Recommend me a wire stripper

Wayne2

• Members

My wire stripper is crap. I'm tired of struggling with it. It's gotten to the point I use a cutter now to nip away at the insulation and then pull it off. Sometimes I use cloth pushback wire just because I don't want to deal. I don't want to live like this anymore.

Please recommend me the Cadillac of wire strippers. Money is no object. It doesn't need to do everything, just be the best for stuff like guitar, amp, and effect projects.

• Members

Professional electricians and other tradesman prefer KLEIN tools. (they sell 'em at Home Depot too).

I prefer this style:
11045_ICON.JPG

Over this style...
1000_ICON.JPG

*edit* The "automatic" style strippers that Belva linked to work well also, but they are bulkier and more expensive generally than normal strippers. The convenience is nice if you have a lot of wires to strip, for what I do the shear-type strippers work fine.

• Members

Ok I've decided to get a Klein, but noticed that they have ones that say they're for solid wire (11047), stranded wire (11046), and ones that can handle both (11057). They also have all different ranges gauges of wire they cut. I'm leaning towards the 11046 just because the range of 16-26 AWG matches what I do most, and stranded wire is what gives me the most trouble.

Does anyone have any experience trying to strip a solid wire with the stranded tool. Am I likely to cause the universe to end?

• Members

Does anyone have any experience trying to strip a solid wire with the stranded tool. Am I likely to cause the universe to end?

The tools are the same, the difference is in the sizing. Stranded wire will be slightly thicker than the same guage (AWG) of solid wire. If you're nicking off strands when stripping stranded wire, move up to the next size hole.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've always used the type with the cutting blade closer to the handle. i.e. The red handled one.

If you hold it in your R/H and the wire in L/H thumb and 1st finger, you can lever the insulation off with the smaller fingers of the left hand.

Where as the long nose type means pulling both hands apart. Can be a safety thing.

2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived