My Yamaha O2R has blank blue screen ?

• Members

This is my first post and I hope that i am posting this in the correct section :facepalm:

After months of building and wiring my studio it was finally time for the big switch on and to my horror after i switched on the O2r only a blank blue screen was staring at me....also all the green signal input leds were lit as well. Has anyone ever had this happen ? if so, can you please tell me how it can be rectified.

many thanks in advance

Chris

• Members

I work alot with equipment that has LCD screens like that.

I would first make sure there isnt a knob someplace that adjusts the screens intensity from full black to full light. (This kind of adjustment is common and allows for aging of the screen and different light enviornments). Check the manual and see if it has this option.

Next would be a loose ribbon cable inside the unit. Moving the unit around may have loosened something up going to the display. Open the unit at your own risk and check connectors.

Third would be to send it in for repair, maybe the display is damaged, they are easily damaged. Something could have blown, maybe something unrelated to the screen as well.

Something like a hard drive not booting up properly can do wierd things.

I would contact the manufacturer and see if they have suggestions. It may be a common issue. Some manyfacturers have forums, troubbleshooting sections etc. If its a common problem there should be info on it.

• Members

Thanks Guys for the info.

Update: I have opened the mixer today to check the internal fuses, they all seem to be ok. I also checked all the ribbon cables, they all looked ok as well... This might sound stupid but i sniffed around the open mixer with the power on (being careful of course) to try and find a burnt smell but to no avail. Am now gonna give Yamaha a call in the UK to see if they can shed any light on it. fingers crossed ;)

• Moderators

Most often:

(1) Ribbon cable

(2) Unseated ROM chip

(3) Power supply (look for burst electrolytic caps).

(4) Hold down multi-key sequence to reset to factory default.

If those aren't the problem, you'll probably have to send it in.

Terry D.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Sorry It's been so long but finally i found out the problem :(

After many calls with the techs at Yamaha UK who was very helpful i was unable to establish the fault and had to send it to Yamaha for repair...

I got a call from Yamaha saying that they had managed to get my 02r to work, great i thought until the tech said that he had to install their "test" motherboard to get it to work. He then proceeded to tell me that he thought that the my mother was faulty and a replacement board was

Tough question... I really like Yamaha boards, and they provide you with summing, processing and routing capabilities in addition to just DAW control functions. However, the original 02R is a pretty old board at this point, and I suppose an 02R96 is probably out of your budget range... but the DM1000 or 01V96 might be within your budget, and IMO, both sound better than the original 02R.

IOW, I'd rather opt for a newer Yamaha board than either the Procontrol or an older Yamaha board. YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

There is a blown transistor on the main board. I had to replace several of these in consoles here at work. Unfortunately it is a tiny surface mount transister (it is about an eighth of an inch square) that you can get from Yamaha, but takes a lot of skill to put it in. It is a 2 to 3 dollar part but the repair costs by a Yamaha tech ( if they would attempt the repair) would probably be hundreds of dollars. We just got rid of most of our O2Rs after 12 years of daily service. The other thing that evently goes out is the backlight for the LCD screen but that happens rarely. Our O2Rs were on 24/7 for over 12 years and they are starting to show signs that the backlight is starting to go. It is just a tiny fluorescent tube about 4 inches long.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Archived