No announcement yet.

Great production in the 80's

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great production in the 80's

In another thread Anton said that He hated the production of almost all of the recordings made in the 1980's.
    I want to present my case as one of the greatest production since "Dark Side of the Moon".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_in_Arms_(album)
    My favorite from that album.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpWS1dlm5i8
    Best deals on recording
    Gismo Studios: link
    My original music on ReverbNation: link
    Gismo Studios on ReverbNation: link
    Islam is a much greater threat to the free world than Communism ever was. - Easy Listener

I would go with 'Love Over Gold' instead of 'Brothers in Arms'.
    Guns Over People

I pledge my allegiance to David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoddy View Post
      I would go with 'Love Over Gold' instead of 'Brothers in Arms'.
      Same, and Communique over both.
      Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

Same, and Communique over both.
        Hmmm. I would disagree those albums had better production or mix. But even if you prefer them, you still have to agree the sound of this album is fantastic?

Not one of my favorite albums — and a couple of tracks are waaaay overplayed—but it is one I return to just because sounds so damn good.
        Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-05-2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gismo recording View Post
          In another thread Anton said that He hated the production of almost all of the recordings made in the 1980's.
          I want to present my case as one of the greatest production since "Dark Side of the Moon".
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_in_Arms_(album)
          My favorite from that album.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpWS1dlm5i8
          The best thing I can say about it is that it isn't nearly as bad as some other 80s productions. Its still too bright and too wet, imho.

Here are some 80s productions that I do like. They have several common threads though, they're all early 80s, and have either Compass Point Studios, Eno and/or Rhett Davies in common.

Remain In Light
          Gabriel IV
          My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts
          Avalon

And then there were:

PE - It Takes A Nation Of Millions
          Eric B & Rakim: Paid In Full
          Boogie Down Productions: Criminal Minded.

They also had a common thread - nothing in music had ever sounded like these records before.

edit: forgot Back in Black, which came out in 1980 and sounded awesome.
          Last edited by Red Ant; 05-05-2019, 04:37 PM.
          Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Chuck Ainlay did an amazing surround remix of this album in 2005. De-80s-ed the mix just a bit as well This is one of the “demo” discs I use when I have friends over and want to impress them with why I think surround mixes can be so superior to 2-channel stereo.

If you have the setup/and or the opportunity, you should check it out.

Comment

I vote for those few seconds on Graceland, yeknow, on “Call Me Al,” the bass fill that immediately plays back backwards.
              For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
              https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
              www.steelphantoms.com/
              PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

I also really like Lyle Lovett’s “Joshua Judges Ruth” for great sounding 80s

Comment

Making Movies is my favorite Dire Straits album, sound wise and song wise.

Never liked Brothers in Arms; can't stand Money for Nothing or Walk of Life.
                  To me, it's the album where Knopfler abandoned his classic guitar sound and his tone became ordinary.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
                  For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
                  Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays’ “As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls” never fails to give me goosebumps.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post
                      Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays’ “As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls” never fails to give me goosebumps.
                      That really is a good one.

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Generally, I liked the "cleanness" but I hated the drum sounds.
                        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post
                          Making Movies is my favorite Dire Straits album, sound wise and song wise.

Never liked Brothers in Arms; can't stand Money for Nothing or Walk of Life.
                          To me, it's the album where Knopfler abandoned his classic guitar sound and his tone became ordinary.
                          I'm less bothered by the ordinariness of the tone than the ordinariness of the songwriting.

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by erok123 View Post
                            Generally, I liked the "cleanness" but I hated the drum sounds.
                            Drum sounds, synth sounds, all the air sucked out of recording and replaced with "digital air" in a very obvious, unsubtle way... I hate all of it.

Fortunately by the 90s we all learned to use the new technology for good and not evil

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

I still think Thriller is a great sounding album; great sounds, fat bass, good grooves, excellent songwriting, great guest artists (Van Halen, Paul McCartney, Vincent Price, Steve Lukather, Jeff Porcaro, Steve Porcaro, Greg Phillinganes, etc).
                              __________________________________________________
                              Politics are like sports, where both teams suck

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
                              For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
                              Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Working...
                              X