mic for ballsy rock vocals... could i get away with a 57?

• Members

bought an avantone cv-12 today.... really like it

still feel like i need something for rock vocals where i really go off (not metal)... concentrating on recording myself for now

do you think an sm57 will do the job well?... or should i be looking for something else?

move into a new place in just under 2 weeks where i'll have the best setup i've ever had (in regards to being able to make noise)... including one of these, but with different lining and a hardwood floor

mypic45.jpg

i'd like to be sorted for mic's before i move in

only other mics are NT1a... octave mk219 (unmodded) and sm58s

using fmr rnp and rnc

budget would be around $800 aud (i'm in australia)... but the money could be spent elsewhere if i can get by without another mic

cheers

• Members

SM57 would work in a pinch. But what you REALLY want is an SM7b.

Also, get your oktava modded immediately. You might want to pick up a pair of small diaphram condensers at some point, and maybe a ribbon depending on what else you're recording. But with all of that and a treated space, you should be just fine for a while.

• Moderators

The deal with a 57 is you're going to get pops pretty easy so be sure you use your wind screen / popper stopper. I have cut guide vocals with a 57 and a wind screen, not eating the mic, say... 4" off, and have kept them because the guide rocked. I've never wanted for a better sound when that happed. A 57 can sound great on a rock vocal.

Bear in mind a 57 has a bump around 4k. Lots of voices sound great with that boost. Some don't. Just be aware of it.

The SM7 is a better choice but the 57 can rock assuming the 4k works in your favor.

• Members

cool... thanks guys

i may try a 57 and see how it sounds in the environment i'm working in... either that or i'll just bite the bullet and get the sm7b... with the left over cash going to my room treatment budget

i like the boost the 57 gives my voice... but due to noise restrictions inhibiting me at my current place.... i've haven't really cut loose with it

• Members

the 57 can be perfect, or just ok. there's not much it won't do reasonably. it mates to some preamps well too. i always thought a 57 and RNP was a nice combo for low $

Hey, how's it going?

Agreed on all counts. From my personal experience, the 57 can be perfect, or it can be okay, but it rarely sucks.

For preamps, I personally like the way it sounds with a Neve preamp, such as the Portico that I own, but didn't like it so much back in the day when I used Mackie preamps (the older ones; I don't know how the newer ones sound). It's nice with an RNP. I honestly cannot remember if I've ever used it with the Peavey VMP-2 I have, and whether I like it through that or not, but my guess is that it probably mates well with that too.

There. Now I've discussed every single "outboard" mic preamp I've ever owned. :D

• Members

Have you tried the CV-12 on vocals? While no single mic is "right" for everyone, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use one on "rock" vocals if it suited the singer.
:)

Of course, the SM57 and SM7b are both good options too, depending on the singer...

yes last night... but only mild singing

when i move in a few weeks i'll really put it through it's paces

it was actually a post you made a while ago that made me check the cv-12 out... i'd never heard of the avant stuff... after trying a bunch of mic's in that price range (and a bit higher) it's the one i chose as my 'all-rounder'... really happy with it so far... leaves my other condensers for dead to be honest (imo)

so thanks :thu:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'd buy the 57 anyway. That mic is a workhorse that should be in every studio, and doubles as a practically indestructible live mic. Check the local ads and see if you can find someone selling a lightly used one for cheap - xmas time and all. Countless recordings, blah blah blah, all been said before.

• Members

Thanks for posting the shootout. Quite impressive how they compare. I have been recording vox with a Rode NTK, but have been having the same issue on a more intense rock vocal for a song... wanting to try some other mics and whatnot to bring out the best for the song... and thus enjoying this thread. Thanks for posting.

I think I will try the sm58 tonight and see how it compares.