"Shallow" by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper is a crap song.

DarkKey

• Members

They perform it well together; but the lyrics are lazy and crap. It starts off strong but then gets to that terrible chorus of "in the shallow" repeated a tonne of times and ohs and woahs. I can't stand listening to it and think people only think it's an amazing song because they've been so starved of any genuine music in the popular sphere. t's starts off kind of interesting, but then it's just "in this shallow, shaaaaahhhaaaallooow, shaaaaaahhhaaallooww, world. Woaaaaaaaaaaaah woaaaaaaaahh wooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah." That's not lyrics. That's bad songwriting. Now fight me, please? FIGHT MEEEE! Let's go for a debate!

• CMS Author

Hey, it's a movie. What do you expect? That movie was on the free offerings on my last cross country flight, so I tried to watch it and got bored after about 20 minutes. I didn't really blame the film or the music, just that watching it on my pocket phone screen just didn't work. I don't understand why so many people find that (watching a movie or TV show on a phone) to be entertaining.

• Members

"Crap Song" is a strong statement. I agree that there may have been some opportunity to insert some more meaningful lyrics, but hey, some of the biggest hits ever had goofy choices of lyrics.

I actually like the song (melodically speaking), and I do think the message in it is good. But hey, I prefer the old Streisand version of the movie myself, so what do I know.

D

• Members
They perform it well together; but the lyrics are lazy and crap. It starts off strong but then gets to that terrible chorus of "in the shallow" repeated a tonne of times and ohs and woahs. I can't stand listening to it and think people only think it's an amazing song because they've been so starved of any genuine music in the popular sphere. t's starts off kind of interesting, but then it's just "in this shallow, shaaaaahhhaaaallooow, shaaaaaahhhaaallooww, world. Woaaaaaaaaaaaah woaaaaaaaahh wooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah." That's not lyrics. That's bad songwriting. Now fight me, please? FIGHT MEEEE! Let's go for a debate!

I'm a fan of Gaga's fine voice and her abilities -- though a lot of her contemporary pop efforts go right by me -- AND a fan of the stage/movie musical form.

So I was definitely interested when I heard about this movie. And then I heard some of the music...

Bleh. Banal, tepid, boring, hackneyed.

It is, of course, only my opinion. But I'll bet I've seen more musicals on stage and movie than anyone else in this thread.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
It may be a long time before I hear it' date=' if ever.[/quote']

So this statement has now come back to haunt me. It was on the boats playlist while we were staying with our friends on the lake this weekend and the wife thought it would be a great song for us to do in our duo.

Archived