Fantastic find!(more tubes)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post

Yep. HF 10kw.
    Most people look at those kind and say "that's not a tube, where's the glass".
    (The US will not survive the obama presidency. The world may not either.) Cuban Leaf

Comment

Originally posted by fretmess View Post

Most people look at those kind and say "that's not a tube, where's the glass".
      Yeah they use ceramic instead of glass for shielding and other nefarious purposes.

Out 500kw LF transmitters had tubes that were 48" long and weighed 50lbs.

The sockets and associated circuitry was all solver plated straps, bolts, etc.

We didn't maintenance with tools similar to the ones for working on automobiles.

Comment

Originally posted by erok123 View Post

12ax7, 6v6gt, of course. No name brand.
        I wonder if they are using something along the lines of a vintage Champ circuit in those... it probably wouldn't be exact (sounds like you have a solid state rectifier), but I'm guessing the circuits are similar. I may see if I can track down a schematic and take a look...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

I wonder if they are using something along the lines of a vintage Champ circuit in those... it probably wouldn't be exact (sounds like you have a solid state rectifier), but I'm guessing the circuits are similar. I may see if I can track down a schematic and take a look...

Yes, it has a SS rectifier for sure. I like the amp, plenty of chime, but I think it compresses to easy.
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.

Comment

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post

Yeah they use ceramic instead of glass for shielding and other nefarious purposes.

Out 500kw LF transmitters had tubes that were 48" long and weighed 50lbs.

The sockets and associated circuitry was all solver plated straps, bolts, etc.

We didn't maintenance with tools similar to the ones for working on automobiles.
            Biggest thing I've dealt with is FM 5K transmitter and old AM Gates BC-1 that was all tube. Nautel spoiled me with their 1K all solid state AM transmitter. Small market radio is kinda' fun until it isn't.
            (The US will not survive the obama presidency. The world may not either.) Cuban Leaf

Comment

Originally posted by fretmess View Post

Biggest thing I've dealt with is FM 5K transmitter and old AM Gates BC-1 that was all tube. Nautel spoiled me with their 1K all solid state AM transmitter. Small market radio is kinda' fun until it isn't.
              Yeah I think SS work up to a certain wattage, after which tubes take over due to the large voltages involved.

I used to use a fluorescent light bulb to check the transmitters & couplers for RF leaks!

Comment

Originally posted by erok123 View Post
                I bought one of these from Monoprice. 5 watt tweedish clone. Would NOS tubes give it more mojo?

I almost bought one of those before I got out of the last band I was in. My main function was keyboards but I also played guitar and the sound guy was mic-ing my little '59 Gibson Skylark amp. It sounded great but I was always concerned about my little vintage amp getting damaged in transport etc..

Does that thing sound pretty good?

Comment

Originally posted by ggm1960 View Post

I almost bought one of those before I got out of the last band I was in. My main function was keyboards but I also played guitar and the sound guy was mic-ing my little '59 Gibson Skylark amp. It sounded great but I was always concerned about my little vintage amp getting damaged in transport etc..

Does that thing sound pretty good?
                  I haven't tried one yet, but a lot of people really seem to like them. They're super inexpensive by tube amp standards...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                  - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                  - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                  - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                  X