Custom Lighting Rig

S J B

• Members

Hey Guys,

This one goes out to the hard-core DIYers out there!

I (guitarist) wanna build a custom lighting rig so that when my band is playing at smaller venues (pubs and clubs), we can wow the kiddies with flashing lights syncronised with the music.

Here

• Members

I've built dozens of poor mans light shows in the past.

To tell you the truth, its alot cheaper and safer to buy them now.

The type I built passed 110v AC through the cables.

I saved allot of money because I happened to have multiconductor cable on my last build.

I used colored floodlights and porcelen sockets. Incadecent bulbs are about $10 each but are nearly impossible to find now.

The flourcent lights have a big time delay and dont work in a sequenced array so you have to pay even more now for

loght show bulbs and buy jells to color the white lights.

I bought Porcelin lamp sockets and mounted them in long U shaped boxes made of thin plywood.

I used pushbutton wall switches to activate the different colors, and wired in multi connector sockets.

It had no automation other than using my foot on the switches

In order to do that the boxes must contain SSR's and you win a low level DC signal top the boxes.

Then you have to build a brain to sequence the signals to the SSR's. AC gets sent to the boxes and the SSR's (solid state relays)

are turned on and off by the sequencer. When you add up the cost of all the components you're easily looking at some big bucks.

Last time I checked Musicians friend had light box arrays in the $200s.

The bulbs and sockets alone to build your own will cost that much.

Plus you would be dealing with flood lights that are 150W each and blow the fuses in most clubs.

• Members

I would definitely go LED, stay away from incandescent fixtures. The power draw alone can make them a PITA to use in some places. Also, in lighting a live band, less is more. Lights pulsing to the music is ok for a dance club but for a live band it can get annoying rather quickly. Having a look for the intro of the song, one for the verses, one for the chorus, maybe 1 for the solo is usually about all you'll need (and all you'll be able to manage) without a dedicated lighting person.

Archived