• Members

Hey everyone, Thanks for reading.

So I purchased a FOSTEX VF160ex recently

and started recording a 3 song demo for my

band just to get my feet wet with it.

I have a pretty good understanding so far

on what's what, but there's one thing thats

driving me up a wall. Can anyone tell me how

to apply effects to just ONE part of a vocal pattern?

I know how to apply effects to the entire channel

but that's not what I want to do. I just want to have

the last word of a sentence delay out. Does it have

something to do with the scene memory or the punch in/punch out?

I do have the manual but it's basically written in greek for me.

Thank you in advance. It's the only thing holding back the demo

from being finished.

D. Jonathan

• Members

Yes read the manual. That kind of editing is a snap and a click in a DAW, but on hard drive unit its much tougher because you need to use the manual for everything till you memorise everything.

My guess to how its done is to copy the track, delete everything but the part you want the effect on, then go back to the original track and delete the part thet you want the effect on.

Then during playback the original track will drop out and the new track will play back that part with the effect.

Now there may be other non distructive methods I dont know without reading the manual. You would think you couls set up markers to highlight parts of a track, then only apply effects to those parts of the tracks without having to copy the tracks.

In the old analog multitrack days, you would bounce a track and rerecord it and add effects manually with external devices. Many of those techniques havent been learned by the new generation or people getting into recording so they are completely lost for tricks in getthing things done nor making sence of what they read when its right in front of them.

In a daw, you simply highlight the part of the track you want the effect added, cut an paste that part of the track and apply effects, or you can simply hit the process tab, select you effect and apply it to the original track, done. Its a 3 second, 3 click proceedure depending on the program you use.

• Members

You might be able to bus the vocal track to a new one, apply the effect to the new track and then only push record (or punch in/punch out) on the new track during the section you want to add effects plays so you end up with the section on a new track with effect.

The punch in and punch out feature must have some means of 'markers' to set where it can punch in and out. If you can set those markers to the section you want the effect and tell it to apply effect during that section instead of record during that section would be nice but only the manual can answer that.

Is there a forum for users of your device? That is where you might get some fast help...

Another method would be to use the hardware to get a dry recording of your bands performance then load from the hardware into a DAW for editing/processing.

Archived