Stacking Opamps?

john l

• Members

Ive been tweaking out on one of my SD1s circuits and have it pretty well dialed into what I think is my favorite OD ever, but one thing I havent tried is stacking two JRC4558DDs together. How is this assembled? Tack the legs together and solder to the board? Also does anyone have a link to a reputable vendor for JRC4558Ds like they had in the Japanese ones? Thanks fellas.

• Members

Yep ! this works well in the SD1 , a pair of JRC 4558D will sound great !!

The best thing to do is install a op amp socket , then you can experiement

with different op amps and combinations of etc .

If your SD1 is in stock format , this will be a subtle difference in sound/tone , but if you have other mods done to it , the op amp swap and stack will be

alot more pronounced , stacked op amps tend to bring out the best in a good modded pedal !!

Pm me for more tricks ...

• Members

that is cool

pics please

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bossarea.com%2Fforum%2Ftopic.asp%3FTOPIC_ID%3D3368&rct=j&q=stacking++op+amps&ei=BeemS-mCOYbcsgPWmpW9BA&usg=AFQjCNECxLlVHINx8ibROAo_XBkej1jBgQ

Not really noticing anything mind blowing with two JRC4558DD's but I have a few others on order to audition. As you said this might be due to the fact that Im still dealing with a relatively stock circuit. The overall mod is very non intrusive and just changes the range of level boost available along with the type of clipping. I going to try different combos of opamps since they sum together once linked, fun stuff

• Members

Monte Allums uses stacked op-amps in some of his mods. I recently finished the Opto-Plus mod on my CS-3, and it was a HUGE improvement. I also did the BD-2 H20 plus mod, and it was awesome as well.

He sells an adapter that allows you to stack the chips without soldering them together. It would be good to have if you plan on experimenting.

• Members

Not really noticing anything mind blowing with two JRC4558DD's but I have a few others on order to audition. As you said this might be due to the fact that Im still dealing with a relatively stock circuit. The overall mod is very non intrusive and just changes the range of level boost available along with the type of clipping. I going to try different combos of opamps since they sum together once linked, fun stuff

Be carefull not all 4558 opamps are compatible !

Archived