Police photos of the Paisley Park studios, tape vault, and more

Here's a link to an article with multiple photo galleries from Prince's Paisley Park facility. I found the photos to be insightful, awe-inspiring (the amount of tapes and the songs represented is simply staggering...) and incredibly sad, but definitely worth a look...

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/recording/police-evidence-reveals-first-look-inside-princes-legendary-tape-vault-more

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Once the lawyers get ahold of this' date=' it will probably be our great-great-great-great grandchildren who get to the hear the tapes...assuming anything exists to play them back. :)[/quote']

Yeah, unfortunately you're probably right about that Craig. Lawyers make everything take way more time and definitely make it more expensive... and who knows if there will be any working 2" machines and parts to service them left by then?

• Members

I still think it totally sucks that he is gone.

I suppose it's been thoroughly discussed..this is my first foray into the matter. My gut says it all dies with him as far as unreleased music goes. The only person that has any say so IMO isn't here. While he was quite generous..to the point of giving songs away, that was all up to him. He had the rest locked up in a vault. And I think it's pretty obvious the degree to which he valued his privacy. The court may decide that some relative, tone deaf though they may be, has some rights. But if anybody is going to be deciding what we get to hear, I'd prefer it was Sheila E. or someone else close to him. No one should make a dime on it though.

I'm rather private about the whole thing myself. Nobody hears much until I am comfortable with them hearing it as far as songs go. I very much prefer to work in private as well. That probably lines me up a certain way. The court will go one way or another based on some law or precedent, but, releasing music he had locked up rates as an invasion of privacy for me. And that way overrules whatever curiosity I might have as a fan and a musician. It's a feeling that is far more powerful than any rationale I can come up with for the releasing of locked up music by people who likely have absolutely no idea what there is of it that Prince would have been cool with the world hearing. It just feels wrong. Big time.

I suppose it's been thoroughly discussed..this is my first foray into the matter. My gut says it all dies with him as far as unreleased music goes.

I can certainly appreciate (and to a large degree empathize with) your POV, but from a legal perspective, those are all assets that can be passed down to his heirs - and most likely will be. If there's money to be made, you can be certain that at least some of that unreleased material will eventually see the light of day. Whether it is released in a form anywhere near what The Artist himself would have wanted is of course another matter all together.

• Members

I can certainly appreciate (and to a large degree empathize with) your POV, but from a legal perspective, those are all assets that can be passed down to his heirs - and most likely will be. If there's money to be made, you can be certain that at least some of that unreleased material will eventually see the light of day. Whether it is released in a form anywhere near what The Artist himself would have wanted is of course another matter all together.

Yes, legality and what's right and proper don't always intersect. Well, I shall hope for some uncommon restraint, and lacking that...some serious parts failure and shortages, with all due respect. :)

Otherwise it is indeed likely that Prince will be showing Beethoven some new ways to roll over at some point.

BTW, as someone who once drove around for half the ding dong day looking for Paisley Park I felt somewhat warranted in sneaking a little peak above.

Yup, I was just gonna roll right on up and knock on the door. :lol::facepalm:

• Members

Remember how many "Jimi Hendrix" albums were released in the decade after his death? How many of those titles do you remember as well as you remember "Experience", Axis", "Ladyland", "Rainbow Bridge"? Even "Smash Hits"?

The same thing is most likely to happen with Prince's unreleased work. It's a greedy world out there....

• Members
Remember how many "Jimi Hendrix" albums were released in the decade after his death? How many of those titles do you remember as well as you remember "Experience", Axis", "Ladyland", "Rainbow Bridge"? Even "Smash Hits"?

The same thing is most likely to happen with Prince's unreleased work. It's a greedy world out there....

Strange as it may seem...Hendrix didn't appear on my radar until I was a long ways down the road. He was gone by the time I was starting to explore forms of music other than 'classical'. I was way more familiar with dozens of other rock guitarists before I heard much Hendrix other than the occasional radio play of the usuals. If I've been influenced by him it's mostly through his influence on Prince, Tommy Bolin and others. I have 2 Hendrix albums, Smash Hits and Live at Winterland. Both were purchased in the late 90's. They were my first Hendrix albums.

I don't know the particulars, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were rights to unreleased recordings in the hands of others before Jimi died. At any rate, unreleased material probably wasn't locked up in a freakin vault in Jimi's very own studio. Prince had plenty of opportunity to release back catalog, but other than The Black Album, it doesn't appear that happened often and the overall tendency over the years has been to be very protective.

Maybe Brahms had the right idea. That which doesn't rate being run up the flag pole goes into the fire.

