Fortunately some of the historic studios are still standing

I'm sentimental about old, classic recording studios - I hate to hear about one getting shut down, torn down and replaced with condos or a strip mall.

Fortunately some of these classic rooms are being preserved. Abbey Road being just one example of a studio that escaped such a fate.

Here's an article about a trio of legendary American studios that have been preserved and / or restored that I think some of you might enjoy reading.

Unfortunately none of them are LA or NYC studios... that's probably due to the insane and ever-increasing real estate values in the big cities. It's still sad though.

• Members

If "natural ambiance recording" ever makes a comeback I'm sure those rooms could be duplicated. In the meantime close miking (or virtual instruments), instrument at a time, and post processing the carp out of everything will continue to be the norm for the Spotify generation.

• Members

There is so much to be said for the magic of specific studios and rooms. Vibe, history, gear combos that produce(d) a certain sound ... it honestly makes me sad as hell to see it all go away.

On the other hand, New Mexico has some terribly inexpensive real estate and is a good environment for creative types. Keep hoping that someone will open something here ...

There is so much to be said for the magic of specific studios and rooms. Vibe, history, gear combos that produce(d) a certain sound ... it honestly makes me sad as hell to see it all go away.

On the other hand, New Mexico has some terribly inexpensive real estate and is a good environment for creative types. Keep hoping that someone will open something here ...

That would be nice. :)

Of course you can always take a different approach... if you can't fight 'em, why not join 'em? By that I mean instead of lamenting the passing of so many classic rooms with great sounding and unique acoustics, try using modern technology to help you get something similar, and even more unique.

How?

Mobile recording. Mobile rigs today are more powerful than ever, and if you can go mobile, the world's your studio - even rooms and locations that were never intended to be used as such. Now you just need to find those cool recording locations. Where to start? Around your own home is a good place. Get out of that "dedicated" music / recording room and experiment with other locations around the house. Hallways, large rooms like kitchens and living rooms with other adjoining rooms, bathrooms, walk-in closets, the garage - the typical house has a variety of different environments to explore. Moving beyond home base, there's local churches that are often empty during the week, warehouses, community centers - look around and ask around. You might be surprised by some of the cool spots you might be able to find to record with a little ingenuity. :)

• Members

So, I honestly have NOT thought this through, but the other day I recommitted to working with music. I do know that my record label will resume 'activities,' but goodness knows what those will be.

My perception is that there is zero money in small-scale recordings, so I may as well become a 'demo producer,' and try to encourage artists, perhaps splitting costs with them as they attempt gig-friendly indie releases.

Or not, who the hell knows?

It is most important to do things, and see where the results fall. I'm old enough now to help others make music for the simple joy of doing so, and if more than that happens, great.

• Members

I got family in Taos and Santa Fe N.M., since the late 1970's, many people from NYC / upstate N.Y., then Californians in the 1980's have inflated home prices in the Santa Fe area. Many of the Natives, Mexican-Americans ( there since the 1580's) and Euro-Americans ( there since the late 1700's) have gotten alienated by the newcomer's money and ideals. I guess , there's plusses and minuses in change

• Members

No matter what, those studios where historical recordings were done, are Sacred to our culture .... Since music and art are the what is the REAL SOUL OF AMERICA . Those two elements truly represent who , we Americans, truly are.

Our music has done more positive in this World, than any military action or any politicians that we put into the World Arena.

We better preserve these studios, it's part of our heritage as an Artistic People.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The one story I always love is Led Zeppelin recording "When the Levee Breaks" in the stairwell of Headley Grange. The drums were just so friggin powerful and emotional. You are right Phil, recordings can be made anywhere and the portability of equipment these days make for more interesting and wider range of recording. Something about being in a room with a bunch of creative people makes for an incredible experience. Sometimes a once in a life time experience.

Something about being in a room with a bunch of creative people makes for an incredible experience. Sometimes a once in a life time experience.

Rooms are nice, and IMHO very important, but you just hit upon THE most important element IMO. :) Without creative people there can be no great song, no great performances, no well-crafted recording, no innovative sonic manipulation, no great arrangement or mix...

• Members
No matter what, those studios where historical recordings were done, are Sacred to our culture .... Since music and art are the what is the REAL SOUL OF AMERICA . Those two elements truly represent who , we Americans, truly are.

Our music has done more positive in this World, than any military action or any politicians that we put into the World Arena.

We better preserve these studios, it's part of our heritage as an Artistic People.

That is a clear view of history.

The arts are one of the main things that cultures are remembered for, perhaps the most lasting legacy.

• Members

@AJ

That happens all over. It just crossed my mind; local government could maybe pass a special move-in tax on out of stater's; using the funds to improve the lives of the locals. Rich folk moving in perhaps should have to bring others up toward their standard a little, rather than drive them out. Not sure about the legality of that though. Just a thought.

Archived