Great production in the 80's

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same, and Communique over both.

Hmmm. I would disagree those albums had better production or mix. But even if you prefer them, you still have to agree the sound of this album is fantastic?

Not one of my favorite albums — and a couple of tracks are waaaay overplayed—but it is one I return to just because sounds so damn good.

• Moderators
In another thread Anton said that He hated the production of almost all of the recordings made in the 1980's.

I want to present my case as one of the greatest production since "Dark Side of the Moon".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_in_Arms_(album)

My favorite from that album.

The best thing I can say about it is that it isn't nearly as bad as some other 80s productions. Its still too bright and too wet, imho.

Here are some 80s productions that I do like. They have several common threads though, they're all early 80s, and have either Compass Point Studios, Eno and/or Rhett Davies in common.

Remain In Light

Gabriel IV

My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts

Avalon

And then there were:

PE - It Takes A Nation Of Millions

Eric B & Rakim: Paid In Full

Boogie Down Productions: Criminal Minded.

They also had a common thread - nothing in music had ever sounded like these records before.

edit: forgot Back in Black, which came out in 1980 and sounded awesome.

• Members

Chuck Ainlay did an amazing surround remix of this album in 2005. De-80s-ed the mix just a bit as well This is one of the “demo” discs I use when I have friends over and want to impress them with why I think surround mixes can be so superior to 2-channel stereo.

If you have the setup/and or the opportunity, you should check it out.

• Members

Making Movies is my favorite Dire Straits album, sound wise and song wise.

Never liked Brothers in Arms; can't stand Money for Nothing or Walk of Life.

To me, it's the album where Knopfler abandoned his classic guitar sound and his tone became ordinary.

• Moderators
Making Movies is my favorite Dire Straits album, sound wise and song wise.

Never liked Brothers in Arms; can't stand Money for Nothing or Walk of Life.

To me, it's the album where Knopfler abandoned his classic guitar sound and his tone became ordinary.

I'm less bothered by the ordinariness of the tone than the ordinariness of the songwriting.

• Moderators
Generally' date=' I liked the "cleanness" but I hated the drum sounds.[/quote']

Drum sounds, synth sounds, all the air sucked out of recording and replaced with "digital air" in a very obvious, unsubtle way... I hate all of it.

Fortunately by the 90s we all learned to use the new technology for good and not evil :lol:

• Members

I still think Thriller is a great sounding album; great sounds, fat bass, good grooves, excellent songwriting, great guest artists (Van Halen, Paul McCartney, Vincent Price, Steve Lukather, Jeff Porcaro, Steve Porcaro, Greg Phillinganes, etc).

• Moderators
I still think Thriller is a great sounding album; great sounds, fat bass, good grooves, excellent songwriting, great guest artists (Van Halen, Paul McCartney, Vincent Price, Steve Lukather, Jeff Porcaro, Steve Porcaro, Greg Phillinganes, etc).

It is, but listen to how much fuller, richer and warmer Off The Wall sounds in comparison.

• Members

New and poorly understood recording tools, changing public tastes and cocaine :lol:

I'll have to give Off the Wall a listen. I've heard the hits off of that record a million times and I don't remember them sounding particularly special from an audible perspective. Thriller has a crispness and clarity that jumps out at me.

• Moderators

I'll have to give Off the Wall a listen. I've heard the hits off of that record a million times and I don't remember them sounding particularly special from an audible perspective. Thriller has a crispness and clarity that jumps out at me.

[video=youtube;g8DOz4o7qJU]

• Moderators
Invasion of Your Privacy!

Not a clue... had to look it up. And yep, every example of awful 80s production, prominently displayed - thin, overprocessed guitars with way too much verb, massively wet drums (and vocals), no low end to speak of, everything is super shiny and brittle :lol:

• Members

Not a clue... had to look it up. And yep, every example of awful 80s production, prominently displayed - thin, overprocessed guitars with way too much verb, massively wet drums (and vocals), no low end to speak of, everything is super shiny and brittle :lol:

Hehe, I figured that would epitomize your eightiesphobia. :lol:

Still has one of the best opening guitar riffs ever though on "Lay it Down."

• Moderators

Still has one of the best opening guitar riffs ever though on "Lay it Down."

Meh. Even for 80s hair metal, its mediocre... I had to pull up a youtube to ever remember what it sounded like. VH was still king of the memorable intro riff back then.

Archived