RIP Sennheiser MD 421

• Members

The Sennheiser MD-421 that I purchased in 1985 died :(

It's been a faithful friend doing one nighters with me while I make a living doing music and nothing but music (Livin' the dream). the case was cracked (just a hairline crack) the screen was loose (took a few mustache hairs every now and then) and one day it just quit working. I checked the cable (it's always the cable) but the spare Shure worked on it, I twisted the roll off filter with no effect, and I slapped it -- it came to life. But not for long. It was a good old trusted friend, it made my sax sound like a sax, my flute like a flute, and my voice as good as my standard equipment can sound. I called Sennheiser but the original 421 has been discontinued for so long they no longer rebuild them.

Given it's almost 35 years of faithful service, it cost me less than $9 per year. A small price to pay to bring in gig money so that I could pay the mortgage and buy more gear (toys) to use on stage. Thanks old buddy. It's off to recycling, I hope you enjoy your new lives as other products.

So what did I do? I bought a Sennheiser MD-421 II. It's a little shorter, the cable fits in 'upside down', the grille is black and no longer pulls out mustache hairs, and sounds every bit as good as my old friend. Hopefully this will give me another 35 years of service, or until I reach the coda (whichever comes first).

Everything has it's 'best by' or 'expiration' date.

Notes

• CMS Author

Most people don't like the MkII very much, but if you're happy with it, that's what counts.

It could be as simple as a broken wire at the XLR connector or the switch, though that mic is difficult to take apart. If you cared, you could find someone to work on it, or you could probably sell it for $50 to someone who wants one and would take the (good) risk that it's repairable. Your brief description sounds like it's probably a wiring problem rather than a dead capsule element.

• Members
Most people don't like the MkII very much, but if you're happy with it, that's what counts.

It could be as simple as a broken wire at the XLR connector or the switch, though that mic is difficult to take apart. If you cared, you could find someone to work on it, or you could probably sell it for $50 to someone who wants one and would take the (good) risk that it's repairable. Your brief description sounds like it's probably a wiring problem rather than a dead capsule element.

I started to take it apart by it was all rusted inside, the wind screen disintegrated, case cracked even more, and decided to put it to sleep.

The MkII is different, a bit shorter, more plastic, but the frequency response graph for this mic is actually a little smoother in the mids than the old one. It sounds good on my voice, and my sax sounds like a sax instead of some weird sax/clarinet hybrid (like the SM58s do). I'm happy with it, and if it lasts another 35 years, and I'm still alive, we will both be very, very happy :D

Notes

• 3 weeks later...
  • CMS Author

Ha! I had to laugh at that. I shaved off my mustache years ago -- when just one side of it started turning gray -- but I still remember that feeling!

I used to work with a stage hand who called that mic "the electric shaver" - not because it pulled out beard hairs (I used it primarily on instruments that have no beards), but because it looks sort of like an old electric shaver.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived