Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gismo recording
    started a topic Great production in the 80's

Great production in the 80's

In another thread Anton said that He hated the production of almost all of the recordings made in the 1980's.
    I want to present my case as one of the greatest production since "Dark Side of the Moon".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_in_Arms_(album)
    My favorite from that album.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpWS1dlm5i8

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied
    Originally posted by SteinbergerHack

I guess a few people liked some of his stuff with Pink Floyd.....
    Yes - quite a few people did - myself included. I think DSOTM is utterly brilliant... but then again, Alan's work with Floyd was 70's era, not 80's.

Leave a comment:

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied
    Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post
    Turn of a Friendly Card?
    I don't know about everyone else, but I always liked Alan Parsons' work.

Leave a comment:

• SteinbergerHack
    replied
    Turn of a Friendly Card?

Leave a comment:

• Ernest Buckley
    replied
    Lots of good productions from the 80s...

Anything by Quincy Jones
    Anything Trevor Horn... Yes, Pet Shop Boys
    Dire Straits records
    Rush records
    Madonna records
    Lenny Kravitz records

Leave a comment:

• SteinbergerHack
    replied
    Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post
    Oh, here's one! Very '80s!

Please tell me that you aren't serious.....Paula Abdul is NOT a strong singer....really terrible technique......blech.

Leave a comment:

• SteinbergerHack
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

Huh? He played a 1st inversion Maj triad??? With a little sus4 thrown in? Genius!

Seriously, whats so special about DMaj(sus4), BbMaj/D and Cmaj/D?
    Honestly, "Way Cool Junior" is the example I would use for a Ratt guitar intro. At least it grooves.....sort of.

Leave a comment:

• Zig al-din
    replied
    I really like the sound of some of the early Cocteau Twins records, especially Head over Heels though I imagine Anton hates that one.

There were a few others on 4AD that I also still like a lot - for example Throwing Muses' House Tornado album and Wolfgang Press. Siouxsie' Tinderbox and Juju are also two favorites from that era - mostly for the music but also for the atmosphere and mood of the recordings.

For me in many cases, it's more about the atmosphere or soundscape created by the production. I don't think that it has to be some rigidly defined thing. The production can and should be part of the aesthetic effect experienced by the listener. If the Fall or the Stooges' or Sonic Youth's records sounded like Phil Spector or some other more current mainstream sound engineer, they wouldn't have the same artistic value IMO.
    Last edited by Zig al-din; 05-06-2019, 10:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Red Ant
    replied
    Originally posted by Zooey View Post

I backed into that one. I was very loosely into the rave scene of the 90s, so I heard Eat Static first, and Ozric Tentacles much later.

I'm familiar with Eat Static through the Ozrics, but like it far less, as there isn't nearly as much genre-blending going on, its fairly conventional EDM for its time.

Leave a comment:

• Zooey
    replied
    Of course, Ozric Tentacles started out in the 80s, and I love the sh*t out of ANYTHING Ozric Tentacles

I backed into that one. I was very loosely into the rave scene of the 90s, so I heard Eat Static first, and Ozric Tentacles much later.

Leave a comment:

• Zooey
    replied
    I should also mention that the horrors of 80s production didn't just affect pop and rock... they made their way into jazz as well...
    Remember Miles Davis' "You're Under Arrest?" Yikes. Actually, John Scofield is on that one.
    Last edited by Zooey; 05-06-2019, 12:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Zooey
    replied
    The Flat Earth is a brilliant album, and it still sounds incredible to me... all the glitz and polish of 80s production, but perfectly organic to the music and balanced with warmth, space and incredible stereo imaging.
    It's a favorite of mine. Particularly "Screen Kiss" and "the Flat Earth." The bass player on that album is an absolute monster. Whoa, guess he was in the Soft Boys? Just looked it up.

Most of what I was listening to in the 80s was not huge budget stuff by US top forty standards with some exceptions. Brian Eno with Talking Heads and U2 were obviously lavish productions. The Hurting and Songs from the Big Chair by Tears for Fears were major productions. Diesel and Dust is a cool sounding album, no idea who did that one. Some cool dub and reggae albums were made in the eighties, for example, "Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires."
    Last edited by Zooey; 05-06-2019, 12:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• -Ed Phobes-
    replied
    Most of my "80s listening" was "avant-funk/no-wave" ... James Chance & The Contortions,

Why don't you try being stupid
    Instead of smart.

Leave a comment:

• Red Ant
    replied
    Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post
    80s hair metal was the best. It's still my favorite type of music.
    You have my sincere consciences.

Leave a comment:

• Cornholio Farquarth III
    replied
    80s hair metal was the best. It's still my favorite type of music.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X