DISCARDED TECH

• Members

Before you throw out your some of your vintage tech for faster, easier or more features tech , think about this.

1) Have you fully exhausted all of the possibilities or that keyboard or sound module, or did you just use the presets already in the box?

2) Where will your old gear end up after you get rid of it? Where will it end up after the dumpster?

3) Do you know someone who could really use it. (NOT ME. I HAVE TOO MUCH ALREADY!) I'm speaking about poor local musicians or giving to charities.

If we ever take the time to fully explore the hardware, that we already have, we will be surprised what we can do with it. I know you laugh about my work with the Commodore 64, but I have recently created some very USABLE sounds that are like nothing I have heard before...with this 8 bit computer.

Dan

• Members
Before you throw out your some of your vintage tech for faster, easier or more features tech , think about this.

1) Have you fully exhausted all of the possibilities or that keyboard or sound module, or did you just use the presets already in the box?

2) Where will your old gear end up after you get rid of it? Where will it end up after the dumpster?

3) Do you know someone who could really use it. (NOT ME. I HAVE TOO MUCH ALREADY!) I'm speaking about poor local musicians or giving to charities.

If we ever take the time to fully explore the hardware, that we already have, we will be surprised what we can do with it. I know you laugh about my work with the Commodore 64, but I have recently created some very USABLE sounds that are like nothing I have heard before...with this 8 bit computer.

Dan

Well Dan, I can safely say I've never laughed at your work with a C-64 because I'm unaware of it. I used to have a C-64. In fact it became the base for my initial foray into the world of MIDI composition. I started off with just a tape drive, then moved up to a disk drive, Got a entry level midi interface that came with some software with the ability to record 4 separate midi tracks. Moved up to what, if I remember correctly was "Super Sequencer" with 8 midi tracks. Started off with just a Juno 106. Then added a "Midi Bass", a couple of different Roland drum machines, and a Yamaha FB-01. Got a sync box to lock my four track up with the C-64 and had a serious blast for a few years. Might have done better if I had actually been a keyboard player......I did record a lot of stuff, some of it moderately listenable.Moved into IBM clone territory, computer wise...Became a Dad, and gave the C-64 to a former Brother-in-law that was a real musician. Can't tell you how much I miss that C-64 though.....Sequencing was stripped down, no graphs or wav files...just like recording on tape really....

Haven't utilized MIDI in years...I should get back to it...The Lad is grown.

• Members

Setting aside the C64 comments I made, ask yourselves, "When was the last time that I made a patch (sound)? " I admit that even though I was ambitious about this in the 80's , now I just try a download patches ,or buy more modules.

Dan

• Members

I'm loathe to throw out anything that works (and a lot of stuff that doesn't). I like the idea of giving stuff not being used away to folks who can use them.

But when the time finally comes to dispose of electronic gear, remember to do it properly, so as to help contain the heavy metals and other toxic materials typically involved. My city has electronic waste drives several times a year. (They also have shredder days but I always seem to miss them.)

• Members

I hoard gear. I still have a TX81z and an MT32 synth module in my rack, along with newer gear. Those old sounds come in handy sometimes.

If something is useless to me, it goes up on craigslist or ebay to find a new home. I don't care if I make anything more than shipping costs, the idea is to keep it out of the landfill.

Notes

Archived