Cassette to Digital Recorder.

• Members

I was asking earlier about the use of cassette recording as a tool in the studio, but I thought I'd post a similar but simplified question.

Simply... If I recorded something on a cassette recorder (fresh recording on a decent-quality recorder and good cassette) then transferred it into a track on the digital recorder, would the sound quality be good/bad/noticable?

What are the negatives here?

This is not "pro" use, but I want a decent product.

Thanks for any input. :)

• Members

We used 8 & 4 tracks for years. Just keep your recording levels good ( and noise free) on the cassette. Record without DOlby to the cassette --and if noticeable hiss is there when transferring ....turn on the Dolby and "make-up" the highs in the DAW

• Members

I do it all the time with reasonable results using a Sony TC D5M II to record my live gigs and then transferring to my computer.

The big thing, as mentioned, is levels.

The main drawback, IMO, is the time factor in the transfer.

Obviously the new quality digital recorders available are a better way to go, are easy to use and several have decent mics on board along with XLR and instrument inputs.

• Members

I can't tell ifyou already have a digital recorder or not, but based on your otherposts, most digital recorders should do what you want to do (loop a section and automatically punch in and out of that section) right out of the box without adding another cassette deck to your setup.

My old casette portastudio 424 MKII can do that.

I haven't played around with a whole lot of recorders, but almost all of them that have some way of setting a loop point have that feature precisely to be able to loop overdubs.

Archived