Sontronics STC-2: Anyone used this?

• Members

As the title asks really. This isn't one of those threads where someone out of the blue asks about a random obscure mic they're thinking of buying because I've already got two of these, and I'm interested to know if anyone else has used this mic and what they think of it.

I just picked one up in a second hand store about a month ago and got the second a couple of weeks later to make a stereo pair because it was a good price, but I was impressed with the mic from the off - comes with a decent carry case, shockmount, and feels reassuringly weighty and solid. So far I've used it on my voice, clean electric guitar and as drum overheads.

It seems to manage to be bright and exciting sounding without having that harsh brittle sound quite a few of the budget condensors about just now seem to have (an SE1a I had being the worst example). Used as a drum overhead, I noticed that the cymbals have a nice expensive and glassy quality to them, and most impressively that the body and attack of the toms was coming through in the mix - something I've not been able to achieve before.

So I'm just wondering if these are a bit of an undiscovered gem or if I'm just crazy and everyone hates these mics, really.

Archived