No announcement yet.

Great production in the 80's

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E-money View Post
    I still think Thriller is a great sounding album; great sounds, fat bass, good grooves, excellent songwriting, great guest artists (Van Halen, Paul McCartney, Vincent Price, Steve Lukather, Jeff Porcaro, Steve Porcaro, Greg Phillinganes, etc).
    It is, but listen to how much fuller, richer and warmer Off The Wall sounds in comparison.
    Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

It is, but listen to how much fuller, richer and warmer Off The Wall sounds in comparison.
      To what do you attribute this?

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
      For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
      Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

To what do you attribute this?
        New and poorly understood recording tools, changing public tastes and cocaine
        Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

New and poorly understood recording tools, changing public tastes and cocaine
          I'll have to give Off the Wall a listen. I've heard the hits off of that record a million times and I don't remember them sounding particularly special from an audible perspective. Thriller has a crispness and clarity that jumps out at me.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
          For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
          Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

I'll have to give Off the Wall a listen. I've heard the hits off of that record a million times and I don't remember them sounding particularly special from an audible perspective. Thriller has a crispness and clarity that jumps out at me.

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

IMO it doesn't get much better than Nick Lowe's production on "Nick the Nnife".
              Guns Over People

I pledge my allegiance to David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez!!!

Comment

Invasion of Your Privacy!

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post
                  Invasion of Your Privacy!
                  Not a clue... had to look it up. And yep, every example of awful 80s production, prominently displayed - thin, overprocessed guitars with way too much verb, massively wet drums (and vocals), no low end to speak of, everything is super shiny and brittle
                  Last edited by Red Ant; 05-05-2019, 06:39 PM.

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Not a clue... had to look it up. And yep, every example of awful 80s production, prominently displayed - thin, overprocessed guitars with way too much verb, massively wet drums (and vocals), no low end to speak of, everything is super shiny and brittle
                    Hehe, I figured that would epitomize your eightiesphobia.

Still has one of the best opening guitar riffs ever though on "Lay it Down."

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

Still has one of the best opening guitar riffs ever though on "Lay it Down."
                      Meh. Even for 80s hair metal, its mediocre... I had to pull up a youtube to ever remember what it sounded like. VH was still king of the memorable intro riff back then.

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Meh. Even for 80s hair metal, its mediocre... I had to pull up a youtube to ever remember what it sounded like. VH was still king of the memorable intro riff back then.
                        It took me years to figure that riff out exactly! He takes a Police/Eddie Brickell chord and pushes the top two notes up a half step turning it into major triad with the 3rd in the bass. Pretty slick!

Of course you're right though, Eddie was the king.

Comment

Stopped by a friend’s house for dinner and he has some music playing in the background and an Arif Mardin 80s production — Chaka Khan’s “Through the Fire”, which I probably haven’t heard since the 80s—comes on and I thought immediately of this thread.

gawdawful!
                          Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-05-2019, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post
                            Stopped by a friend’s house for dinner and he has some music playing in the background and an Arif Mardin 80s production — Chaka Khan’s “Through the Fire”, which I probably haven’t heard since the 80s—comes on and I thought immediately if this thread.

gawdawful!

It's definitely no "You've Got the Love" or "Ain't Nobody."

Comment

It took me years to figure that riff out exactly! He takes a Police/Eddie Brickell chord and pushes the top two notes up a half step turning it into major triad with the 3rd in the bass. Pretty slick!

Of course you're right though, Eddie was the king.
                              Huh? He played a 1st inversion Maj triad??? With a little sus4 thrown in? Genius!

Seriously, whats so special about DMaj(sus4), BbMaj/D and Cmaj/D?

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

It's definitely no "You've Got the Love" or "Ain't Nobody."
                                True. But the fact is those production styles wouldn’t have worked in the 80s. And I certainly understood the need for updating sounds at the time and I don’t hate the 80s stuff as much as some people here. But that Arif Mardin thing? Wow. Made David Foster sound restrained and subtle.
                                Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-05-2019, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X