Ever wondered what it was like to record all-analog?

• Members

I've done both but only got as far as 1/2" 8 track as an engineer and 1/2" 16 track as a performer. In both situations mix down was to 1/4" 2 track.

Later this week I'm starting a new job in a studio that still has 2" tape but the primary setup is RADAR which I have no experience with. I'm curious about the tape machine but don't expect to be using it - at least not right away.

From what I remember of the studio - I haven't been in it for over twenty years - it has a very nice room.

The first digital project I did involved a ProTools 3 TDM setup. I had originally recorded on analog 8 track, where I had difficulty editing, then copied the multi-tracks to Pro Tools. After a few successful cleanup edits I was heard to exclaim "I'm never going to use tape again".

i'm such a child... this thread title when read on the forum list page lol

Let me guess.. the last two letters of the last word in the thread title weren't visible on the preview, right? :lol:

I'm pretty detail-oriented in the studio, but I'm not sure I'd claim to be anal about it. ;)

i've recorded a lot on old tascam 4 tracks

I never owned a Tascam 4 track reel to reel, although I did have a couple of their Portastudios, as well as a couple of 80-8 1/2" eight tracks at various points. Good times and fond memories - except of the dbx NR, which was always kind of finicky.

• Members
I never owned a Tascam 4 track reel to reel' date=' although I did have a couple of their Portastudios, as well as a couple of [b']80-8 1/2" eight tracks[/b] at various points. Good times and fond memories - except of the dbx NR, which was always kind of finicky.

Yeah, but it was a multi-track and we could overdub without the need to bounce tracks.

I still have a tape but nothing to play it on (which might be a good thing because it could possibly trigger some flashbacks)

• Members

I've been saying this since I first started recording digital, mainly because I've carried over the habits of recording analog for 30 years.

The limited number of tracks available once demanded that artists and producers make critical artistic choices as they moved forward. So the ultimate irony of analog may be that, for all its complexity, it’s also the road to simplicity. “If you can’t get a song down in 24 tracks,” says Larry Crane, “maybe it wasn’t a very good song in the first place.”

I still have my 2 and 4 track Teac and 8 track Tascam's in my storage room. They are all fully functional but I haven't let nostalgia motivate me to cranking them up. It would take require monetary motivation to get me to get enthused.

I am tempted to borrow a preamp out of the 2 track. Teac has modular components and you're able to remove the preamp from the unit and use it solo. They do produce a wonderful sound and I'm thinking about trying it with my ribbon mics just to see how well it enhances them. Only issue is they have unbalanced mic preamps so I'd have to add an additional low to high impedance transformer or active solution which could color the sound.

• Members

I performed on an all-analog recording two weekends ago. (Saturday, March 18th). I've been meaning to write a "rant" post about it because 1) we paid for the session and 2) I did not agree with the decisions of the recording engineer, but kept my concerns to myself, because I'm not the bandleader and don't really care. We were recorded on to a 1/2" Tascam 16-track. NO processing of signals either before or after tracking, not even a limiter on the vocal mic. Signal levels were intentionally recorded hot so the tape saturation would act as "compression". Bandmates didn't want to track with headphones...and so on.

Archived