Partial phasing of a humbucker

Lodefinition

• Members

I've just bought a new set of humbuckers, they came with a leaflet showing how to do coil taps and series/parallel switches- pretty common switching however it also had an option for "partial phasing" which I've never seen before. It basically switches from normal series bucker to series out of phase with a 0.0021 (no units specified) capacitor between coils.

Unfortunatly I'm struggling to upload the diagram as I'm on my phone. It claims this partial phasing tends to give a better single coil sound than conventional splitting. I was wondering if any of you guys had dabbled in this and how it compares to usual coil split and parallel options.

• Members

Reverse pkasing the two coils of a single humbucker sucks.

The coils are too close together and completely cancel each other out.

It sound like they are reversing one coil but limiting ones output so its

blending only some of the reversal on the second coil to prevent complete

cancellation of the signal. If so, then it is what it is.

I've used every combination possible with pickups and the only ones I use any more

is series/parallel. If I need a single coil sound I just plug in a guitar with single coils.

Humbuckers just arent designed to sound good as singles.

If you havent tried it you should go for it. You dont know what you like until you have

messed with all the possibilities.

• Members

The cap (I'm guessing it's 0.002 uF) would remove some of the highs from the out-of-phase sound.

I wonder if a person could put a pot (maybe 1K or so) across the 2nd coil and use the center terminal to control the mix of in-phase & out-of-phase sound? Anybody ever try this? Just a thought...

• Members

The cap (I'm guessing it's 0.002 uF) would remove some of the highs from the out-of-phase sound.

I wonder if a person could put a pot (maybe 1K or so) across the 2nd coil and use the center terminal to control the mix of in-phase & out-of-phase sound? Anybody ever try this? Just a thought...

I've done it for a coil tap. I have a flying V with only three pots, two volumes and a tone. I rewired the tone pot so if I pan the pot to one extreme,

it will tap out the coils on one pup or the other, or a partial of both in the center. Witha partial phase you would be doing the same thing except

you would be going from a coil tap to an out of phase pickup. It would work, I just dont know if it would be worth the hastle unless the pup is super muddy

normall phased.

Archived