The Daily Studio Updates Thread

• Members

Thought this might be a tad interesting. Post what's going on in your studio today or lately.

Bought a mic stand with boom, finally. Now I can experiment with different positioning for acoustic recording that I couldn't before. I read somewhere ahead of the bridge and straight down the neck is a good way. Before I had the boom stand, just a regular stand - I recorded just around the soundhole and found the mids and highs a bit lacking. So, I'll have to experiment.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just finished giving large parts of my studio a makeover over the last month between touring with my band and a number of smaller recording-gigs. Worked on my own band's stuff as well. And I had some meetings to discuss a couple of projects for the new year. I've not slept much in a very long time (not a good idea) and it's starting to catch up with me.

But I'm leaving today! First I'm doing a short tour with my band untill just before Christmas and then I'm on holiday untill early-January. It's summer here in South Africa and I'm gonna be at the beach for a good long while.

• Members

^ Must be beautiful there in SA. Get some pics of the beach and the studio up! :phil:

Hi

Thats too funny. I am up here in Jasper National Park, Canada and between KV and myself, we couldn't be further apart geographically. Dropping down to -33 C by Sunday night and currently blowing snow with bone cutting wind chill. You and your beaches:). I'll take some pics of my studio along with snowdrifts.

On topic, tonite I finally sat down with my BR-600 and recorded drum and guitar tracks. I still don't know if I will have the time to integrate the BR-600 with my DAW w/Reaper and Propellerhead Reason and I barely have enough experience to record with Reaper. Haven't even touched Reason other than to install. Lots of learnin' and grinnin' ahead:D

Thanx,

Jim

• Members

Haha, I'll show you guys some pics when I come back in January. Yeah we have lovely beaches here. I love the whole ocean-thing (surfing, swimming, snorkling, etc.) and I can't wait. It's weird, but I'm sad to leave my studio. I just love it so much that I wish I could take it with me...

Where I live it gets really hot in summer (+/- 40 Celsius) and quite cold in the winter (around -5 Celsius), but it's obviously not as bad as where vmann is. I don't really like the cold much. Luckily it only lasts for like 2 months each year.

OK guys, I'm off. See you next year! HELL YEAH!!!!

• Members

I cleaned. Moved everything out, vacuumed, dusted, cleaned, and moved everything back in (this time putting things where they're actually supposed to go). MUCH easier to get around in now, with everything properly arranged, plus it's nice to be in a good clean room when I'm working. :)

• Members

I've been experimenting with hitting 5 Drop C power chords on my Strat, run it through Juicy 77 amp plugin, and sequencing them on a grid for a bit of an industrial flavor thing.

- http://www.jaderavendesign.com/m/guitar1.mp3

- http://www.jaderavendesign.com/m/guitar1b.mp3

Kinda cool but can of course get quite rigid. Reminds me of NIN's Downward Spiral, well that's what inspired the idea.

• Members

Great thread!

Just got a Mojave Ma-200, my first tube mic, sounds amazing!

I've been putting the finishing touches on a CD for a local rock band, 16 songs, unfortunately they rushed most of the recordings and the drummer triggered everything so I was up to my eyes in BFD for several months. They started tracking in March '08 so it's been a long haul.

Going to start tracking country band at the beginning of '09. This will be their 2nd full length recording with us. Good stuff, pedal steel and all!

Hopefully my band will be able to finish our CD by sometime in early '09.

My partner in crime just made a subkick, we have yet to try it.

• Members

I just did a total studio cleanout and rewire. Got rid of my old eight bus board and installed a digital mixer and finally decided to take out my old ADAT machines that have been in racks pretty much unused for a long time.

I think I pulled close to a mile of wires out and now have stacks of snakes, custom length cords, etc. in a pile in the middle of the room. Anyone need eight channel quarter inch to RCA 6 meter snakes?

Got rid of all my outboard stuff, RNC, reverbs, compressors, aural exicters, finally removed my old cassette deck..etc.

Retired from playing rock and roll two weeks ago and selling all that stuff too.. PA gear, my 1966 Selmer MK VI alto, mixers, power amps, graphic EQ's, keyboard modules, 1984 Rogers studio drum kit..etc. Craigslist is my friend.

