No announcement yet.

Great production in the 80's

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

And coming back around to the prog thing, “Owner of a Lonely Heart” blew my mind first time I heard it.
    Really? It was ok, but I never thought that record lived up to their '70s stuff, most of it anyway. I was kind of a Steve Howe loyalist though. I do remember the issue of Guitar that was transcribed in.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

Of course, Ozric Tentacles started out in the 80s, and I love the sh*t out of ANYTHING Ozric Tentacles

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post
        Of course, Ozric Tentacles started out in the 80s, and I love the sh*t out of ANYTHING Ozric Tentacles

That was completely off my radar, but with a little editing it would have made a great soundtrack for an '80s training montage.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post

Really? It was ok, but I never thought that record lived up to their '70s stuff, most of it anyway. I was kind of a Steve Howe loyalist though. I do remember the issue of Guitar that was transcribed in.
          I never bothered to compare it to their earlier stuff, of which I was never much of a fan of anyway.

It sounded like nothing I had ever heard before. First time I had ever heard samples used like that.

Comment

I never liked any Yes, tbh, and thought *at the time* it was better than anything they'd done since Bruford left, but for me it REALLY does not hold up today. Its more like Trevor Horn's shark-jumping moment
            Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

No love for Stock, Aitken, & Waterman?

I like Showin' Out (Mel and Kim), but more for the bassline than the production.
              I'd get up
              If I knew I fell

---------------
              I love this record – ray
              https://soundcloud.com/ed-phobes

Comment

I never liked any Yes, tbh, and thought *at the time* it was better than anything they'd done since Bruford left, but for me it REALLY does not hold up today. Its more like Trevor Horn's shark-jumping moment
                But yet you just cited things of his he did that you like that came AFTER?

Comment

I never bothered to compare it to their earlier stuff, of which I was never much of a fan of anyway.

It sounded like nothing I had ever heard before. First time I had ever heard samples used like that.
                  Trevor'd been using that same Fairlight orch hit for years before then, its all over the Art Of Noise records, and a bunch of other productions he'd done. To my shame, I used it as well... I had access to the Fairlight through the NYU sound lab, and overused it shamelessly on my 1st ever "official" project, called "Intellectric", in 1984. Fortunately for everyone, the masters did not survive the years, and there were only a few thousand 12' singles pressed, so I never need worry about anyone actually hearing the music
                  Last edited by Red Ant; 05-05-2019, 10:57 PM.

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

But yet you just cited things of his he did that you like that came AFTER?
                    People can stumble and get back up, you know

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

That was completely off my radar, but with a little editing it would have made a great soundtrack for an '80s training montage.
                      It would have been off mine as well, except for a friend who was their US booking agent. As soon as I heard I was like "OMG someone likes Gong as much as I do!!!" I was sold immediately
                      Last edited by Red Ant; 05-05-2019, 10:57 PM.

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Trevor'd been using that same Fairlight orch hit for years before then, its all over the Art Of Noise records, and a bunch of other productions he'd done. To my shame, I used it as well... I had access to the Fairlight through the NYU sound lab, and overused it shamelessly on my 1st ever "official" project, called "Intellectric", in 1983. Fortunately for everyone, the masters did not survive the years, and there were only a few thousand 12' singles pressed, so I never need worry about anyone actually hearing the music
                        Art of Noise’s first album came out the following year. and I don’t think anything they did predated “Owner” by more than a few weeks, if at all.

In any case, it was the first time I had ever heard it and probably most of America.
                        Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-05-2019, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Most of my "80s listening" was "avant-funk/no-wave" NY stuff that never made the big time - Defunkt, Ronald Shannon Jackson & The Decoding Society, Bill Laswell's various projects, James Chance & The Contortions, Jamaladeen Tacuma... and the Rochester/Veasley Band:

All of it sounded like crap production-wise, but I liked the liberties they were taking with the music, the genre-blending, etc...

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

I wore out several copies of this record... a perennial party favorite back then:

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Art of Noise’s first album came out the following year. and I don’t think anything they did predated “Owner” by more than a few weeks, if at all.

In any case, it was the first time I had ever heard it and probably most of America.
                              You are probably right on the chronology... a lot of the 80s tend to get compressed and jumbled in my mind - it was a long time ago, and I liked to party back then

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

People can stumble and get back up, you know
                                So he stumbled over the shark?

Comment

Working...
                                X