Telecaster Wiring Help

benecol

• Members

Hello all - my first time in the DIY forum, I'm usually to be found flitting around HCEFX. Could I possibly pick your brains?

The lovely Mark Jenny is building me a tele: shell pink light ash body, enormous Musikraft Fat C 1" maple neck, since you're asking. While he's working his magic, I'm here in the UK sourcing all the extra bits I'll need for the build: had two Grolsches to source my strap locks, bought a set of Nocaster pickups last week. So far, so good.

It gets a bit confusing when I go to buy my wiring kit. AxesRUs are my supplier of choice in the UK (fair prices, good customer service, actually run by people etc), and I've been looking at the 1967-1988 wiring kit, five down on this page. I figure that'll work fine with the three-way standard tele layout:

Wiring3-way.gif

My questions are:

- 250k, right?

- Do I need split or solid shaft?

- Logarithmic, Linear or one of each?

- 0.001 treble bleed cap, 0.047 tone cap?

That's about right, isn't it? I just want vanilla tele wiring - I plan to flip the control plate for easier volume swells, but that's it. Not arsed about four way switching or anything (whisper it, but I don't really like it, plus I'm clumsy and I always switch past the neck pickup and end up on the hairy-chested setting).

So is my shopping list about right?

• Members

Most of it is preference. Most people run split shaft log pots in 250K. I like to use 300K to add a bit of bite, but that's just me. As far as the treble bleed, I'd wire it without first and see how it works with just the .047. The only time a treble bleed helps is if the pups get a bit muddy when turning the volume down. I have yet to see a tele, or any sc equipped guitar that really needs a treble bleed. Some humbuckers will. That's just my personal experience.

• Members

Much obliged to you: I'll order that treble bleed cap, but only wire it in if I need it. If I don't wire it in, do I need to do anything instead? Wire a jumper or whatever?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=66tele

Like this. Yes it calls for a .05 cap. IME there's so little difference between a .047 and a .05 you couldn't hear the difference. Andthe .047 is easy to find whereas the .05? I ain't never seen one.

• Members

pretty much answered so far, but your diagram in the 1st post is good. if you want it more towards bright-more bright sounding, use a 500k pot. use an A500k for the volume and B500k for the tone (thats log for volume, linear for tone).

if youre removing the treble bleed, then all you do in the first pictures is remove the .001uf jumper cap. dont need to replace it with anything

split vs solid as said depends on knobs chosen. most of the time it wont matter because it will be push on knobs, but if you have a set screw, youll want solid.

• Members

Thanks all - much appreciated. Now I just need to improve my abysmal soldering skills.

Many people only think they have lousy soldering skills. Then they learn that keeping the tip clean and tinned makes them solder like a pro. Tin the tip and wipe it on a damp sponge after every solder connection. How do I know this?:facepalm:and:facepalm:

• Members

oh so true.

i got a soldering iron from my father. black as can be (the iron, not my dad...). never cleaned it, and i thought MAN this thing sucks! or maybe i suck!

i got a $4 iron at Shucks a few weeks ago, and man i rock at soldering now! =p its weird, it actually like, melts the stuff!

• Members

oh so true.

i got a soldering iron from my father. black as can be (the iron, not my dad...). never cleaned it, and i thought MAN this thing sucks! or maybe i suck!

i got a $4 iron at Shucks a few weeks ago, and man i rock at soldering now! =p its weird, it actually like, melts the stuff!

All you had to do was sandpaper the tip and re-tin it.

• Members

its from probably the late 70s. lol

its true, i probably could have, but when i saw how cheap the new one was, i couldnt pass it up. it even smelled nice until i plugged it in

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062721&numProdsPerPage=60

Don't give up on the old one just yet. Sand the old tip, get it hot and dip it in this stuff. I've taken to using it after every solder connection. After dipping it in, I wipe my tip on her drapes/I mean on a towel. Works great.

Archived