Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

This place is comotose, except for the weekend spammers.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke17 View Post

So, this is your first post? .seems like you might be one of the Spammers
    im familiar with ikthus... no spammer there.
    Originally posted by isaac42;n32240445

Voltan is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke17 View Post

Ooops, now don’t I feel like the azzhole..thanks Phil and Mea Culpa, Ikthus.
      luke 17, im familiar with you as well and you are no azzhole... at least never been to me, bruddah...

Voltan is correct.

Comment

notes... thank you for that perspective, this subject was brought to the table in solo/duo... your response there was not so detailed or else i missed it... this bears more consideration, thank you!

Voltan is correct.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, Voltan.
          Bob "Notes" Norton
          Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
          Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
          The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Originally posted by Notes_Norton View Post
            Thanks for the kind words, Voltan.
            you make a valid point thats diffcult to ignore... straight.

Voltan is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Notes_Norton View Post
              Do what you want sventvkg, I won't criticize or judge you.

But facebook's values are very contrary to my own personal values, and therefore I cannot in clear conscience allow myself to contribute to their profits.

I'm a political moderate, and have voted both sides of the aisle along with some 'third party' candidates. But as a patriot, I just cannot justify facebook using their members click habits to feed them fraudulent information disguised as news to throw a US election. IMO our very democracy is at stake with that, and our very democracy is very damaged already.

I have family member on FB, musician friends on FB, non-musician friends on FB and so on. That is their business, not mine, and I know I'm missing some contact with them, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for our country.

There are other companies that won't get my dollars either, but I won't go into that here, as they are not a subject of this thread. I shop with my conscience. It's possible a few of my decisions may be wrong due to me being ill-informed, but they are all made with the best intentions.

Insights and incites by Notes
              Valid points. FB is evil and sucks. I hate it..but if you want to interact that’s where most people are. Well adults anyway....

Comment

Originally posted by sventvkg View Post
                No shizz. I suggested that we take it to Facebook where everyone else has been for years several years ago but was met with indignation.
                I think I was one of the indignant ones. Facebook is a PITA when it comes to having a forum-like discussion. IMO it's people's short attention span and mobile devices that are killing social networking, including Facebook. I'm smart enough not to use my iPhone for surfing the web. I don't even have it enabled. I still like big screens. But it doesn't matter because most people have jumped to mobile for everything. The quality of the web experience has diminished for everyone.

I have a theory that people are not pissed off all the time because of politics. They're angry all the time because they're trying to look at the world through a keyhole... tiny little screens. I'm self-aware that those devices annoy me for anything other than texting and talking.

Facebook is even old news. Both my sons are in their 20s. My youngest son doesn't even use Facebook anymore. He says it's for "old people" My older son has a Facebook account, but is hardly ever on it.
                <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels... nothing among the utterances allowed to man is felt to be so divine."

~Thomas Carlyle

Comment

I began with CB radio, I moved on to running a BBS. And when the internet came along on, I jumped in feet first. I created and ran an early MMORPG, and lived with help, running my forums.

One thing I did learn, you make forums require admin approvals for accounts and no guest posting. I was on Facebook when it began. I’ve been Facebook free for over a year now, and DO NOT miss it .

The world is worse off, and better off, for our expansion of community. Sadly the majority of the noise of the internet is bad noise. I’m glad for the odd oasis. Even if I’m no longer a prolific interfacer .

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by sventvkg View Post

Valid points. FB is evil and sucks. I hate it..but if you want to interact that’s where most people are. Well adults anyway....
                    I'd rather not interact in a medium that is in opposition to my personal values. The price of freedom is high, and to me avoiding FB is part of the price.

Of course, that's just me.

Insights and incites by Notes
                    Last edited by Notes_Norton; 05-06-2019, 06:49 PM.
                    Bob "Notes" Norton

Comment

Well, it is unfortunate but I think forums overall are dying. This place is a ghost town. I hardly visit and even now I wonder how many will actually read these comments. It seems like FB is becoming more popular for commentary but its nowhere near the depth of a true forum. Something about visiting a forum on a desktop seems archaic when 20 years ago it was very exciting and new.

