No announcement yet.

Drum panning

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zooey View Post

Do you also avoid player's perspective on other percussion instruments like vibraphone or piano?
    All of those instruments are perceived by the audience as a point source in the stereo field, not as having a stereo field in and of themselves. Unless specifically directed otherwise by a client I treat them as such. I find that they sit in a mix much better that way.
    Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

All of those instruments are perceived by the audience as a point source in the stereo field, not as having a stereo field in and of themselves.
      I might have misunderstood what you do with drums, I understood your comment to mean you pan the drums opposite of player's perspective.

Drums are the same way as what you describe. You don't sit in the audience and hear the hi-hat on the on the right hand side of the drummer's body and the floor tom on the left.

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post

Or steel drum?
        I've had the distinct pleasure of running live sound for, and also recording a steel drum band from Trinidad and Tobago. When you get 20 or so sets of pans going all at once, it's quite a sound!

You may decide to pan the individual err, pans, but once you get out into the audience, they're a point source, as Anton was saying. About the only person who gets any kind of stereo perspective is a player who is playing two or three different pans. If a pannist is playing a single pan, then they're hearing it as a point source too.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Zooey View Post

I might have misunderstood what you do with drums, I understood your comment to mean you pan the drums opposite of player's perspective.

Drums are the same way as what you describe. You don't sit in the audience and hear the hi-hat on the on the right hand side of the drummer's body and the floor tom on the left.
          You're correct, drums are also perceived as a point source. However, in recording, I almost always use a stereo pair to capture the room, and those mics get panned wide because the drum set being roughly in the center of the image is well represented by the room mics, and will give the recording a "natural" sound that our ears can relate to. For similar reasons, film recordists and mixers will always add "room tone" to any dubbed scene or dialog - it sounds unnatural without.
          Last edited by Red Ant; 05-15-2019, 01:42 PM.
          Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by gismo recording View Post
            Reminds me of a keyboard part I played in a song my band did. I was using a tenor sax sample but I played it totally legato with no rests. When I listened back to the recording I realized that there's no way a sax player could play 16 bars straight without taking a breath.
            I remember hearing a cut from Steve Winwood's Arc of a Diver solo album in a mall somewhere. The music was off in the distance and I really believed I was hearing a saxophone.

When I listen to it up close it sounds more like a Mini Moog...

The phrasing and the choice of notes - especially the bit that starts around 3:26 - had a more profound impact than the actual sound of the waveform.

Last edited by onelife; 05-15-2019, 02:06 PM.
            The human species is an outcrop of this planet. The damage we do to this planet, we do to ourselves. It is in the hands of this generation to turn this disastrous situation around. ~Sadhguru

Comment

There's nothing quite like playing a "tenor sax" solo on a Korg M-1, then having an actor with a saxello (curved soprano sax) mime being blind and mime one's playing in the music video

Nice solo - the piano sounds like it could have been from the M1 also.
              The human species is an outcrop of this planet. The damage we do to this planet, we do to ourselves. It is in the hands of this generation to turn this disastrous situation around. ~Sadhguru

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post

Nice solo - the piano sounds like it could have been from the M1 also.
                Nope, the piano is the studio's yamaha grand. The bass is from the M1 though.

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Been said since the early 80s... and yet there is still an abundance of drummers
                  This is horrible news....
                  __________________________________________________ _________
                  arcadesonfire:
                  And even if I were complaining about Democrats in general, I think it's healthy to critique one's own kind
                  ______________________________________________ _________
                  guido61: Nobody wants to be around No Fun Trump
                  __________________________________________________ ______
                  Zig al-din: The whole concept of a polite political dialogue is an oxymoron
                  _____________________________________________ _________
                  ​prolurkerguy: Knee jerk + soap box = injury waiting to happen

Comment

Originally posted by jorhay1 View Post

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by jorhay1 View Post

Cue the drummer jokes...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Cue the drummer jokes...
                        Did you hear about the drummer who locked his keys in the car?

Took him hours to get the bass player out.

Is This Thing On?

https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Cue the drummer jokes...
                          Nah, lets just skip to paying him for the pizza

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Nah, lets just skip to paying him for the pizza
                            How can you tell the pizza delivery guy is an out of work drummer?

The knock on the door rushes / speeds up...

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                            X