Time based plugin effects...

• Members

The Waves Manny Marroquin reverb is surprisingly useable.

​​​​​​Waves Enigma. I've always liked what it does

Massey TD5. Stephen Massey makes good sounding plugins. The TD5 is kinda cool. Not a huge amount of parameters, but you can automate them for special effects without the sound getting glitchy. Sweep the delay time needle for a cool effect.

Nothing fancy here :)

• Members

I just upgraded to all the latest Soundtoys plug-ins and the delays and plate reverb are pretty great. The guy who owns Soundtoys is ex-Eventide. I was using Softube's TSAR for a while, but it was too power hungry for my CPU. I have since swapped out the CPU on my Mac Pro and I'll give it another shot, though I'm no longer licensed to use the latest version.

On PT specifically I tend to use Revibe for vanilla algorithmic reverb needs and Space for convolution reverb.

• Moderators
So, what are you all using for reverb and delay plugins? I’ve been working on evaluating Eventide’s SP2016 Reverb plug-in and I’m loving it, but thinking about it set me off on a tangent, and thus we end up with this thread....

Verb-wise, I pretty much use the UAD EMT140 exclusively - usually several instances of it with different settings. The UAD Lexicon isn't bad, not is the EMT250, but the 140 is IT for me - the perfect representation of the perfect plate.

I have the Lexicon suite as well, which I will go to for delay sometimes. You'll be shocked at this, but my favorite delay plugins are the delays inside Guitar Rig. :lol:

Verb-wise, I pretty much use the UAD EMT140 exclusively - usually several instances of it with different settings. The UAD Lexicon isn't bad,

Which one - the 224 or the 480L?

nor is the EMT250, but the 140 is IT for me - the perfect representation of the perfect plate.

The EMT250 is really a bit of a quirky oddball (understandable, considering it was the earliest digital reverb), but I've always liked it.

The U/A UAD-2 EMT140 is an awesome plate IMO.

I have the Lexicon suite as well, which I will go to for delay sometimes. You'll be shocked at this, but my favorite delay plugins are the delays inside Guitar Rig. :lol:

Really? I'll have to try to check them out sometime. I don't own a copy of Guitar Rig and really don't have much experience with it...

• Members
Do time-based effects go before or after distortion?

(kidding)

baby-dance

Outside the box, I've actually found that delay before an overdriven plexi is heavenly. You have to keep the delay volume down real low, and it'll come out clean and compressed... Maybe this only works with chorusy Eventide delay though.

• 3 months later...
Have not had at the Eventide products, but after trying out most consumer-level stuff I just sat down on Valhalla Vintage Verb and EchoBoy.

Not much you can't do with those, price is right, sounds great, and nice intuitive interfaces.

The person who founded Soundtoys (the folks who make EchoBoy), along with one of their chief engineers (Ken Bogdanowicz and engineer Bob Belcher) are former Eventide employees who were two of the main dudes behind the legendary Eventide H3000. They definitely know what they're doing.

https://www.soundtoys.com/plugged-in-h3000/

• Moderators

For delay and reverb I mainly use Waves H-Delay and Valhalla Vintage Verb.

I just had a listen to the SP2016 audio demos. Sounds nice, but with a pretty steep price tag.. :eek:

I've actually been dialing back my plug-in spending lately and trying to make the best of what I already have.

• 2 weeks later...
For delay and reverb I mainly use Waves H-Delay and Valhalla Vintage Verb.

I just had a listen to the SP2016 audio demos. Sounds nice, but with a pretty steep price tag.. :eek:

I've actually been dialing back my plug-in spending lately and trying to make the best of what I already have.

I've got quite a few, but there are a few I always seem to go back to the most... particularly the Eventide and UAD stuff. And while their stuff isn't exactly inexpensive, it's much cheaper on a per channel of use basis than the vintage hardware it's modeled on. And that's the stuff I've either been using for ages, or in some cases, always wanted to use, but didn't have access to.

• Members

My current favorite reverb is LogicPro/MainStage ChromaVerb, tried dozens of algorithmic reverbs over the years, and I like this the best. Not much into convolution reverb anymore, I prefer algorithmic.

For delay, I almost always use Expert Sleepers' Meringue, and occasionally their Augustus Loop delay. Others I use are Delay Designer (Logic/MainStage), and AAS Objeq Delay.

Valhalla just released a new delay called Valhalla Delay that I've demoed and like a lot, might buy that for a very reasonable $50.

For delays, I like anything that has a maximum delay time of at least 10 seconds and has regeneration, since I'm interested in experimental music, and not mainstream. Augustus Loop has a maximum delay time of one hour!

For delay, I almost always use Expert Sleepers' Meringue, and occasionally their Augustus Loop delay.

From their website:

Meringue is a delay effect. Unlike most delays, the delay runs alternately forwards and backwards, rather than continually forwards. This simple difference produces some interesting and unusual effects, e.g.

• Delay echoes play alternately forwards and backwards.

That sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how useful that would be as a bread and butter delay effect.... :idk: Can you tell us more about what you like about it, and how you're using it?

Valhalla just released a new delay called Valhalla Delay that I've demoed and like a lot, might buy that for a very reasonable $50.

I hadn't heard about that yet... thanks for the tip - I'll have to check it out. IMO they make good plugins!

For delays, I like anything that has a maximum delay time of at least 10 seconds and has regeneration, since I'm interested in experimental music, and not mainstream. Augustus Loop has a maximum delay time of one hour!

I certainly want a regeneration control of some sort on a delay plugin. Ten seconds is more than I typically want or need for delay time though... but at least ~2-3 seconds is what I'd consider to be the bare minimum a good delay plugin should have. YMMV.

• Members

From their website:

Meringue is a delay effect. Unlike most delays, the delay runs alternately forwards and backwards, rather than continually forwards. This simple difference produces some interesting and unusual effects, e.g.

• Delay echoes play alternately forwards and backwards.

That sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how useful that would be as a bread and butter delay effect.... :idk: Can you tell us more about what you like about it, and how you're using it?

The other more interesting statement on their website is:

• The time between a note and its echo varies, depending on the location of the note in the delay buffer (unlike a normal delay, where the time between a note and its echo is constant).

Looking at its GUI, it's like a timeline (buffer) starting with zero and ending with the maximum delay time you have set.

Say you set a maximum delay time of 30 seconds, and increase the feedback so the 30 second loop gradually fades out.

If you play something at 0 seconds, then 15 seconds, then at 30 seconds, when the maximum delay time (in this case, 30 seconds) is reached, playback reverses at the 30 second point, so what you originally played in last is now played first (but reversed). Then 15 seconds later, what you originally played at 15 seconds is played back (but reversed). Then what you originally played at the beginning is played back 30 seconds later (reversed). The buffer hits the beginning point, and starts playing forward again, etc. etc. etc., until it all completely fades away.

This is great for improvising with ambient synth sounds at different points in the buffer, changing synth sounds at different buffer times as you're playing. It's almost like an accompaniment providing new textures by the varying delay times going forward and reverse, instead of just a single, static delay time.

• Members

For reverb, it’s either the IK Multimedia classic plate (absolutely amazing… still), or convolution – I have tons of convolution files. I’m hard pressed to think of a time I’ve used something else. It happens, but it’s rare.

For delay, I use the stock delay, Variety of Sound Nasty DLA (v2 or 3 or whatever version was the last), and occasionally a very old one called Blue Delay because it has a very speedy interface for some classic delay methods that I can’t do as quickly on anything else. Any other delay is pretty rare. I tend to process delay returns rather than resort to specialty delay plugins.

Archived