New Pro Tools HD interfaces...

• Members

PTHD 8.1 is already available to download on the site. It's a free update. For an existing customer, the only reason to download it (and it's a big reason) is if you want to buy HEAT or try the 30 day trial.

• Members

Yeah I was really pumped about the Omni interface. Until I realized it is limited to 8 I/O. So $3k for the interface another $3-4k (minimum) for an HD card, and I'd still have only 8 channels of I/O. Sorry but no thanks.

However some people on the DUC seem to think there are new HD cards on the way. And that this was released to deter people away from the new Apogee Symphony I/O. I sure hope so.

• Members

Where does it say the Omni is 8 channels of I/O? It looks like only eight channels of analog, yes, but also 8 channels of ADAT, plus I think the website says S/PDIF and AES/EBU are also supported. I suspect that this is intended to be a crossover device, to provide a somewhat reasonable price on an interface to tempt people over from Pro Tools LE. You would still be able to use your existing outboard gear if you're like me and have other converters plugged into your LE interface, but now you would be able to use HD software.

If they provide a good price on the upgrade program, I might be tempted. But only if it's a REALLY good price, as I've been pretty pleased with my LE system.

• Members

Where does it say the Omni is 8 channels of I/O? It looks like only eight channels of analog, yes, but also 8 channels of ADAT, plus I think the website says S/PDIF and AES/EBU are also supported. I suspect that this is intended to be a crossover device, to provide a somewhat reasonable price on an interface to tempt people over from Pro Tools LE. You would still be able to use your existing outboard gear if you're like me and have other converters plugged into your LE interface, but now you would be able to use HD software.

If they provide a good price on the upgrade program, I might be tempted. But only if it's a REALLY good price, as I've been pretty pleased with my LE system.

If you download the manual, you'll find that while it has 14 inputs and 26 outputs, you can only use 8 at a time with PTHD. It will either show as inputs 1-8 or 17-24 depending on if it's the first or second device in the chain in an HD system. Also only one Omni can be used per system. There is a page in the setup that lets you select which signal you send to which input.

Kinda makes me wonder if they're not gonna release some other kind of process card to access all it's channels, but as of now that's how it stands. I was seriously interested in it until I found that out.

FWIW there are only 4 analog ins also. The two sets of mic inputs are the same channels 1 and 2, just one set on the front and the other on back. Also there are 4 line ins, but lines 1&2 are on the same inputs as the mic inputs. But yes there are 8 analog outs.

As far as Digital I/O goes, there are 8 channels of ADAT I/O, but for AES/EBU there are 2 ins and 8 outs. There is also 2 channels of SPDIF, but don't think you can use the AES/EBU and SPDIF simultaneously.

But when not used with HD there is a 14x26 mixer built it. That's the part that still has me scratching my head. It's almost more useful standalone. Okay enough :blah:

• Members

If you download the manual, you'll find that while it has 14 inputs and 26 outputs, you can only use 8 at a time with PTHD. It will either show as inputs 1-8 or 17-24 depending on if it's the first or second device in the chain in an HD system. Also only one Omni can be used per system. There is a page in the setup that lets you select which signal you send to which input.

Kinda makes me wonder if they're not gonna release some other kind of process card to access all it's channels, but as of now that's how it stands. I was seriously interested in it until I found that out.

FWIW there are only 4 analog ins also. The two sets of mic inputs are the same channels 1 and 2, just one set on the front and the other on back. Also there are 4 line ins, but lines 1&2 are on the same inputs as the mic inputs. But yes there are 8 analog outs.

As far as Digital I/O goes, there are 8 channels of ADAT I/O, but for AES/EBU there are 2 ins and 8 outs. There is also 2 channels of SPDIF, but don't think you can use the AES/EBU and SPDIF simultaneously.

But when not used with HD there is a 14x26 mixer built it. That's the part that still has me scratching my head. It's almost more useful standalone. Okay enough
:blah:

Wow. Goes to show why reading the manual is a better idea than reading the blurbs on the Avid website. That's ... well, that's kind of lame.

What they need to do is shift all the software to native, get rid of track and I/O count restrictions, add native delay compensation, and treat the HD cards like the UAD cards. That is, if you want to run TDM plugins you need an HD card to provide the processing, and the native delay compensation takes care of keeping everything lined up properly in the DAW.

There has to be a shift coming soon, because the processing power available in a quad-core i7 system w/ Hyperthreading blows the doors off of what you can get on an HD card. There's no reason a native system can't handle tons of tracks and plugins.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm calling predictions that there will be a native HD system put out soon. I have no idea the hardware that will be involved, but I'm predicting this will happen.

It will be interesting to see where they take the HD systems in the future. I'm not sure if they'll go fully native; doing so would give up some of HD's advantages... but I suppose anything is possible. :idk:

Archived