Ok Phil What About This Mic

• Members

This actually looks like an old ham radio/CB radio microphone. I remember these as a kid growing up in the 70s. The closest I could find was the AstAtic D-104 Microphone (http://www.prc68.com/I/D104.html). The picture looks like the back of this microphone. They originally had a round 3-prong connector. If you do a google image search for "amateur radio mics" you should find a bunch of similar styles (mostly on pintrest pages)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tD104-01s.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t32.1 KB ID:\t32134763","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32134763","data-size":"full","title":"D104-01s.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

• Members
This actually looks like an old ham radio/CB radio microphone. I remember these as a kid growing up in the 70s. The closest I could find was the AstAtic D-104 Microphone (http://www.prc68.com/I/D104.html). The picture looks like the back of this microphone. They originally had a round 3-prong connector. If you do a google image search for "amateur radio mics" you should find a bunch of similar styles (mostly on pintrest pages)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tD104-01s.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t32.1 KB ID:\t32134763","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32134763","data-size":"full","title":"D104-01s.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

I'm pretty sure that's it.

So basically I was right they were nothing more than a prop.

Really not a mic for vocal "sound reinforcement".

It does indeed look like an Astatic D-104, which is an old crystal Ham radio mic. Well done Mandolin Picker! :philthumb:

FWIW, Astatic is now CAD (Conneaut Audio Devices) Audio.

Is it a prop?

Most likely, unless they're going for a lo-fi Ham radio type sound. Crystal mics are one step up from carbon mics on the general fidelity scale, and not something you see used very often in modern recording studios, outside of the use of crystals in piezoelectric guitar pickups and contact mics / triggers.

Like the piezo crystals used in acoustic guitar pickups they have very high output impedance, and they are prone to handling noise too.

• Members
It does indeed look like an Astatic D-104, which is an old crystal Ham radio mic. Well done Mandolin Picker! :philthumb:

FWIW, Astatic is now CAD (Conneaut Audio Devices) Audio.

Is it a prop?

Most likely, unless they're going for a lo-fi Ham radio type sound. Crystal mics are one step up from carbon mics on the general fidelity scale, and not something you see used very often in modern recording studios, outside of the use of crystals in piezoelectric guitar pickups and contact mics / triggers.

Like the piezo crystals used in acoustic guitar pickups they have very high output impedance, and they are prone to handling noise too.

Good to know. I have had one of these in my mic locker for 30 plus years. Mine is in great shape too. Changed out the original 2 conductor cable to and XLR cable years ago.

Not a very hot mic, but I wouldn't expect a ribbon mic like that to be hot.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"image005_429dcb4b-abfb-4348-a480-c33950b76fc4.jpg?419891495170597856.jpg","data-attachmentid":32136682}[/ATTACH]

Archived