Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum panning

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Drum panning

    I generally outsource my drum tracks; I found a drummer on Soundbetter.com that does a great job on my songs and he plays and tracks his kit very well for my needs. But mixing drums can be challenging.
    Looking for opinions on the best way to pan a real drum kit when mixing drums. where do you pan the overheads and the room mics when mixing drums?
    __________________________________________________
    Politics are like sports, where both teams suck

    Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

    Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
    For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
    Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

  • #2
    1st decision: Drummers' perspective or audience perspective? I prefer Audience, myself.

    Kick & Snare: up the middle.
    HH: 45-50% to the right
    Toms: spread right to left from about 20-25% right to about 60-75% left.
    Overheads: Stereo
    Room mics: Stereo (or up the middle for a mono room mic)

    Make certain that the L-R orientation of the Overheads and Room mics matches your chosen perspective.

    For that matter, when I mix drums I will bring up the OH and Room to find as precisely as I can where the toms show up in the stereo image, and then place my direct tom mics to match. Hi-hat as well.
    Last edited by Red Ant; 05-11-2019, 02:54 PM.
    Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

    -- Vaclav Havel

    The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

    -- Carl Sagan


    Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

    -- Joseph Brodsky

    Comment


    • #3
      If you have a lot of wide panning with other instruments like stereo guitars for example sometimes mono drums can sound huge.
      __________________________________________________

      Is This Thing On?

      https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

      Comment


      • #4
        As much as I love real drummers, Addictive Drums etc. doesn`t argue and you don`t have to ask for re-dos.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Red Ant View Post
          1st decision: Drummers' perspective or audience perspective? I prefer Audience, myself.

          Kick & Snare: up the middle.
          HH: 45-50% to the right
          Toms: spread right to left from about 20-25% right to about 60-75% left.
          Overheads: Stereo
          Room mics: Stereo (or up the middle for a mono room mic)

          Make certain that the L-R orientation of the Overheads and Room mics matches your chosen perspective.

          For that matter, when I mix drums I will bring up the OH and Room to find as precisely as I can where the toms show up in the stereo image, and then place my direct tom mics to match. Hi-hat as well.
          Do you reverse this for left handed drummers?

          I only think of this because I’ve played with a leftie drummer for years, so whenever I hear “audience” panned toms on recording, they usually sound backwards to me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by redEL34 View Post
            As much as I love real drummers, Addictive Drums etc. doesn`t argue and you don`t have to ask for re-dos.
            That only works if
            a) you can think and hear like a drummer and
            b) you have the time and patience to put in to make it sound right.

            I can do both quite well, if i do say so myself, but I'll take a great drummer over VST every time. Fortunately Austin is home to a number of ridiculously great drummers.

            I use AD for my demos which I then hand to .my drummer(s) of choice. Then they make it better
            Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

            -- Vaclav Havel

            The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

            -- Carl Sagan


            Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

            -- Joseph Brodsky

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

              That only works if
              a) you can think and hear like a drummer and
              b) you have the time and patience to put in to make it sound right.

              I can do both quite well, if i do say so myself, but I'll take a great drummer over VST every time. Fortunately Austin is home to a number of ridiculously great drummers.

              I use AD for my demos which I then hand to .my drummer(s) of choice. Then they make it better
              I have done some insane over-drumming that took me forever. I find manipulated loops and programming, along with separating each drum per track, sounds pretty damn real.

              Comment


              • #8
                The real trick with drum programming or midi instruments is to be stylistic. Don't program stuff a human couldn't pull off.
                __________________________________________________

                Is This Thing On?

                https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tom Hicks View Post
                  The real trick with drum programming or midi instruments is to be stylistic. Don't program stuff a human couldn't pull off.
                  Isn't that just what I said in post #6?
                  Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

                  -- Vaclav Havel

                  The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

                  -- Carl Sagan


                  Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

                  -- Joseph Brodsky

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

                    Isn't that just what I said in post #6?
                    If that's what you meant I'm okay with it, because I agree.

                    you're talking about think like a drummer I assume?
                    __________________________________________________

                    Is This Thing On?

                    https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tom Hicks View Post

                      If that's what you meant I'm okay with it, because I agree.

                      you're talking about think like a drummer I assume?
                      Yeah, "think and hear like a drummer".
                      Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

                      -- Vaclav Havel

                      The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

                      -- Carl Sagan


                      Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

                      -- Joseph Brodsky

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

                        Yeah, "think and hear like a drummer".
                        Ok.

                        but if a guy programs a drum part that requires three arms and four legs maybe he's thinking like several drummers.
                        😁


                        but I know what you mean and you know what I mean.

                        don't program a flute to play chords.

                        don't make a trumpet part 3 octaves below middle C.

                        Be stylistic.
                        __________________________________________________

                        Is This Thing On?

                        https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Tom Hicks View Post
                          Don't program stuff a human couldn't pull off.
                          Reminds me of a keyboard part I played in a song my band did. I was using a tenor sax sample but I played it totally legato with no rests. When I listened back to the recording I realized that there's no way a sax player could play 16 bars straight without taking a breath.
                          Best deals on recording
                          Gismo Studios: link
                          My original music on ReverbNation: link
                          Gismo Studios on ReverbNation: link
                          Islam is a much greater threat to the free world than Communism ever was. - Easy Listener

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tom Hicks View Post

                            Ok.

                            but if a guy programs a drum part that requires three arms and four legs maybe he's thinking like several drummers.
                            😁


                            but I know what you mean and you know what I mean.

                            don't program a flute to play chords.

                            don't make a trumpet part 3 octaves below middle C.

                            Be stylistic.
                            I think it just depends on the song and what you’re going for. Unless you’re trying to fool people into thinking you had a real drummer on the track, what does it really matter if the hi hat doesn’t stop for the tom fill or whatever? Who’s going to notice or care? Other musicians?

                            As long as it sounds good?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gismo recording View Post
                              Reminds me of a keyboard part I played in a song my band did. I was using a tenor sax sample but I played it totally legato with no rests. When I listened back to the recording I realized that there's no way a sax player could play 16 bars straight without taking a breath.
                              There's nothing quite like playing a "tenor sax" solo on a Korg M-1, then having an actor with a saxello (curved soprano sax) mime being blind and mime one's playing in the music video

                              Last edited by Red Ant; 05-12-2019, 03:26 PM.
                              Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

                              -- Vaclav Havel

                              The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

                              -- Carl Sagan


                              Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

                              -- Joseph Brodsky

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X