Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm updating my PC...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes what brands? SSD's seem to be the way to go with prices dropping. If SSD's are as robust as the SD cards I've had and used for a couple of years I'm going to upgrade my PC soon..I remember when a 600MB HD sold for $1995.00.

Comment

Nothing in particular. I've kept an eye on owc drives, but they tend to be a little more than comparable drives. As far as the 3 I have right now. One is the 160GB intel x-25m in my wife's laptop. I have a 64GB corsair force gt in my Mac Pro. And a 480GB ocz agility 3 in my MacBook Pro. All have worked flawlessly for me. And the intel is probably about 5 years old now and still going strong. I honestly tend to wait until I see one on a really good sale and buy it. I do read some reviews first, but they're all based on just a hand full of controllers and memory chip suppliers. So IMO as long as the firmware is comparable, the performance will be also. So might as well get the best deal.
      ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ Antelope Zen Tour, Dell Precision 7510 (w/i7-6920HQ, 16GB, 512GB NVMe SSD, 960GB SSD recording drive) Harrison Mixbus 3, StudioOne Pro, Pro Tools 12, and Reaper. Belmont Bigsby, Godin LGSP-90 (NAMM ed.), Godin LGX-SA into an 11 Rack controlled by a FCB1010 with an Eureka Prom. A bunch of other stuff lying around.

Did I mention that Harrison Mixbus 3 is out? If not check it out. It Is AWESOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
        I went with a i7 3770K (3.5 GHz quad core) with 16GB of Kingston Hyper-X RAM (the board will take up to 32GB, but RAM's a bit expensive right now), Jetway JNAF93-Q77 socket 1155 motherboard with four PCI slots, which I still need for my PTHD rig. It also has three PCI-e slots for the future. I figure this will do nicely for the transition period between HD and whatever's next - HDX or...? Anyway, it should be a lot faster than the Athlon X2 4200 / 4GB RAM / WIn XP setup that it's replacing. I'm using the Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case from that machine, along with the Corsair GS600 power supply. I went with Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) SP1 for the OS. I also got another 1TB SATA drive and a SATA DVD-RW to go into it. It's burning in now... then comes the "fun" part - loading all the software...

So... how often do you update your DAW computer hardware? It's been a while for me - the last build (the Athlon X2) was some time ago... 2006? Something like that. It's long overdue! I've purchased a couple of new Macs since then, but this is the first PC build I've done in several years.
        Thats should handle just about anything you toss at it as long as its not 40+ tracks of 96kHz 32Bit. (but then again......)
        Last edited by Zalvador Dalí; 05-05-2014, 02:43 PM.
        Artist Quality Synth Presets - VintageSynthPads.com

Comment

I still mainly stick to 44.1 / 24 bit. Track counts have not been a major issue for me for years. I am not as heavy with the track counts as a lot of people - I grew up using 16 and 24 track tape decks, and I still regularly use 48 tracks or less. Even my last PT PC could handle that with no problems.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
          - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
          - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
          - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I still mainly stick to 44.1 / 24 bit. Track counts have not been a major issue for me for years. I am not as heavy with the track counts as a lot of people - I grew up using 16 and 24 track tape decks, and I still regularly use 48 tracks or less. Even my last PT PC could handle that with no problems.
            Yea, audio recording is less PC demanding then video or 3D rendering.
            You can now record and mix a song on your cell phone if so inclined (but why the hell would you).

At 44.1 / 24 bit your new system wont break a sweat.

I also used analog tape for decades before going digital (wasn't that a strange change).
            Still waiting for a plugin that can accurately emulate analog tape compression (that was the best).

Some of the newer plugins are starting to get closer to tube compression and EQ but Im not ready to completely give up hardware pultecs and 175B's just yet.
            Artist Quality Synth Presets - VintageSynthPads.com

Comment

Just to update this... last weekend I maxed out the RAM capabilities of the motherboard by installing another 16GB (2 x 8GB sticks) of Kingston HyperX FURY 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 RAM, for a total of 32GB. I also added a 1TB Silicon Power 3D NAND A55 SATA III SSD drive and a Corsair dual SSD drive caddy that fits in a 3.5" drive bay.

I have one more SATA port open on the motherboard, and I'll probably add one more SATA SSD to the system eventually, and I might also upgrade from a 120GB MSATA C drive to a larger (500GB?) one in the not too distant future. I also have one more PCI-x slot left, so I could add another HD Accel card (making it a HD4 system), but even though used cards are dirt cheap now, I'm still up in the air on whether or not I'm going to do that. We'll see...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
              - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Computers are in a constant state of upgrade or replacement.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post
                Computers are in a constant state of upgrade or replacement.
                For the most part... at least every few years or so it seems like I’m either adding a bunch of stuff, updating various components, and / or building / totally rebuilding one.

