Video clip, MOD 102 5w Amp Kit

Casey4s

• Members

I recently built a MOD 102 5w amplifier kit from Aplifiedparts.com . It turned out to be a pretty versitale amplifier for co,pareable 5w SE amps.

This is their add for the kit:

http://modkitsdiy.com/kit/mod_102

I didn't like the chassis style so while it was in shipping I folded a 13.5x5x2 chassis similiar to a Hammond 1444-18. Then I installed it in a small combo cabinet with a 10" MOD ceramic speaker.

I had some students from the local "School of Rock" help with the video, they are 16 I think.

YouTube clip:

I will post a build thread with photos, in a few days.

• Members

Very nice looking build. The heart in the back of the cabinet was a nice touch.

I do have a question about the amp. I see that it has a single 12ax7 and a single EL84, does that just have the two triodes in the 12ax7 connected in a cascade without a phase inverter? If so, I am guessing that is why the single EL84 is only outputting 5w, instead of the 9-10w that an EL84 is capable of producing.

• Members

A SE EL84 is usually at 5 watts or so, you would have to bias the output tube at 100% to get 9 or 10 watts and it wouldn't last very long. It's single ended, there is no phase inverter, there is nothing to invert.

• Members

For some reason, I was thinking of it as a Push-Pull (even though you called it a SE right at the beginning).

I was comparing it to the Firefly circuit that I built. Now that you mention it, I see it all because the EL84 doesn't have the two triodes of the 12au7 that I used and you only have the single power tube (not even two running in parallel). I feel a bit of a bonehead for that comment now that I think about it.

The numbers made sense to me at the time because my next planned build is a Marshall 1974x clone that is also a push-pull with 2 EL84 tubes at 18w, but that is a different animal.

• Members

I built firefly three years ago, and that is a push pull amp in self split mode and not single ended, both triodes are in one tube. Try a 12BH7 in the 12AU7 slot it's a nicer sounding tube IMHO, with a touch more power.

• Members

I recently built a MOD 102 5w amplifier kit from Aplifiedparts.com ..............

I didn't like the chassis style so while it was in shipping I folded a 13.5x5x2 chassis similiar to a Hammond 1444-18. .........

If you folded the chassis from a flat sheet, please post pics of this. That's fantastic.:eek:

• Members

You can use a smaller brake (&cheaper) if you are only going to do that type of chassis. When you fold boxes and pans in one piece you need a box brake like mine. If you use stock thicker than .061 it is a lot tougher even on my brake. It took me two tries to make a slant front Fender style chassis because I was using .070 stock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Actually, I do have a question!

I've built a couple of small amps and the problem for me is that the layouts don't lend themselves to cab mounting and I'm dead tired of building heads. At this point I need a grab-and-go.

Is the Hammond chassis that you're referring to, actually fit this build or is it a chassis that can be used if I don't mind a few extra holes here and there?

Also, what are the chances of getting you to fold and punch a cab chassis for me? That would definitely get me on board 'cause the amp sounds great. It's just too bad that the kit supplier isn't offering an optional chassis for such a neat kit.

• Members

Actually, I
do
have a question!

I've built a couple of small amps and the problem for me is that the layouts don't lend themselves to cab mounting and I'm dead tired of building heads. At this point I need a grab-and-go.

That was why I went to the Hammond style chassis. The Hammond is onl 7.5sq in larger, almost the same. Tweed style cabinets like my 5C1 I used here or a 5E3 the faceplate opening is exactly 12" only giving yuo 3/4" on each end to hang the chassis. Look at my photo and you'll see how close the hanger bolts are the edge. If you are building your own cabinet, then just adjust the faceplate opening.

Is the Hammond chassis that you're referring to, actually fit this build or is it a chassis that
can
be used if I don't mind a few extra holes here and there?

I built the cabinet circa 2000 and have had at least 4 real Hammond 1444-18 chassis in it. You can buy the Hammond chassis (which is spot welded and stronger than mine. At AES ( tubesansmore.com ) they are $14.95. You would have to drill all the holes yourself for the front panel, the interior where the term strips go. ( I could send you a sketch for that layout )

I could draw you a sketch for the bottom where the PT and tubes go too if you feel you need it.

Also, what are the chances of getting you to fold and punch a cab chassis for me? That would definitely get me on board 'cause the amp sounds great. It's just too bad that the kit supplier isn't offering an optional chassis for such a neat kit.

I have too much going on right now, sorry.

The steel and Aluminum chassis cost about the same and the predrilling should cost about the same too. Too bad they don't offer it as an option.

Do you havew expereience working with raw chassis? If not there might be a few useful pointers here about methods and tools. It does use a Hammond 1444-18 chassis in the photos.

http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/content/how-layout-and-build-guitar-amplifier-chassis

• Members

I like the amp,were in a small spanish village in Almeria spain,so its to expensive for us to ship here but me and my kid would spend hours on this sort of kit stuff if it was easy to get hold of here,plus i like the min controls on the amp.

keep on rocking in the not so free world !

• Members

Best of luck to you on your build. :thu: This makes a great basic instructional amplifier as well as a decent dorm or bedroom amp. You can replace the EL84 with an EL844 which is a lower power tube but compreses really nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey,

I know you're trying to sell amp kits but truthfully, 5 watts is far too loud to be useful as a bedroom amp. Heck, even the Gilmore Jr 1/2 watt amp (Which is much closer to the mark.) is, at break-up volume, way too loud to use at night or in an apartment unless you live in the subway or add the attenuator mod.

5 Watts of tube amp is more like something you'd use for small gigs.

• Members
Hey,

I know you're trying to sell amp kits
but truthfully, 5 watts is far too loud to be useful as a bedroom amp. Heck, even the Gilmore Jr 1/2 watt amp (Which is much closer to the mark.) is, at break-up volume, way too loud to use at night or in an apartment unless you live in the subway or add the attenuator mod.

5 Watts of tube amp is more like something you'd use for small gigs.

I am not selling anything and I get paid by no one. But if you think 5 watts is still too much there is the Gilmore amps and AX-84 Firefly among others.

• Members

I was looking at the Mod 102 today. I'm considering a build. I have some electronics background from A&P school so I know enough to get me in trouble.
:lol:
Would you consider this a good build for a tube noob? The price is not bad.

Yes if you can solder you can build it. It has excellent well illustrated instructions. Yes I would recommend it to noobs. (who can solder)

• Members

I built the Gilmore Jr kit about four years ago as my first amp build and it was very satisfying. It's a nice kit with super high quality parts, a wonderful instruction manual, amazing buyer support and with a good speaker, it sounds terrific. I run mine at both 1/2 or two watts depending, through a 12" alnico Blue Dog. I also have a Rock block 1/2 to 2 watt amp and thats a really versatile, beautifully built little amp, but to be truthful, neither on my amps was inexpensive.

Once I finished my Gilmore Jr, I was astounded at how loud it was so I added an attenuator whick helps a lot. The idea that a five watt amp is a good choice for bedroom use is misleading. My 1/2 watt amps are 25% as loud as 50 watts, a 5 watt tube amp is 50% as loud as 50 watts and my 50 watt amp out on my patio is loud enough to hear at several blocks away.

I'm all for people getting their hands dirty building amps but for true bedroom/living-room/apartment use, something like a Roland Microcube is a much better, much cheaper and far more flexible option and at about $100 OTD they're a huge bargain.

Archived