Well, perhaps they'll be great releases..I'd never know they weren't Prince approved and they'll donate all the profits to charity, or inner city arts schools. And even if they do I'll still feel like it's wrong and it won't stop me pretending it's my first rodeo and decrying the travesty.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Well, the first “vault” release — “Piano and a Microphone 1983” I thought was pretty fabulous! I hope they keep coming!

Obviously there’s not going to be some sort of “Purple Rain II” lying around in the vaults. Like with Hendrix and everyone else, he released all the stuff he thought was the best and the rest are leftovers.

But I still want it anyway!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I suppose it's been thoroughly discussed..this is my first foray into the matter. My gut says it all dies with him as far as unreleased music goes. The only person that has any say so IMO isn't here. While he was quite generous..to the point of giving songs away, that was all up to him. He had the rest locked up in a vault. And I think it's pretty obvious the degree to which he valued his privacy. The court may decide that some relative, tone deaf though they may be, has some rights. But if anybody is going to be deciding what we get to hear, I'd prefer it was Sheila E. or someone else close to him. No one should make a dime on it though.

I'm rather private about the whole thing myself. Nobody hears much until I am comfortable with them hearing it as far as songs go. I very much prefer to work in private as well. That probably lines me up a certain way. The court will go one way or another based on some law or precedent, but, releasing music he had locked up rates as an invasion of privacy for me. And that way overrules whatever curiosity I might have as a fan and a musician. It's a feeling that is far more powerful than any rationale I can come up with for the releasing of locked up music by people who likely have absolutely no idea what there is of it that Prince would have been cool with the world hearing. It just feels wrong. Big time.

Man oh man, that was rough. As much as I loved the photos because I'm a gearhead, my heart hurts knowing how much work went into what Prince did. It hurts to know that he left us too early and had so much music inside of him. As I was scrolling through the photos, I was thinking the same way as you RockViolin... there is so much music lying there but he clearly did not want it heard.

In the end, I think its best that it go unheard or that some of his most trusted music personal go through it and decide but even that... I'm still a bit hesitant. I think if he really wanted that music heard, he would have made it happen.

RIP Prince

• Members

Man oh man, that was rough. As much as I loved the photos because I'm a gearhead, my heart hurts knowing how much work went into what Prince did. It hurts to know that he left us too early and had so much music inside of him. As I was scrolling through the photos, I was thinking the same way as you RockViolin... there is so much music lying there but he clearly did not want it heard.

In the end, I think its best that it go unheard or that some of his most trusted music personal go through it and decide but even that... I'm still a bit hesitant. I think if he really wanted that music heard, he would have made it happen.

RIP Prince

Hi EB. I appreciate your thoughts.

I always thought that as I get farther and farther from the stage he'd still be on it. In that respect he was my champion.

It all hurt. That even includes words from those, some from around these parts, that couldn't wait to tag him as a druggie that had somehow gotten his just desserts. He was simply trying to medicate some pain so that he could keep going. The percodan he was prescribed was laced with fentanyl. What he got was nothing he had coming to him.

It's bad enough hearing "Let's Go Crazy" stuck to some credit card commercial. Not only is it disrespectful to his memory, I don't even think it works very well for that. The root of all evil doin it's thang...and somebody is living the high life now as they dance on his grave.

And it's one thing for a Bach manuscript to be unearthed and quite another for music that was locked up by the artist to be released and profited from, it seems to me. There's enough to go on as far as what Prince would likely have preferred that it should be an easy call as to how to proceed, whether there's any likelihood of another "Red Corvette" rolling around in there or not.

It all hurt. That even includes words from those, some from around these parts, that couldn't wait to tag him as a druggie that had somehow gotten his just desserts. He was simply trying to medicate some pain so that he could keep going. The percodan he was prescribed was laced with fentanyl. What he got was nothing he had coming to him.

I agree - he certainly didn't deserve to die, nor do I think of him as some "druggie." Opioid addiction is a really serious issue in the USA today, and his death brings that fact even further to the public's attention because of his fame... but it's affecting millions of people and families; none of them deserve to die either. Hopefully his death has convinced some of them to seek treatment... if it does, saving those lives will be another aspect of his legacy.

• Members

I agree - he certainly didn't deserve to die, nor do I think of him as some "druggie." Opioid addiction is a really serious issue in the USA today, and his death brings that fact even further to the public's attention because of his fame... but it's affecting millions of people and families; none of them deserve to die either. Hopefully his death has convinced some of them to seek treatment... if it does, saving those lives will be another aspect of his legacy.

I just saw something on the news last night about a pharmaceutical company being held to account (guilty) for providing kickbacks to docs that prescribed their opioids. I think that it needs to start there. There are a lot of people, Prince for one, who would probably not wind up so deeply in the clutches and who normally are not predisposed to take drugs at all that get waylaid by the ease of obtainment and the common perception that a script from a doctor makes it cool, or safe.

