New Mbox's.

CME

• Members

Here is a link to the new mbox family.

Looks like the regular and pro get some on-board processing (mainly for reverb and such while tracking). The standard version also moves to USB 2.0, and the Pro is still firewire as before. They also support up to 192khz sampling (in other apps besides PTLE, as PTLE is limited to 92khz).

Piques my interest in what they will release between this and the new HD interfaces. Someone posted a link on the duc with pics of a lightpeak demo. There was an HD interface hooked up via lightpeak. Anywho hopefully there will be a bridge (Between PTLE and PTHD) of some sort offered soon. I'm hoping new native software with less/no arbitrary restrictions, and maybe some kind of pci-e/expresscard that interfaced directly with these new HD interfaces. Might even allow full use of all the I/0 in the new OMNI interface. Just me thinking out loud. :)

Thanks for posting the new Mboxes. I talked with Avid briefly today, and while it's up on the website, the press releases apparently aren't going out until tomorrow.

I'm definitely interested in seeing what they have in the works. :) I'm downloading PT HD 8.1 now and will be installing it shortly. Looks like this is slated to be the last version that supports Windows XP, so I'll have to make the switch to Windows 7 fairly soon - hopefully they'll have a non-beta / fully qualified for use with Win 7 version of PTHD ready soon...

The new HD interfaces look interesting, and I have some questions about them, as well as the new HEAT analog emulation that they did in collaboration with Dave Hill at Cranesong, that I'll be inquiring about. I may also try to do a review of the new Mbox once they have demo units ready to send out. They have some interesting features - such as the ability to do two different near zero latency headphone mixes independently of whatever DAW app you're using, new drivers, new preamps and converters... definitely interesting stuff that needs to be checked out. :)

• Members

Hey Phil, I'm in the LE world, not HD, but I thought one of the big deals about 8.0.4 LE was that is IS fully qualified to run on Windows 7 64-bit platforms and no longer in beta form as of ... a month ago? Maybe not quite that long. I'm on XP so I'm still using 8.0 - I didn't want to update and run the risk of being exposed to the white noise burst problem reported in 8.0.1, and there seem to be some problems with 8.0.4 as well with regards to the placing the sound files early.

Either way, now that the new HD interfaces are out I'm really interested to see if Avid does anything new with the HD cards. Lately I've been sorely tempted by some of the old PCI HD cards on eBay, because the price of the core cards has dropped to around $1200 or even less. It makes the thought of picking up a Lynx Aurora 16 and a couple of PCI cards awfully tempting...

The only reason I haven't done it is because, so far, LE still does everything I need it to do. The Mellowmuse ATA plugin isn't the most automatic as far as setting up delay compensation but it does work, and there doesn't appear to be a whole lot else in HD that would really interest me. I don't even remember the last time I needed more than 18 inputs, and while the thought of buying a lot of I/O and a 48-channel console is nostalgic, mixing in the box with the Command|8 has been working pretty well for me.

Maybe if I made more money with music I'd feel more justified in spending that much extra, haha. :)

• Members

FWIW PTLE 8.0.4 is qualified with W7. However PTHD still, as far as I know, has not been qualified with W7. Even though HD is now up to version 8.1 cs1.

My guess is Avid is working on a new software version of Pro Tools. More thinking out loud, but since they are pushing how well the new Mbox's work with other software. Maybe they're about to release a new version of Pro Tools that has all the features we've wanted and will truly compete with everyone else. PTLE will still be included with most systems, and will still have the restrictions. I'm guessing the rumored replacement of the 003 may include this new software. But maybe not. Again I could be way off the mark on all of this. Anywho enough:blah::blah:

• Members

Now this is interesting:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3930/intel-light-peak-lighting-up-in-2011

That's from a computer hardware site, but it's showing an Avid HD I/O connected to a laptop via the upcoming Intel LightPeak connection. According to the article, LightPeak is "working" but it will be "sometime next year" before we start seeing anything from it. Still, if the connection has high enough bandwidth and low enough latency, it could be that the time for DSP cards has come to an end...

FWIW PTLE 8.0.4 is qualified with W7. However PTHD still, as far as I know, has not been qualified with W7. Even though HD is now up to version 8.1 cs1.

Exactly.

HD is still beta on Windows 7. I imagine it won't be in beta for too much longer - there's an EOS announcement (end of service), with Pro Tools 8.1 being the final version that is going to support Windows XP. It also looks like Avid has dropped Vista too, so Win 7 is definitely the future... or the present, if you're using an LE based system on a Windows computer - it's already "supported" there with version 8.0.4.

Now this is interesting:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3930/intel-light-peak-lighting-up-in-2011

That's from a computer hardware site, but it's showing an Avid HD I/O connected to a laptop via the upcoming Intel LightPeak connection. According to the article, LightPeak is "working" but it will be "sometime next year" before we start seeing anything from it. Still, if the connection has high enough bandwidth and low enough latency, it could be that the time for DSP cards has come to an end...

This is the first I've heard about Light Peak. Thank you for posting that. :cool:

10 Gbps / possibly scalable to 100 Gbps in the future? :eekphil: That's a LOT of bandwidth! :cool:

Looks like Intel is saying the chipsets won't be ready until late 2011, and products won't show up until 2012... although from the looks of that article, Avid and Pro Tools are already getting ready. Cool! :)

I'm trying to get an Mbox review set up for Harmony Central. Stay tuned - I'll keep you guys posted and will link to the review when it gets published. :wave:

• Members

Now this is interesting:

Yeah that was the article I was referring to. I first heard of lightpeak a while back. Some people were talking about USB 3.0 vs. FW1600/3200 or whatever the upcoming FW is suppose to be. Anyways someone said both of those are almost obsolete with Lightpeak around the corner. Then I did some reading about it's potential use in the video realm. I forget how many potential HD displays you could have, all with seperate full rez images, running on one lightpeak stream. Somewhere it was mentioned, potentially, there could be just on type of "cord" for a pc with everything running through it. Sounds interesting.

Anywho it is exciting to see AVID be in on it's development.

Archived