Somewhat OT: A Call To All XP Users

• Members

I'm a SONAR user too but the way I see it is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or is it If it ain't broke, keep on fixing it till it is broken?...Mike

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying". Red Green > the Red Green Show > 1997

Best, Paul

• Members

Vista works fine with SONAR and other audio apps.

Still, I signed
:thu:

Sonar works fine on XP, too. But how about my MOTU PCIe-424? My older versions of Kontakt 2, GuitarRig2, Battery2, etc? Reason 4? Some of my older plugs?

I'm not going to Vista at all. Period. I'm going to be buying a new personal/home use PC soon, and the first thing I'll do is strip the damn thing down to XP. I may buy Windows 7 when it actually comes out, but Vista is a huge step backwards, especially if it doesn't have the product and driver support that you require. I'll run my current set-up for as long as I can and I won't go Vista. Period. If I don't like Windows 7, to Apple I'll go and while I'll miss Sonar (who knows how long Bootcamp will last?) I'm more than willing to vote with my wallet.

Petition signed.

• Members

I'm not going to Vista at all. Period. I'm going to be buying a new personal/home use PC soon, and the first thing I'll do is strip the damn thing down to XP.

Microsoft still gets your money for Vista if it comes installed on the machine when you buy it, a success in their corporate eyes. A better option is to buy a computer that does not have Vista on it, this may mean going to mac.

• Members

Microsoft still gets your money for Vista if it comes installed on the machine when you buy it, a success in their corporate eyes. A better option is to buy a computer that does not have Vista on it, this may mean going to mac.

Yeah, plus I get a discount if I buy a mac... jsut not enough for what I'd prefer to spend. :o

• Members

What everyone considers to be "working fine" is considerably different. Any OS that needs 8 gigs to run efficiently (see tomshardware article), does not work fine in my opinion. I need ridiculous amounts of RAM for the sample libraries I use, so Vista simply is not an option.

But consider that XP (32bit ver) only allows a maximum of 4g memory total of which only 2g can be allocated to any single app and 600k is reserved for Windows why wouldn't you want to have an OS that can address 64g or more of memory (granted only a few server boards allow that much)? All of the Vista comps I have built run fine on 1g to 2g and the 8g quad extreme I built is an animal.

MS announced they are pulling XP in June so stock up, but remember when everyone moves on to 64 bit you're history.

• Members

Signed. I appreciate the ability to have such a killer studio using XP (esp. cf. with the old 4/8-track or ADAT/DA88 systems from bygone eras) but I'll tell you- if this forced Vista roundup keeps going like I think it is, then Apple's gonna get another customer.