A great monitor purchase

• Members

Just looking at the specs on those. 280 watts. They must have some kick, for their size. Of course Hi Fi/monitor speakers have a lower SPL in most cases, but that's still allot of power even if its being eaten up by the crossover and voice coils.

I have a set of M-Audio BX5 I been using allot. They are 70w biamped speakers and the most I need to turn them up is 1/2 way sitting in front of the computer with each at arms length.

When I want to hear the music loud I kick on up to 4 other sets of various monitor types, passive and active so it not only gets louder but sounds bigger. This way I'm not jacking with the levels of the main monitors and can judge the loudness based on what I'm hearing. I used a DB meter to ball park a normal mix from where I sit so its a tad louder then 85db on a rock mix and a little lower on softer stuff.

The benefit of having multiple sets is, I'm able to hear unusual bumps in frequencies form the different sets if something's off. I can then do some minor tweaks to make them all sound flat and when they all sound like a single monitor vs separate speakers, I know I have a good mix.

The latest set I added were a set of these vintage Dynaco Speakers. I put them on the top shelf in the studio which is about 2' above ear level. These are Hi Fi speakers of course but they do have nice highs and mids. I kick them on when testing my final mixes and I know when I hear the drum cymbals coming through above my head I know the mix has the air it needs.

a7e22c54ce8063e755b2afd17a45806d.jpg

I kind of do the same thing with the lows too. I have three subs under the mixing console. One is a mono speaker with a combined stereo input. The others are a pair of full ranged 8's I put in a pair of cabs. since they're below the console they aren't in my direct line of hearing and I have the levels set so when I feel the bass below the waist I know I have the low frequency levels balanced.

When I kick both the Dynaco and subs I can then tweak the highs and lows of the mix. If the entire wall sounds balanced from top to bottom in frequency response I know I can stop tweaking mix down, but the Near fields dominate at ear level.

I can get close when using only the Near Field Studio monitors but I'm more likely to missing something on the top or bottom ends. My studio has practically no reflection because of its sound proofing so I developed this technique over a good 15 years to the point where I rarely have to go back and re-tweak things. I did allot of this by testing up close and at a distance up to 25'. I like knowing my mixes can sound in tight quarters like in an automobile and at longer distances so the Hi Fi speakers come in handy for testing a long sound projection.

I can say I'm able to get some really nice deep bass tones now without robbing all the woofer power and making the other parts sound small. Bass frequencies are the toughest to get right in a mix because the ears don't hear them very well. They hear them when they aren't right and they notice when there isn't enough, but getting a smooth range without lopping off all the sub lows is really tough. Too much the rest of the mix is masked by the boom. Too little and the mix is neutered from the waist down. When its just right it sounds super plush.

I Track my bass through these monitors too so I'm able to dial up the exact tones needed when recording too so I suppose that helps allot when it comes to mixing. Other then using a preamp plugin to give the bass a little more punch, I no longer use any EQ on the bass parts and they come through exactly the way I tracked them.

Having louder monitors like Bob F mentions would surely help tracking instruments direct. I hate using headphones and having that extra juice, especially for tracking bass can really make the difference.

• Members

I feel pure love like that for my longest running and favorite nearfields ever... Yorkville YSMi passives. I also have a pair of ART SLM-1, which are identical monitors... made in the same factory in Canada after Yorkville acquired ART (Applied Research & Technology). I bought the ART labeled first about 2002 I think, and the Yorkvilles a couple years later.

They are now very hard to find... unfortunately no longer made and newer different model Yorkies are now made in China. Even with the two pair I have (Both purchased new by me) I still get tempted when I see them on the pre-owned market. It's taking all my willpower not to get a third pair from this eBay listing at that price. Like giving them away. Someone buy them and put me out of my misery! smile.png

Just looking at the specs on those. 280 watts. They must have some kick' date=' for their size. Of course Hi Fi/monitor speakers have a lower SPL in most cases, but that's still allot of power even if its being eaten up by the crossover and voice coils.[/quote']

Are you talking about the Event PS8's or the ADAM S3A's? I assume you mean the ADAMs since the Events don't have anywhere near that amount of power (IIRC). The S3A's actually have about 450W (RMS) per speaker, with three 150W RMS amps - one per driver. The crossover is at 1.8kHz. Above that is handled by the ART ribbon tweeter. There are two woofers, but they work a bit differently than normal. One handles everything from 1.8kHz down, and below 150Hz, the second woofer kicks in to provide extra support for the lowest octaves.

