Recommend me a air compressor

theManfromAlabam

• Members

My air compressor died, it was a rotary powered Huskey (Loud as hell and would take forever to build pressure) total piece of {censored}.

I think a piston with oil engine would be better, more reliable and not as loud.

Anyway, what is a decent compressor at $150 - $500 for ocassional air tool use on auto's, gas powered engines, inflating tires and blowing/cleaning guitars and amps with?

• Members

Tank size is the important factor. The amount of air it can store and deliver will determine how good it will perform for certain tools. Decide what functions you will use it for, then consult this chart:
http://www.sears.com/ue/tool/110109_s_Air%20Compressor%20Chart.pdf
. Then find the most bang for the buck you can afford.

Thank you so much for the chart, that is very helpful :)

• Members

I'm running a Craftsman 33 gal. It's still noisier than a 240 volt monster but I've used it for everything. It can't quite keep up with my die grinder, but only when I'm using the phuck out of it. The chart is a good place to start. I'll probably move up to a bigger one in about a year. Figure out what you'll need and go one size bigger, if you can afford it. $500 should get you a good one.

• Members

Check out Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors.html

I've had this model for several years and been so happy with it my dad just bought one as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/2-hp-8-gallon-125-psi-portable-air-compressor-67501.html

I've bought air tools from them as well - a finish nailer and a narrow crown stapler that are both doing just fine. I've also bought power tools from them - the 10" sliding compound miter saw and a belt sander and both are going strong after 8 years.

• Members

If you are going for a larger tank model, like a 20 gallon or more, you really want the compressor to have an oil bath. It will be quieter and last far longer. Oil-less compressors use nylon/plastic rings and can rip apart. Oil baths are like engines. Of course, you need a larger tank for high-volume tasks like a die-grinder or automotive tools.

For high-pressure, low volume apps, primarily nail guns, that isn't used continuously, a small pancake like a Porter-Cable oil-less, are great. For commercial apps, the smaller tank high-end models are better--no bigger than the pancake but cost a lot more.

• Members

An old piston oil with a 220v are easy to fix. Years ago got one for $10 with a 80ft hose, had a blown gasket and seized roller bearing so abit of time breaking it down, cleaning the metal reeds, a piece gasket paper, new bearing and fresh oil; has worked like a charm....chug, chug, chug instead of the waaaaaaaa.

IMG_0725.JPG

• Members

About five years ago I bought a Sears 25 gallon, 175 PSI, 3.5 HP oil less compressor that runs on 110 and it has served me well.

I can do everything I need to do. Paint, fill tires, blow out the garage, etc, etc. The one thing that it can't do is to keep up with air tools but those things are so noisy, that I don't use them out of consideration of my neighbors.

If you need more compressor that what I have, I'd suggest that you jump right into the 220 volt stand-ups. Just be warned... every one I've been around had been a noisy as hell and totally unsuitable for residential use.

Once you own a compressor, you'll find a million uses for it!

Archived