Drum Bus Plugin

• Members

Hey Guys,

Do you have a any favorite plugins to make a live drum track pop?

This is after all of the individual tracks are eq'd, etc.

I've been getting better at tracking and mixing live drums but have to admit, it is a bitch.

• Members

Hey Phil,

I was basically thinking compression options as a first thought.

Well, when the tracks are soloed, I like what I hear. They are eq'd correctly and sound pretty good for close miking in a not so great room.

The biggest problem is not having the kit cut through the mix or having the "Power" to drive the track. It's not the take. I have been a session drummer for over 30 years. I am just not a great drum mixer.

I have been watching the Slate trigger replacement videos. It's not something that I would want to do but my drum mix sounds like the mix before they add the samples.

• Members

for me, parallel compression is where it's at for drums.... i'm currently using hardware, but have had good results with 1176 plugins.. i use the ik multimedia black76.... you have such a range of options with parallel compression... even using 'all buttons in' mode on an 1176 and adding just a bit can thicken the drums up nicely

• Members

This leads to a second question. Why would an industry pro such as CLA use trigger samples on a drum track that was recorded in his own studio?

I have been watching some drum mixdown videos where pros are using samples blended with, or replacing the original drum sounds. If these guys are the pros, why aren't their drum sounds asskicking from the start?

This leads to a second question. Why would an industry pro such as CLA use trigger samples on a drum track that was recorded in his own studio?

Sonic variety. Replacement and layering is the path to different drum sounds beyond what you captured with just the kit and room microphones.

I have been watching some drum mixdown videos where pros are using samples blended with, or replacing the original drum sounds. If these guys are the pros, why aren't their drum sounds asskicking from the start?

Their basic recordings should be good... but you don't always have the time or budget to bring Ross Garfield in to provide tons of different kits and snares, tune them for each individual track, etc. etc. Sometimes doing it in post is faster and more cost-effective, or the only option available to you. And besides, layering sounds as you're recording is pretty hard to do... and layering can provide sounds that you can't really get any other way.

Having said that, I don't think it's necessary to layer or replace your drums all the time... but if you're going for a more contemporary sound, you might want to consider it.

• Members

Well thanks Phil,

Being a "Purist" all of these years, I will not feel guilty about trying the Slate 2 trigger replacement plugin. Hek, if all the master mixers are doing it, I'm in! After all, it's still my playing, my feel, and my dynamics.

Well thanks Phil,

Being a "Purist" all of these years, I will not feel guilty about trying the Slate 2 trigger replacement plugin. Hek, if all the master mixers are doing it, I'm in! After all, it's still my playing, my feel, and my dynamics.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts after you experiment with it. :wave:

• Members

Do you mean EQ? I can't find a "1973 compressor" on the Stillwell site, but they do have a 1073-based EQ there.

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugins/1973-2/

Yep, that's the one. Funny, I've been using it for a while now and didn't realize it was based on the 1073 EQ.

Give it a try when you get some time Phil; it has some nice, tweak-able presets.

Archived