This place is comotose, except for the weekend spammers.

Thanks Notes. :0

I've been trying to get up at ~0400 - 0500 to kill them off; I figure that way, the folks on the east coast won't see a bunch of it after ~0700 - 0800 their time. People on EDT who get up and look at the forums earlier than that will see 40 or 60 spam posts that have come in on a typical night.

This morning I waited until around 0730 to start in on the spam, and we had ~80 spam posts that had come in. :mad2:

Sorry you had to see that. :(

But it's just something that goes along with having forums. No matter what methods the IT pros come up with to try to stop it, spammers always seem to find a way around them, leaving spam deletion to the site's moderators... and making it an ongoing, 24/7/365 task.

• Members

If you employed someone from the UK or Europe as a mod, then you Americans would be blissfully unaware of any 'night-time' spam as the Brit/Euro-mod would have deleted it before you'd awakened from your beauty sleep :idea:

• Members
<...>

Sorry you had to see that. :(

<...>

No need to apologize Phil. I appreciate the hard work you do getting rid of them. They are easy to ignore, it just struck me odd that there were so many more spams than posts -- but then sometimes my e-mail in-box has the same problem.

Notes

• Members
If you employed someone from the UK or Europe as a mod' date=' then you Americans would be blissfully unaware of any 'night-time' spam as the Brit/Euro-mod would have deleted it before you'd awakened from your beauty sleep :idea:[/quote']

So, this is your first post? .seems like you might be one of the Spammers

So, this is your first post? .seems like you might be one of the Spammers

Looks like that member has been with us since October of 2018, and that was their 30th post, not their first... and he/she does make a good point - if we had moderators around the globe, the "gotta go to sleep at some point" thing would largely become a non-issue...

• Members

Looks like that member has been with us since October of 2018, and that was their 30th post, not their first... and he/she does make a good point - if we had moderators around the globe, the "gotta go to sleep at some point" thing would largely become a non-issue...

Ooops, now don’t I feel like the azzhole..thanks Phil and Mea Culpa, Ikthus.

• Members

I don't do facebook.

Facebook is exclusive, where the forum on the web is inclusive.

Plus Facebook is run by a bunch of criminals who sent out fraudulent news (let's not minimize fraud by calling it fake news) to people -- depending on their like/dislike and clicking history to intentionally rig a US presidential election. I don't care if they rigged it for the candidate I voted for or the other candidate, it's un-American, it's fraud, and it borders on treason. It is a blatant attack on our Democracy.

These are not my personal values, and therefore I cannot support them.

When things move to FB, they lose me. I can not and will not let the treasonous fraudsters make one penny by selling my personal information. IMO that would be aiding and abetting criminal behavior.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members
I don't do facebook.

Facebook is exclusive, where the forum on the web is inclusive.

Plus Facebook is run by a bunch of criminals who sent out fraudulent news (let's not minimize fraud by calling it fake news) to people -- depending on their like/dislike and clicking history to intentionally rig a US presidential election. I don't care if they rigged it for the candidate I voted for or the other candidate, it's un-American, it's fraud, and it borders on treason. It is a blatant attack on our Democracy.

These are not my personal values, and therefore I cannot support them.

When things move to FB, they lose me. I can not and will not let the treasonous fraudsters make one penny by selling my personal information. IMO that would be aiding and abetting criminal behavior.

Lolol!!! Cool so all the old loots will stay here and 99% of everyone else and ANYONE young or new will be gone...ok buddy:)

• Members
  • Members

Do what you want sventvkg, I won't criticize or judge you.

But facebook's values are very contrary to my own personal values, and therefore I cannot in clear conscience allow myself to contribute to their profits.

I'm a political moderate, and have voted both sides of the aisle along with some 'third party' candidates. But as a patriot, I just cannot justify facebook using their members click habits to feed them fraudulent information disguised as news to throw a US election. IMO our very democracy is at stake with that, and our very democracy is very damaged already.

I have family member on FB, musician friends on FB, non-musician friends on FB and so on. That is their business, not mine, and I know I'm missing some contact with them, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for our country.

There are other companies that won't get my dollars either, but I won't go into that here, as they are not a subject of this thread. I shop with my conscience. It's possible a few of my decisions may be wrong due to me being ill-informed, but they are all made with the best intentions.

• Members
Do what you want sventvkg, I won't criticize or judge you.

But facebook's values are very contrary to my own personal values, and therefore I cannot in clear conscience allow myself to contribute to their profits.

I'm a political moderate, and have voted both sides of the aisle along with some 'third party' candidates. But as a patriot, I just cannot justify facebook using their members click habits to feed them fraudulent information disguised as news to throw a US election. IMO our very democracy is at stake with that, and our very democracy is very damaged already.

I have family member on FB, musician friends on FB, non-musician friends on FB and so on. That is their business, not mine, and I know I'm missing some contact with them, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for our country.

There are other companies that won't get my dollars either, but I won't go into that here, as they are not a subject of this thread. I shop with my conscience. It's possible a few of my decisions may be wrong due to me being ill-informed, but they are all made with the best intentions.

Valid points. FB is evil and sucks. I hate it..but if you want to interact that’s where most people are. Well adults anyway....

• Members
No shizz. I suggested that we take it to Facebook where everyone else has been for years several years ago but was met with indignation.

I think I was one of the indignant ones. Facebook is a PITA when it comes to having a forum-like discussion. IMO it's people's short attention span and mobile devices that are killing social networking, including Facebook. I'm smart enough not to use my iPhone for surfing the web. I don't even have it enabled. I still like big screens. But it doesn't matter because most people have jumped to mobile for everything. The quality of the web experience has diminished for everyone.

I have a theory that people are not pissed off all the time because of politics. They're angry all the time because they're trying to look at the world through a keyhole... tiny little screens. I'm self-aware that those devices annoy me for anything other than texting and talking.

Facebook is even old news. Both my sons are in their 20s. My youngest son doesn't even use Facebook anymore. He says it's for "old people" :D My older son has a Facebook account, but is hardly ever on it.

• Members

I began with CB radio, I moved on to running a BBS. And when the internet came along on, I jumped in feet first. I created and ran an early MMORPG, and lived with help, running my forums.

One thing I did learn, you make forums require admin approvals for accounts and no guest posting. I was on Facebook when it began. I’ve been Facebook free for over a year now, and DO NOT miss it :).

The world is worse off, and better off, for our expansion of community. Sadly the majority of the noise of the internet is bad noise. I’m glad for the odd oasis. Even if I’m no longer a prolific interfacer :).

Tony

• Members

Valid points. FB is evil and sucks. I hate it..but if you want to interact that’s where most people are. Well adults anyway....

I'd rather not interact in a medium that is in opposition to my personal values. The price of freedom is high, and to me avoiding FB is part of the price.

Of course, that's just me.

• Members

Well, it is unfortunate but I think forums overall are dying. This place is a ghost town. I hardly visit and even now I wonder how many will actually read these comments. It seems like FB is becoming more popular for commentary but its nowhere near the depth of a true forum. Something about visiting a forum on a desktop seems archaic when 20 years ago it was very exciting and new.

Not sure what the answer is but I think people want convenience now and they want it on a phone app. What are the chances of getting HC on a phone app?

Archived