No announcement yet.

Tinnitus

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinnitus

I imagine we all suffer from it to some extent. Mine from loud race cars and motorcycles from the times when they were not really silenced. Music bombardment too. Land of the Marshall walls(wait, could trump build a Marshall wall we could plug into?) kicking our ears in.

I used to love sitting out with my PAPA(Grandfather) in the yard at dusk and listen to the cicadas make their racket. Just did not count on it become a 24/7 deal. Funny thing is I have no trouble with it trying to sleep. Seems like my Kidney and gastro ailments seem to make it rage when they go at me. Especially the kidney stuff.

I actually have pretty acute hearing despite this. Bildette is always surprised at the quiet things I can hear.

very weird aliment.

Suffered from bad ear infections from a lot of time in the water(I almost lived in the pool or in the coastal waters). Curbed them after I started using an alcohol/vinegar and sometimes a little Hydrogen peroxide. Always two drops in each ear after being in the water.

My ears are pretty close to my head(don't stick out goofily) and pretty symmetrical.

Think that covers everything about my ears.

Let's her about your ears.

oh...and they are fun to nibble on...

I had the loudest drummer on earth and I can still hear his GD cymbals.
    Last edited by Daehtihs; 06-18-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Funny, I've driven race cars, played loud-as-he11 rock and sat in front of blaring symphonic horn sections, shot pistols, scuba'd and generally done everything that is supposed to be bad for your hearing. The last time I went to an audiologist to be checked, he told me that I won the genetic lottery - I have zero hearing degradation.

I guess I'm just lucky - sorry to hear of the struggles you guys are going through. I'm pretty sure that my time will come eventually, and it won't be enjoyable.
      Lease this space!

Comment

WHAT??? Speak up!
        For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
        https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
        www.steelphantoms.com/
        PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandler
          My ears are ringing like hell as I write. It's 24-7 with me.
          But are they goofy like your avatars?

Comment

I can hear the operating rod of the M60 machinegun and it won't cease fire...

Comment

I’ve had tinnitus since my 20s. I only notice it when lying in bed and it’s really quiet. And, like you, it’s never seemed to affect my hearing and I can pick up berg quiet sounds.

Voices in my right ear sound muffled and I often have to cock my left ear towards people to make out what they are saying. But it hasn’t seemed to affect the frequency range I hear.

Which isnt much in either ear anymore. I’ve taken those online hearing test and seem to top out at around 12kh or so.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post
                Funny, I've driven race cars, played loud-as-he11 rock and sat in front of blaring symphonic horn sections, shot pistols, scuba'd and generally done everything that is supposed to be bad for your hearing. The last time I went to an audiologist to be checked, he told me that I won the genetic lottery - I have zero hearing degradation.

I guess I'm just lucky - sorry to hear of the struggles you guys are going through. I'm pretty sure that my time will come eventually, and it won't be enjoyable.
                Great to hear that SH. I know you have been around a lot of the damagers(is that a made up word?). Hope you always stay without it. At least there are no voices....unless you think of it as choir.

Comment

I am truly fortunate - at age 54, and a lifetime spent recording and playing music, I have no tinnitus, and as of last year when I had my hearing tested, I can still hear up to 16.5KHz.
                  Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by Vito Corleone View Post
                    I’ve had tinnitus since my 20s. I only notice it when lying in bed and it’s really quiet. And, like you, it’s never seemed to affect my hearing and I can pick up berg quiet sounds.

Voices in my right ear sound muffled and I often have to cock my left ear towards people to make out what they are saying. But it hasn’t seemed to affect the frequency range I hear.

Which isnt much in either ear anymore. I’ve taken those online hearing test and seem to top out at around 12kh or so.
                    Yes, my left ear is worse in picking up things. I need to get a test. Seems like when you are busy with things it is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by bildo View Post

Yes, my left ear is worse in picking up things. I need to get a test. Seems like when you are busy with things it is gone.
                      Like yours, my wife is always amazed at the little things I can pick up. So much so that I suggested she have her hearing checked. It came back fine. I think it’s more just having my ears “on” more. Probably a musician thing. Im naturally paying more attention to background sounds and she’s blocking them out

as far as getting hearing checked goes through? Yeah I guess it’s interesting to know but it’s not like there is much anyone can do about it.

Comment

I got smart at a young age and started wearing earplugs during practices, performances, and concerts.

Only thing I've noticed over time is that my left is slightly more deaf than my right. Or at least that's what my headphone balance tells me.

Pretty acute and high range, otherwise. I can't remember the last time I actually got tested, though.

Flag a Post
                        The Report has been sent.
                        [OK]

Comment

Even if I did have tinnitus, I wouldn't be able to hear it on account of the ringing in my ears.
                          "Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer"

Comment

I've had it for as long as I can remember. It's just background noised to me, doesn't bother me at all.
                            Guns Over People

I pledge my allegiance to David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vito Corleone View Post

as far as getting hearing checked goes through? Yeah I guess it’s interesting to know but it’s not like there is much anyone can do about it.
                              Not after the fact, no. However, there are lots of preventive things that can be done, and over the years
                              I have been relentlessly annoying about telling people, especially younger recording engineers and musicians.

When it comes to hearing loss, the real culprit isn't the decibel level - its prolonged exposure. Short term exposure to high db will rarely, if ever, do sny irrecoverable damage (unless its a transient loud enough to rupture an eardrum). Otoh, prolonged, repeated exposure to even moderately loud signal will.

When listening/monitoring, ALWAYS cycle your volume. Its ok to crank it up, jys2t do2bt keep it there.

Avoid prolonged headphone usage like the plague. Don't use headphones as your primary monitorung source, ever.

If you're a gigging musician, I recommend ear protection, but only if you are gigging consistently, like several times a week (or if you play metal ). For those of us like myself who gig maybe twice a month, with moderate stage volume, I think earplugs are unnecessary and annoying.

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Working...
                              X