DIY Hybrid Pedal Function

CrushedCan

• Members

I have a boss SD-1 which I love, but only want on the distortion channel of my amp. When I play clean, I want it off.

My amp has the typical 1/4 inch footswitch for switching channels, so I was thinking of drilling a whole into the boss, adding another 1/4 inch cable to it that would go to the footswitch jack, and giving it the dual purpose of switching channels and being an overdrive.

The issue here is I'm not entirely sure how to deal with the guts part of it. I'm very new to pedal mods, and this isn't really one I've heard of before.

Any ideas?

• Members

I don't think it would be easy or practical to mod your Boss pedal that way. A better solution would be to make (or maybe buy) a "loop switcher" type of pedal. Basically, get a MXR style enclosure and a 3 pole, double throw footswitch; one set of switch contacts controls the amp channel, the other 2 sets are the bypass for your SD-1. You'll need 5 jacks: one for the amp channel switching, then jacks for guitar, amplifier, send and return.

Building one of these would be a lot easier than trying to cram another switch into a boss pedal.

• Members

Grumpy's idea sounds better but if you realy want it all contained in the Boss pedal, I think youl need to do a true bypass mod and use a switch with enough poles that it can also be used for amp switching. If it calls for 3pdt then you'l need a 4pdt. You'l basicaly be adding a jack and a switch to your DS-1. Or if all of that sounds too confusing just put your DS-1 right next to your channel switcher and stomp them at the same time.

• Members

building a looper pedal and using a 4pdt switch would probibly work best. You may be able to do it with a 3pdt switch if you dont need an LED. You do have to open the amp channel switch and check and see how its wired and what kind of switch is used. If its a standard on on switch that clicks you're good. If its a momentary switch it cant be done thet way. Best way to deal with a momentary and latching switch is to mount them close together and hit them at the same time.

Archived