YES! Yacht Rock Radio is BACK on XM!

• Members

I was trying to find a Youtube recording of the guy that does the bumpers in the exaggerated "Thurston Howell III" voice but could only find this old promo. Just hilarious comments that must have been a blast to write, like somehow oblivious to the fact that not everyone in the world owns a yacht etc., or "ooooo that tune is sooo yachtty", "...a bunch of tunes by dudes with mustaches and feathered hair".":lol: I`ve heard "Peg" at least twice in the last 24 hourssmiley-veryhappy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Cool! Another entire group of people and musicians to look down on! Awesome!

How is listening to a channel dedicated to the music "looking down upon them"? :idk:

Part of being a Yacht Rock fan (which I proudly am) is having the ability to embrace the term. Keep it fun. It's just music, people.

• Members

How is listening to a channel dedicated to the music "looking down upon them"? :idk:

Part of being a Yacht Rock fan (which I proudly am) is having the ability to embrace the term. Keep it fun. It's just music, people.

Let's see...

You're for yacht rock and you're against Ozzy. What does that tell us?

Hmmm...

:cop::cool:

• Members
For those who aren't in the know and don't know if a song is Yacht or nyacht, you can always check this website...

https://www.yachtornyacht.com/

Hey, I don't need no silly website to tell me what's Yacht or Nyacht. I know for myself!

Part of the fun of Yacht Rock is deciding what is Yacht or Nyacht and why. Setting your own definitions. A friend and I listened to this station on a long drive last summer deciding whether each song or artist was truly Yacht and to what degree.

I'll bet this one doesn't even make that website's list! But what good is a trip on your yacht without a smoooooth instrumental after sailing back to port?

And the album cover seals the deal!

[video=youtube;J7ji_PRL8_U]

• Members

I never heard of "Yacht Rock", so I looked it up. It seems to have occurred during a period of time when I had developed an intense disdain for popular culture. I still harbor those feelings. That is not intended to be a slam toward anyone's tastes, just my choice.

Even though it is not from that era, it seems that "Sloop John B" should be on the list. I like that song.

• Members
I never heard of "Yacht Rock", so I looked it up. It seems to have occurred during a period of time when I had developed an intense disdain for popular culture. I still harbor those feelings. That is not intended to be a slam toward anyone's tastes, just my choice.

Even though it is not from that era, it seems that "Sloop John B" should be on the list. I like that song.

Not every song about a boat qualifies as 'yacht rock', my friend. And most of what the Beach Boys did was not yacht.

But the one of theirs that probably comes the closest is this:

[video=youtube;89x9W9drH0Y]

• Members

Hey, I don't need no silly website to tell me what's Yacht or Nyacht. I know for myself!

Part of the fun of Yacht Rock is deciding what is Yacht or Nyacht and why. Setting your own definitions. A friend and I listened to this station on a long drive last summer deciding whether each song or artist was truly Yacht and to what degree.

I'll bet this one doesn't even make that website's list! But what good is a trip on your yacht without a smoooooth instrumental after sailing back to port?

And the album cover seals the deal!

[video=youtube;J7ji_PRL8_U]

When I was in high school that was a go-to band for impressing the girls.

Boz Scaggs was another one.

West coast anyway.

• Members

Not every song about a boat qualifies as 'yacht rock', my friend. And most of what the Beach Boys did was not yacht.

But the one of theirs that probably comes the closest is this:

[video=youtube;89x9W9drH0Y]

Gawd, I used to hate that song. Pretty much the only BB song I didn't like...that I heard.

There was a great BB documentary on AXSTV lately, FYI.

• Members
I never heard of "Yacht Rock"' date=' so I looked it up. [b']It seems to have occurred during a period of time when I had developed an intense disdain for popular culture. I still harbor those feelings[/b]. That is not intended to be a slam toward anyone's tastes, just my choice.

:D

I think a lot of us developed that same disdain. All except for one...or two of us.:cop:

One of them is named Sarducci.:cool03:

• Members

So jazz-rock fusion is yacht rock, as is the entire Toto and Doobie Brothers catalog. Yacht Rock seems to be a shorthand way of saying stuff from the eighties that I did not like.

No, just the Michael McDonald era stuff. But Toto? Oh hell yeah. In fact, anything with a Porcaro brother anywhere near the recording is pretty much an automatic shoe-in.

Jazz rock fusion is almost always acceptable to play on the yacht. Anything that sounds like it took a LOT of money to record will usually qualify.

But the best yacht rock songs (IMO) are those with a bit of ironic sadness to them. Those that you'd play while busting out the lines of coke to impress that girl who is probably way too young for you but since you're now spending so much more time on your boat now that the wife has left you and has taken the house and the kids.....

• Members

I was mad when they took it off last time and put something stupid in its place:mad:. Then a couple days ago I was listening to another channel when “Yacht Rock Guy” came on between songs with the hilarious accent and beckoned me to change the channel to 70(that’s seven-zero:whisper:). Now I can get my groove back on in my land yacht..soo yachtty.

Archived