The Mackie Sound - now in headphones?

Mackie has released some new studio headphones...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"mc-250-main-05219010.jpg","data-attachmentid":32468954}[/ATTACH]

I recently checked out the new top of the line MC-250 models; for all the details, be sure to check out my review... and as always, if you have any questions about the review or questions or comments about Mackie's new headphones, this is the place to post them.

• Members

There ARE left / right indicators on the headphones. Hard to see, stamped on the back of the folding mechanism knobs.

Ear pads are removable, have a round form (9 cm), thickness is 2 cm (to front site of the head), 2.5 cm (to back site).

So for best isolation, sound and optimal sitting the correct alignment of the headphone and ear pads is important.

Cable is replaceable with standard 3.5 mm jack cable, if the body of the jack is not to thick (max. 9 mm) to fit through the hole of the headphone connection. Of course without locking mechanism, but that`s really no biggie.

25985dbdfbcdda9c4bd2806cc7e6924b.thumb.jpg.6bbe4c23301c36bf2fd2dfff4f453840.jpg

Thanks for pointing out the location of the L/R indicators Olli - I've edited the article to reflect that. I'm surprised Mackie didn't point that out when they fact-checked the review; they approved it without any suggested factual corrections.

As far as using non-locking cables, I would personally rather not risk having one accidentally come out in the middle of a take, but as long as you're careful, it's probably not going to be an issue. I guess it depends on whether you'd rather use the stock, securely locking straight cable, or a third-party coiled one that might get accidentally pulled out...

The ear pads are in fact removable, but I don't know if Mackie is currently selling replacements or not. I have not been able to locate anything on their site that suggests that they do, nor have I been able to locate replacements at any online retailers either.

• Members

Yes, Mackie is currently not selling replacements pads or cables.

But it`s good to know that you can change both for cleaning, modding or in case of a damage. So you can look at least for third-party replacements.

I bought an additional third-party 1.5m cable for my Notebook, other devices and situations were I don`t need the included 3.0m cable..

Thanks for the review Phil! I happen to be in the market for some cans in the $100 range' date=' mainly for monitoring and for late-night sessions in the home studio, and it seems like these are a good option to look into.[/quote']

I'd definitely recommend trying a pair if you have the chance Ara - in that price range they're very good, solid, general-purpose cans. :wave:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Good cans. Both are a bit more expensive than the Mackies, but it sounds like you're all set... uh, with headsets. :music005:

Yeah, I'm pretty satisfied with the ATH-M50s and the Beyerdynamic DT990s... I have had both now for years. Of course, I'm always open to headphones but I sort of gave up on Mackie when they dropped the d8b and released the debacle known as the dXb...

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Thanks for pointing out the location of the L/R indicators Olli - I've edited the article to reflect that. I'm surprised Mackie didn't point that out when they fact-checked the review; they approved it without any suggested factual corrections.

As far as using non-locking cables, I would personally rather not risk having one accidentally come out in the middle of a take, but as long as you're careful, it's probably not going to be an issue. I guess it depends on whether you'd rather use the stock, securely locking straight cable, or a third-party coiled one that might get accidentally pulled out...

The ear pads are in fact removable, but I don't know if Mackie is currently selling replacements or not. I have not been able to locate anything on their site that suggests that they do, nor have I been able to locate replacements at any online retailers either.

I've had this idea for some years, vis a vis, cables.

Why does no one produce cables with a short section that is coiled? You don't need the whole cable coiled, just a foot or two - to act as a safety buffer. I don't like straight cables. One wrong move and it's YANK.

Same for guitar cables.

I guess it might add to the cost of production but how much? Not much.

I've had this idea for some years, vis a vis, cables.

Why does no one produce cables with a short section that is coiled? You don't need the whole cable coiled, just a foot or two - to act as a safety buffer. I don't like straight cables. One wrong move and it's YANK.

Same for guitar cables.

I guess it might add to the cost of production but how much? Not much.

That's an interesting idea. I don't like coiled cables in general because they get tangled up easily and they're a PITB to store, but a short section as an emergency buffer / strain relief might be a good compromise between fully straight and fully coiled.

Archived