- George Carlin

Comment

I'd highly recommend going for a bigger OS drive, 500 GB is good. The problem is that even though you can put sample libraries and such on other drives, some software stores presets and such in their program folder, and some programs don't like being installed on anything other than your C:drive. Then there's the "recycle" bin, downloads folder, and User files, which all live on the C: drive. Even with keeping as minimal a C: drive setup as possible, I still have to trim things periodically to free up 50 GB or so of space for future clutter.
                  The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post
                    I'd highly recommend going for a bigger OS drive, 500 GB is good. The problem is that even though you can put sample libraries and such on other drives, some software stores presets and such in their program folder, and some programs don't like being installed on anything other than your C:drive. Then there's the "recycle" bin, downloads folder, and User files, which all live on the C: drive. Even with keeping as minimal a C: drive setup as possible, I still have to trim things periodically to free up 50 GB or so of space for future clutter.
                    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm finding myself running into - I have plenty of space on other drives, but the programs and other things that have to go on the C drive are quickly filling up that original 120GB MSATA SSD; Even though I have my download, temp files and a few other system folders on a second drive, I'm down to only about a third of the C:\ drive's space remaining, which for me means it's time for a larger one.

I'm kind of dreading it, but it has to be done. Hopefully I can successfully do it with drive cloning software - I do NOT want to have to reinstall Windows and all of my programs all over again. It takes forever! I wish Windows 7 Professional had something as cool as Time Machine on the Mac as part of the OS.

My plan is to buy a new MSATA SSD and an external USB 3 MSATA case, clone the old one to the new drive, then shut down the computer and uninstall the old drive and put the new one in. That's a bit more work than it sounds like since the MSATA interface sits flat on the motherboard, directly under my Pro Tools HD cards, so I have to remove at least two of those in order to do the drive swap. Once the swap is done and I confirm that everything is working with the new C:\ drive, the old SSD is going into the external case so I can use it for file transfers from studio to studio (or computer to computer) and things of that nature.

I haven't decided what program to use yet to do the drive cloning - does anyone have any suggestions? This article suggests using a program called Macrium Reflect; there's apparently a free edition, which if it works, would be nice...

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post
                      The problem is that even though you can put sample libraries and such on other drives...
                      I have one HDD that's dedicated to nothing but sample libraries and virtual instrument stuff, plus the MSATA SSD C:\ drive and two dedicated audio drives - one SSD, one HDD. I also have a CD/DVD burner... I used to have two of them, but I use them so rarely anymore I'm wondering how much longer I'll need to keep even one of them in my DAW PC.

A while back I pulled the SuperDrive (CD/DVD burner) out of my MacBook Pro and put in a SSD, moved the HDD over to where the optical drive used to be, and installed the optical drive into an external USB case. Not having it in the machine hasn't been an issue - in fact, I haven't missed it at all. I've only used it once or twice since I pulled it out.

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Charliebrm
                        Just as an aside, the My Documents folders for users can be on other drives than C: and the system will point to that location. It's easy to find the instructions online; just a few mouse clicks. A lot of people treat that folder like the family garage anyway, full of old bicycles and the 200 lb. table saw you never use.
                        Yeah, I've got that folder on a different drive than my C:\ drive too.

I didn't realize SSD drive costs have nose dived so much until I searched that 1TB you mentioned Phil. Wow. Good times.
                        Yeah, they've really dropped in price quite a bit. I ordered a Dogfish 500GB MSATA tonight - it was all of $84... with the external case and tax, everything came to just under a hundred bucks. It should be here sometime Sunday. Amazon Prime rocks.

- George Carlin

Comment

I'll glom on. I resurrected a 9 year old "cheese grater" Mac Pro that I purchased new in 2009. A ton has been written about these machines in 2018. Mine was the bottom of the line single processor, so I removed the heat sink, cleaned up the thermal paste, and dropped in a faster Xeon processor with more cores. I also installed more RAM and updated the firmware (the firmware update is actually the first thing you have to do). I can now run PTHD 2018 on High Sierra and the native apps that I want to run including some VI's that I couldn't get a single instance of before the upgrade. Apparently I can update to Mojave if I want to, but I'll need to buy a different GPU. It's not a priority for me right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooey View Post
                            I'll glom on. I resurrected a 9 year old "cheese grater" Mac Pro that I purchased new in 2009. A ton has been written about these machines in 2018. Mine was the bottom of the line single processor, so I removed the heat sink, cleaned up the thermal paste, and dropped in a faster Xeon processor with more cores. I also installed more RAM and updated the firmware (the firmware update is actually the first thing you have to do). I can now run PTHD 2018 on High Sierra and the native apps that I want to run including some VI's that I couldn't get a single instance of before the upgrade. Apparently I can update to Mojave if I want to, but I'll need to buy a different GPU. It's not a priority for me right now.
                            Sounds nice. I wish Apple would make a new Mac Pro computer with the expandability that the old "cheese graters" had.

Did you update the graphics card too?

- George Carlin

Comment

Sounds nice. I wish Apple would make a new Mac Pro computer with the expandability that the old "cheese graters" had.

Did you update the graphics card too?
                              I didn't update it. Some people do and there are tons of guides on what works. I don't have intensive graphics needs and I have no desire to install Mojave, so it's optional for my purposes.

You can fit something like 6 hard drives in cheesegrater mac, which is pretty cool. There are thumbscrews that attach the drive to a sled, and it pops right in without using any tools. There are tons of sellers on eBay who upgrade the CPU and sell the complete processor tray for those who don't want to do it themselves. You can install that in a Mac Pro in about 30 seconds.

At that point in Apple's history, they wanted their professional products to be user repairable and expandable with ease. It's a complete 360 from their current design philosophy.

Comment

Working...
                              X