It's a major upgrade and clearinghouse project for me. Ordered more bass traps and acoustic foam to improve my mixes and spending the money from selling old stuff on a couple new mics and building a room better suited to recording acoustic instruments and vocals, which is pretty much my client list these days.

AND finishing up a 15 song CD due for release in January.

Other than that.. it's been real quiet.

• Members

So last week I went into the music store to get my acoustic restrung, and this guy Walter had his restrung. We got to talking and he had a gig today, so I came down for the entire 3 hour set. We were talking as he set up, about what we've got going on. He knew I was into recording, and was wondering because he wants to record stuff. So he's interested in me recording/producing his work.

That's a first. But I told him, I'm not very experienced, however I'm totally interested, we could bounce things off eachother and it's a learning experience. It's odd cause he has a friend with a studio... I dunno. We'll see. Rather interesting!

- http://www.myspace.com/walterkukla

• Members

Recently won Mackie Onyx 1220 mixer on ebay.

Trying to prep all the gear I've bought over the past couple of years to finally set up my little ass-kickin' studio here at home...recently racked most of it, installed speakers on the wall for 3rd listening option through the stereo, built desktop center rack to hold mixer and power supply/switcher, reorganised storage area for mic collection, stomp boxes, etc.

And finally, trying to figure out how to hook up all this stuff, which will be the most brain-fryin' part of it all.

• Members

Well, my home-studio project is progressing quickly toward launch day. Yesterday I added an AKG C-414B-XLS and some cables. Later in the day I went into Montreal and picked up Logic Studio, a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 pro headphones, and a Zoom H-2 for portable/impromptu recordings. Today, my order is going in for 4 gigs of Kingston DDR2 800mhz dual-channel RAM for my new iMac, and I'm ordering an external hard-drive.

Two weeks ago, I picked up a set of Adam A-7 monitors, and yesterday, I took a long hard look at a pair of Klein & Hummel 0 300's,(very tempting), and some very nice mic-pres. For now, my Apogee Duet will be handling i/o. That unit may eventually be replaced by an Apogee Ensemble, or a Metric Halo unit.

Fortunately for me, I have two weeks holidays coming up (Christmas break), and it looks like I'll be spending most of that time reading manuals.

Edit; Oh yeah, I also picked-up a new acoustic/electric mandolin yesterday. A great little unit from Ovation. Looks like the Ovation "Legend" guitars, and has tremendous tone and projection. I was VERY surprised. It'll reside along-side my other guitars, basses (18 or so).

Bob

• Moderators

Great idea Phait!

Yesterday and today? Went Christmas shopping! But over the weekend I tracked the basics for an album by The Saltlickers. We tracked most of it with drums, guitar, and me on bass and running Pro Tools from a new Tranzport.

I've lost even more hair because of the ordeal but yep, it did work well. I played a Jazz Bass with flats DI'ed through a Radial into a Urei. Just the Massey plugin for compression post input. One track the guitarist played bass (sound like Keith on bass from Sticky Fingers). What a godsend to just track with out playing on one.

The guitar was a fabulously awesome Tele into a pedal board then SansAmp 1.0 rack then direct, just for guide purposes. I also took a Radial DI right off the guitar for ReAmping later though his old Gibson amp and my Blackheart.

Drums! Drums! Drums! I love tubs. See the 'RE20 on snare' thread. I did use 414s on the toms and that was great. Those into old Uries. API for K and S. RNP for OHs with some Octava 012s. A Blumlien pair of Fatheads into Ureis, 10 feet from the drums, 8 feet up, in an 18 foot tall room. An Sm52 on kick (nice mic). 57 under the snare...

We did do one track with vocals out in the room live with a 58. Sounded great. Raw... but great.

I'm happy. I'll comp over Christmas and we'll move on to lead guitar and harp...

• Members

It isn't a "right now" thing, but this weekend I'm building myself a "Mac," using a module that will let me (legally, according to their site) install OS-X on a PC I'm building. Worst-case scenario, it doesn't work or isn't stable enough for ProTools and I wipe the drive and install XP on a new screaming-fast machine. But the problem I've always had with Mac is the hardware cost and proprietary format - it can make it difficult to quickly fix the machine if I have problems, etc. This will fix those problems. :)

Archived