335 Style Kit Guitar are they out there?

paulydaturk

• Members

Hey everyone,

I've had a lot of luck purchasing guitar kits for various styles of guitars such as Tele's, Strats, LP style guitars to get the finish/sound I want without paying the custom shop prices. I'm curious if there are any kits to build a Gibson ES-335 type guitar out there that any of you have found and had luck with. I've been searching but can't seem to find any.

Thanks!

Turk

• Members

This site sells parts for archtop kit building. I suppose if you made it thinner than a normal archtop, and put a body block in it, you would be in the ballpark of a 335.

Constructing an archtop may require learning a couple of new skills not necessarily needed in normal electric guitar constructions. Like carving, bending. But I say go for it. I am building my first right now.

• Members

sells parts for archtop kit building. I suppose if you made it thinner than a normal archtop, and put a body block in it, you would be in the ballpark of a 335.

Constructing an archtop may require learning a couple of new skills not necessarily needed in normal electric guitar constructions. Like carving, bending. But I say go for it. I am building my first right now.

Thanks for the link. This fool will be parting with some more money soon.

• Members

sells parts for archtop kit building. I suppose if you made it thinner than a normal archtop, and put a body block in it, you would be in the ballpark of a 335.

what about the rest of the guitar "idk"......just buy an allparts neck?

• Members

For me, if I could get just the top I'd be happy. That seems to be the hardest part. Set neck would be a downside IMO. I'd want to put a bolt neck on. I had a 335 Lyle copy with a bolt so I know it has been done.

• Members

We need pics of that please.

Well all I have to show so far is this pic. Needless to say I have been very intimate with a gouge and a scraper the past week. There has got to be an easier way to do this.

archtop_top.jpg

I had a 335 Lyle copy with a bolt so I know it has been done.

When you are building it yourself anything is possible. With a hollow / semi-hollow the neck joint is typically set neck / dovetail / mortise tenon. There is no shortage of debate on which neck joint to use.

• Members

Well all I have to show so far is this pic. Needless to say I have been very intimate with a gouge and a scraper the past week. There has got to be an easier way to do this.

When you are building it yourself anything is possible. With a hollow / semi-hollow the neck joint is typically set neck / dovetail / mortise tenon. There is no shortage of debate on which neck joint to use.

Thanks for the pic. Please update us with a pic every so often.

• Members

For what it is worth I used electric style bolt on neck joints for a cigar box guitar and an acoustic travel guitar. I made the backs removable for neck detachment.

In this video you can kind of see how I did it.

[YOUTUBE]w-IIISAFKBs[/YOUTUBE]

Here is the neck joint I really like for acoustic or jazz guitars:

http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Articles/Special%20interest/headblock.html

Archived