( I had my share early on in the neck treatment process. 2002-04. I shook loose. An addiction resistant gene maybe, I've always been able to get off the hook. I quit smoking cigarettes 30 years ago. Quit drinking the hard stuff about then too, and became a vegetarian. Gave up beer last summer because the asthma was bad and it's supposedly a trigger. It wasn't difficult, and all I miss is the flavor, some of them are so delicious now. )

Well anyway, I'm not up to speed on how much of an addict he was. I certainly noticed that some of his later shows, which I was able to see some of on YT, were really down tempo. "Let's Go Crazy" at 1/3 speed. :lol: It still rocked.

I think that if what he was taking hadn't been laced with opioids 'on steroids' he'd probably still be with us.

BTW. The disparaging words I referred to came from someone at the forum on the bottom, I don't recall who, at all. smiley-wink

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just saw something on the news last night about a pharmaceutical company being held to account (guilty) for providing kickbacks to docs that prescribed their opioids. I think that it needs to start there.

I think it actually starts with Doctors. My son had his wisdom teeth pulled recently and the Doctor was very quick to write out a prescription for him that had some opiod in it. My wife freaked out and refused to take the prescription. The Doctor said it was the weekend and he would not be in so "just in case". I guess I can understand that reasoning but I think we as a society are better off taking some Advil before we start to prescribe opioids immediately.

And obviously, there are plenty of stories where Doctors are getting some kickback from pharmaceuticals. Those companies and doctors need to be shown the door ASAP... I'm talking about shutting them down for good and imprisonment.

Hopefully Prince`s death will continue to raise awareness but I'm a bit jaded at this point and it feels like big money wins at the end of the day.

• Members

I think it actually starts with Doctors. My son had his wisdom teeth pulled recently and the Doctor was very quick to write out a prescription for him that had some opiod in it. My wife freaked out and refused to take the prescription. The Doctor said it was the weekend and he would not be in so "just in case". I guess I can understand that reasoning but I think we as a society are better off taking some Advil before we start to prescribe opioids immediately.

And obviously, there are plenty of stories where Doctors are getting some kickback from pharmaceuticals. Those companies and doctors need to be shown the door ASAP... I'm talking about shutting them down for good and imprisonment.

Hopefully Prince`s death will continue to raise awareness but I'm a bit jaded at this point and it feels like big money wins at the end of the day.

I do too. My comment perhaps did not get the tail onto the donkey. I guess, having been through it, I find the entire system suspect.

And I have less faith than you about some additional awareness from Prince's death making any difference. The awareness was/is there. It says watch out for the counterfeit stuff as much as anything else. And I can't imagine there are many that don't know by now that opiates are addictive.

I saw some news program, it might have been 20/20. The first half was about what happened to Prince, and the second half was about some guy who had some kind of pill press and was making pills of all kinds out of his garage, including opioid pills laced with fentanyl.

The situation may improve. I hope it does. And it certainly would be desirable for Prince's untimely death to count for something more than a windfall for somebody.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I wish someone would lock me in there for a year so I could poke around, try things out, listen and learn.

And if I could be any musician who better than Prince? IMO, there is no greater time than when new stuff spews out of the brain - the creative process.

Prince was like the Niagara of Minnesota - a constant flow of juice (no, not that kind:facepalm:).

Saw him once, fortunately.

• Members

I do too. My comment perhaps did not get the tail onto the donkey. I guess, having been through it, I find the entire system suspect.

And I have less faith than you about some additional awareness from Prince's death making any difference. The awareness was/is there. It says watch out for the counterfeit stuff as much as anything else. And I can't imagine there are many that don't know by now that opiates are addictive.

I saw some news program, it might have been 20/20. The first half was about what happened to Prince, and the second half was about some guy who had some kind of pill press and was making pills of all kinds out of his garage, including opioid pills laced with fentanyl.

The situation may improve. I hope it does. And it certainly would be desirable for Prince's untimely death to count for something more than a windfall for somebody.

It says something about people's pain when they will use something like fentanyl.

It seems a lot of addictions started with an injury - prescribed medication. They move to street drugs when the doctor cuts them off. It's crazy.

• Members

I've taken opiods for short-term pain. I didn't think about it at the time. This was before the current crisis.

Opiods have an important place in medicine. It's the way they are over-prescribed that is the problem. The doctors are the problem. And the pharmaceuticals who continue to supply outrageous amounts of them to the same doctors over and over. It was/is like a conspiracy to get people hooked.

Archived