Yes, that's a lot of power, but the upside is that they handle transients with ease, with headroom to spare. :) While they're capable of hitting upwards of 115dB SPL, I don't run them that loud.

I also have a pair of the Gibson Les Paul 8 studio monitors here on loan ATM, and they have also been impressing me. I don't think I'm going to sell my ADAMs and replace them with the Les Pauls, but the more I use them, the more impressed I am - especially with their low end, which is solid and strong, but not the least bit muddy or flabby. I'm sure their beefy power amps (247 watts total) help them with that too.

I have a set of M-Audio BX5 I been using allot. They are 70w biamped speakers and the most I need to turn them up is 1/2 way sitting in front of the computer with each at arms length.

When I want to hear the music loud I kick on up to 4 other sets of various monitor types, passive and active so it not only gets louder but sounds bigger. This way I'm not jacking with the levels of the main monitors and can judge the loudness based on what I'm hearing. I used a DB meter to ball park a normal mix from where I sit so its a tad louder then 85db on a rock mix and a little lower on softer stuff.

The benefit of having multiple sets is, I'm able to hear unusual bumps in frequencies form the different sets if something's off. I can then do some minor tweaks to make them all sound flat and when they all sound like a single monitor vs separate speakers, I know I have a good mix.

The latest set I added were a set of these vintage Dynaco Speakers. I put them on the top shelf in the studio which is about 2' above ear level. These are Hi Fi speakers of course but they do have nice highs and mids. I kick them on when testing my final mixes and I know when I hear the drum cymbals coming through above my head I know the mix has the air it needs.

I actually own four sets of monitors - I also have a pair of JBL 4412's that I modified (different bass driver and crossover changes) and a pair of Avant Mixcubes that I use as a lo-fi reference... but while I have been known to run two sets at once from time to time, I normally don't run multiple sets simultaneously - there are definitely phase and other concerns that can be issues with that approach, but if it's working for you, that's all that matters. :)

• Members

I just googled what he posted and found it as a discontinued item on MF. Event Studio Precision 8 Powered Monitors.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/event-studio-precision-8-powered-monitors

FEATURES

LF driver: Magnetically shielded, 8" mineral-filled polypropylene cone with neodymium magnet, 1-1/2" diameter high-temperature voice coil, and damped rubber surround

HF driver: Magnetically shielded, one-inch diameter ferrofluid-cooled soft dome neodymium radiator

Frequency response: 35Hz-20kHz, ±3dB, ref. 500Hz

Amplifier power: Biamplified, 280W, (200W LF driver/80W HF driver) toroidal transformer

Crossover: 2.6kHz, active asymmetrical fourth-order

Controls: Continuously variable input sensitivity; continuously variable high-frequency trim; continuously variable low-frequency trim; switchable 80Hz second-order high-pass filter

Inputs: balanced XLR and 1/4"

Indicators: Power-on/Clip LED

Protection: RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn on/off transient, subsonic filter, internal fuse, and magnetic shielding

12-1/2"W x 16"H x 11-13/16"D

Maybe these are a different version?

• Members

My set of "real" monitors is a set of Event 20/20 BAS. Not sure if they were the first or second generation. Bought them at a clearance sale at Guitar Center many years ago. They've been usable, but always wanted something truer.

Anyway due to Life. I don't even have them set up anymore. They are at church for when I want a set of near fields to check with. For mixing these days I've gone "in-ear". Definitely has taken some getting used to. And am planning on setting up a room soon, so I can set up some proper monitoring again. But with enough A/B'ing, I've had some success.

I've been eyeing the Presonus Sceptres. I like the idea of a single point source. Not sure it makes that much difference, but in my head it makes sense. Plus reading up on Danley Sound Labs systems, has probably influenced that.

Anyway I just looked up Presonus' site. Anyone else see the new R-series or Ribbon monitors? Those could be really cool too.

My set of "real" monitors is a set of Event 20/20 BAS. Not sure if they were the first or second generation. Bought them at a clearance sale at Guitar Center many years ago. They've been usable' date=' but always wanted something truer.[/quote']

That was my feeling too - and I wound up moving to the ADAMs.

Anyway I just looked up Presonus' site. Anyone else see the new R-series or Ribbon monitors? Those could be really cool too.

I really do like ribbon tweeters, but I have not had the opportunity to really audition the Presonus monitors yet.

Archived