Not sure what the answer is but I think people want convenience now and they want it on a phone app. What are the chances of getting HC on a phone app?

Comment

Yes, the only forums that I visit that still hve a lot of action are the Band-in-a-Box and Sax-On-The Web forums. I'm not sure why they remain constant while most of the others fade..

The problem with moving a site like this to a social media site like Facebook, Twitter or any of the others is that they are exclusive. Not everybody wants to belong to every social media group and many like myself refuse to do FaceBook. On the other hand, a forum on the web is open to anybody with a web connection.

I guess the times they are a changin' again.

Notes
                        Bob "Notes" Norton

Comment

Originally posted by Beck View Post

I think I was one of the indignant ones. Facebook is a PITA when it comes to having a forum-like discussion. IMO it's people's short attention span and mobile devices that are killing social networking, including Facebook.
                          FB is a fast and now lookie at me kind of thing. There's a popular group there called "Cover Band Central" I suddenly found myself a member of one day. 1000's of people with a lot of comments and questions often similar to ones I've seen in forums here. It's a lot different though in that there's no way I'm going to scroll through 300 replies to a topic on anything at FB!

Facebook has become sort of like a car crash to me, I don't really like most of what's going on there but yet I can't turn away from it. It's actually somewhat necessary for Brenda and my duo gig as we promote there, most people who will show up are there and so are the venues that book us. I can still enjoy posts from family and friends although the overall theme on FB is becoming more and more of a political war zone! Russian hackers can't hold a candle to some of the people I know and I'm trying harder not to take all the bait. I'm thankful for the relatively new "snooze" feature, there's always "unfollow" for more serious offenders and then if it comes to it, I'll "unfriend" like I recently did to a person I knew from here hahaha!
                          Last edited by ggm1960; 05-15-2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't use Facebook if they paid me. I despise Zuckerberg.

Comment

First of all, multiple apologies for not being around (if it indeed matters!). The main issue is I'm not an HC employee and I've moved on to other clients. I still do pro bono Harmony Central work on content for the newsletter, because I want to support the remaining three people, but time doesn't allow for more.

Forums with a primarily social function are falling by the wayside. However, f
                              orums that involve peer-to-peer support are still very active. Cakewalk rebooted its forums from scratch recently, and it already has over 30,000 posts. Forums that deal with education also remain popular.

Compared to Facebook, forums are the perfect medium to contain a knowledgebase. If I was tasked with growing these forums, the first thing I would do is make it all about people helping other people troubleshoot gear, make buying decisions, and so on. I'd also re-boot the Pro Reviews.

Another problem is forums have be fast and efficient. These forums have been plagued with a variety of technical issues over the years, and except when they were owned by Musician's Friend, there were never the resources to fix things. People just don't have the patience for page load times and such. Furthermore, it's an "instant" world. It doesn't matter if a problem gets fixed in a week, people peel off after three days.

As to what will happen to SSS, I don't know. It's been around since 1995 but it needs to have active involvement and direction if it's going to grow. I just can't afford the time and the remaining HCers have their hands full. I'd love the opportunity to move this in a new direction, but at present, that looks unlikely. Then again...who knows what the future will bring?
                              The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Comment

You have been missed Maestro, to be sure. But I understand why.
                                I know Phil works his butt off here, but he has a lot of ground to cover.

Forums are still my favorite Internet haunt. I was on FB for a while, just to connect with some old cousins....But their enthusiasm for contact (All Females), was far more than mine. Now....I follow one niece and that is it. I may post something once a month. FB is just too noisy, and now apparently, far more intrusive than it should be.

HC may have to fail. There just isn't the level of participation there was, and i can't see it returning.

Comment

Working...
                                X