TR-505 Modification

BGRENNAN0218

• Members

I have an old Roland TR-505 drum composer. I have seen people circuit bend and modify these. I would like to do the same thing but I am new to the world of circuit boards, soldering, and modifications.

Does anyone have any tips/info or know of any recources of how to do this? Any help would be most appreciated!!

• Members

The only advice I can give is to get a good soldering station rather than a simple soldering pencil. I've yet to invest in one because I've only been doing guitar mods. But I'm doing enough of that to warrant a station that allows adjustable heat. As far as soldering itself, there is only 2 ways to become proficient at it. The first is to practice. The second is to practice some more. Google soldering. Get some scrap wire. Learn to make secure solder joints in the wire. Wire is cheap. PC boards, not so much.

It may be best for you to get a 30 watt soldering pencil and do a few guitar mods first to see if it's your bag.

• Members

40w iron works well on parts with a lot of metal (backs of vol/tone pots come to mind), but for more delicate work (like printed circuit boards) a lower wattage (15-20w) avoids damaging lands, chips, etc. look for computer grade or rosin core solder (radio shack if no where else), as it doesn't contain corrosive flux. also, solder wick (copper braid in a dispenser) can be a life saver.

Archived