WTF - Vinyl Record Section in Target!!

Anderton

• Members

At our Target here they have had a vinyl section for at least 6-months. At Christmas time they reduced the video selection greatly, CD selection really didn't change. At one time Target was looking at getting rid of CDs altogether.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8097929/best-buy-to-pull-cds-target-threatens-to-pay-labels-for-cds-only-when

• Members

It was a sight for sore eyes when I saw the record bins at Barnes and Noble a couple of years ago. The cover of Houses Of The Holy caught my eye right away. And I was reminded of a really cool record store I frequented in Sioux City, IA. They took an old stock yards building and turned it into a mall of shops. The record store was easily the coolest of them all as far as a 14 -15 year old was concerned. They sold incense and paraphernalia too, and the guy behind the counter looked a lot like Robert Plant.

• CMS Author
I really don't get this vinyl resurgence.

Its a millennial thing - the kids with the money who want to be cool. The jazz and classical music folks have their re-mastered heavy duty vinyl pressings that, in reality, probably do sound better than currently available CDs of that music, when played on a high grade system. There's money to be made by making those vinyl re-issues, but not enough money in CDs to bother with. And I don't think that classical or jazz fans play streamed music other than for convenience. They like to sit in their easy chair and listen to their $25,000 speakers or $4,000 headphones, and know that's overkill for even a high resolution stream.

Archived