Bare wood electric body - something to protect until I can paint?

mosshowl

• Members

I've got a Univox Les Paul Jr. that I sanded down to the bare wood several years ago, planning to paint it (a friend found it in the garbage, painted with stop-sign red wall paint). I'd still like to paint it someday, but am unable to right now; I put it back together and would like to play it. My question is, if I play it and maybe get some sweat/oils in the body, will that jeopardize a future paint job? Is there something I should put on it to protect it until I can have it painted?

Painting it myself is not really an option, and I won't have the money to have it done for a long while I'm sure. (btw if anyone can give me an idea of how much it should cost I'd appreciate that info. would the fact that it's already sanded bring it down a bit?)

Thanks for any advice.

• Members

Anything you put on it that sinks into the grain will need to be sanded off prior to painting.

The only exception is to put a primer on there like shelac that acceptc paint over it and if you're going to

apply schelac, you have to strip it, and if you're going to strip it, you may as well paint it at the same time. Right?

Since you're going to paint it eventually, why worry about the raw wood getting stained?

You're going to paint over it right? You'll only need to use a little naphia to remove any finger oils, and sand it a little

before applying schelac as a primer before painting.

You definately dont want to apply oils or waxes. Those would cause problems applying paint over them.

• Members

OK, it sounds like if I do get it dirty or grimy in any way, that it will be able to be handled by the person painting it, by applying naphia and sanding it a little. Cool.

I wasn't concerned about it for appearances' sake; I was worried about the paint "sticking" or adhering (I guess) to the stained area. Thanks for putting my mind at ease, I'm going to be playing in a few hours and now I can go in worry-free!

Anyone have a ballpark figure for how much a paint job should cost? Not looking for any fancy sunbursts or metallic or sparkly finishes; just ol' fashioned TV yellow. There's not even binding on the neck. Not going to do it myself. I hear painting guitars is a pretty tricky business, and as I'm not very handy at that kind of thing in the first place, I do NOT want to mess this guitar up.

• Members

I've been charging $200 including materials. But I'm only willing to do it for local peeps as they sometimes change their mind halfway thru. Email communication can sometimes fook things up and I wouldn't want to risk leaving someone unsatisfied. But that should give you a rough idea. And yes, naptha is a good cleaning solvent. A little bit and a red scotchbrite pad will leave an unfinished surface ready for painting.

• Members

Its not a fun job and though the supplies are likely on the $50 range, the hours it takes to do it right and get a pro look

is not easy. I wouldnt do it for others for under $200 myself. You could try an auto body shop and try to find someone wanting to make a quick buck.

• Members

I dunno, I'd be tempted to just get a rattle can of shellac and give it a few light coats. Shellac can be used as a finish all by itself. At least the grime wouldn't get into the wood. And shellac has been used as a sealer for all types of paint, so it doesn't matter if you later want to finish it with dog poo. It'll still stick to the shellac.

• Members

I dunno, I'd be tempted to just get a rattle can of shellac and give it a few light coats. Shellac can be used as a finish all by itself. At least the grime wouldn't get into the wood. And shellac has been used as a sealer for all types of paint, so it doesn't matter if you later want to finish it with dog poo. It'll still stick to the shellac.

He has it put back together already.

If he were to break it down and spray it with shelac, he may as well just go all the way and paint it.

• Members

Dog poo, although highly resiliant and smelly, would not make a good finish, as it does wear quickly and rubs off. True professionals rarely use dog poo.

Archived