Fantastic find!(more tubes)

• Members

These were priced almost too good to be true on eBay so I couldn’t resist. Both test really close to NOS(just where I like them. Someone-military on the red lettered/white box one- used it just enough to find it useful). Tried both of them, just silent and beautiful sounding. Love it when that happens, lots of noisy ones out there.

bf472e6bf58b65d2c52c685a3ab8280b.thumb.jpg.c7b966c9f961a685f91d8592573b8bf9.jpg

b985e0fb3abbddcb49cb5a75fc27f73d.thumb.jpg.951644311a6408564cf317e0eb4fe887.jpg

• Members
Congratulations. Happy New Tubes Day. :thu: Do you have a specific amp in mind for them?

Microphone, but these also work great as a phase inverter. I wanted enough old tubes to last a lifetime and I think I`ve achieved that(and then some). They are getting so expensive, and there are just so many bad ones in circulation that I`m amazed both of these are just perfect. I figured if 1 was bad, it`s still a great deal, but they're both awesome! Probably part of the problem is using them in a microphone is a lot different than using them in a radio or TV set. They will test fine, but noise galore. But the perfect one is just silent, especially the old(OLD) military ones. They do not make them like they used to..at all. So I have my cache I did put a REALLY old GE 5 star 12AY7, which is a little less hot than a 12AT7 in the phase inverter of an amp and it just sounds incredible compared to the new JJ tube that was previously in there.

• Members

I've always played tube amps...so back in the 80s I started collecting tubes...I have a couple of boxes of NOS tubes down in my basement....Mullard, GE, Phillips and others...one of these days I'll start listing them on Ebay.

• Members
I've always played tube amps...so back in the 80s I started collecting tubes...I have a couple of boxes of NOS tubes down in my basement....Mullard' date=' GE, Phillips and others...one of these days I'll start listing them on Ebay.[/quote']

Do it, look at how much they are going for. It goes up by the month, get a good tester, though. Amperex or I think Hickock TV7(old military tester) is the tester buyers are looking for. They are not cheap, so weigh what you have vs. buying a good tester. I know they are in the 2k range, but you can be a buyer as well as a seller. Some anecdotal stuff, I have a few primary sellers I buy from. Few test for noise, but that is a bonus, but not always accurate. Also one guy told me he spent like $800 on a crate of surplus military electronics and got $5000 in tubes out of it. The military ones are the best. They are built to last..a LONG time. This is actually right up your alley with the Coleman stuff. I got a fast hard education, and I know what to look for.

• Members

Okay then what microphone? (I swear, I'll get you nailed down one of these days. Grumble, grumble.) ;)

It`s a DIY ELAM 251 circuit copy. With DIY badass power supply build, quiet and steady as hell.

-I missed your post with Hoddys big fat one I guess.

• Members

If you’ve ever seen an old military radio, it’s so overbuilt, but rightfully so. Also over-tubed, unrightfully so. Contracts etc. So it is to our benefit that the military(best) versions of these tubes are still around. And mostly barely used. You don’t want a “new” one. There is a reason it’s still “new”. Slightly used. It was good enough for someone to use it. As you can see in the picture, this is history, military and music. Three things I love.

If you’ve ever seen an old military radio' date=' it’s so overbuilt, but rightfully so. Also over-tubed, unrightfully so. Contracts etc. So it is to our benefit that the military(best) versions of these tubes are still around. And mostly barely used. You don’t want a “new” one. There is a reason it’s still “new”. Slightly used. It was good enough for someone to use it. As you can see in the picture, this is history, military and music. Three things I love. [/quote']

The reason the military needed heavy-duty tubes is because of the need for reliability. Stuff had to work, or people could literally die.

When you're mounting tube electronics into things like missiles and jet aircraft, it has to be able to take a lickin' and keep on tickin'... I'd much rather have old MIL-SPEC tubes than new ones, all else being equal.

Congrats on the new (old) tubes!

I should probably stock up on a few things... it wouldn't hurt to have a few more really good 6072's and some more EF86's, and some more really good 6V6's and 6L6GC's... I'm pretty well stocked on 12AX7's and 12AT7's ATM.

Oh, and I should probably get a backup 6C10 for my Rivera-era Super Champ - those seem to be getting harder to find... and more expensive. :(

Maybe a little but modern amps are designed to sound good with new production tubes.

Yes, to a degree... although Chinese tubes (which is what I'm guessing came in erok's amp) are, on average, pretty dreadful IMHO - even compared to other modern tubes.

I'd say it's probably more accurate to say that modern amps are designed to work with(in) the limitations of modern tubes, which frequently can't take the higher plate voltages that older amps and tubes often used. YMMV

• Members

The reason the military needed heavy-duty tubes is because of the need for reliability. Stuff had to work, or people could literally die.

When you're mounting tube electronics into things like missiles and jet aircraft, it has to be able to take a lickin' and keep on tickin'... I'd much rather have old MIL-SPEC tubes than new ones, all else being equal.

Congrats on the new (old) tubes!

Yep.

And a lot of mil-spec tubes were also radioactive.

The largest tube I worked with was a JAN4CX5000.

The old RIM 2 Terrier missile literally had to be "warmed up" before it could be fired.

• Members

Yep.

The old RIM 2 Terrier missile literally had to be "warmed up" before it could be fired.

WUT:eek2:?? I have like a LOT of these.

There:thu: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-radiation-detector-new?a=110931

• Members

Yep.

Transmitting tube?

• Members

Years ago I bought an old Gibson tube amp 1958 GA6.

the tubes were Sylvania but they had been painted black. My amp tech called them war surplus blackout tubes and said they had been used in military field radios, painted so the glow could not be seen at night.

Archived