Bands/artists you got into later in life

LindaPeterson

• Members

I'm not a young man. I was born in the 60s. I'd heard of The Moody Blues (obviously) but had never really delved any deeper than the obligatory Nights in White Satin, Question etc.

Recently, however, I've been buying their albums. In chronological order. And I'm very impressed. I wish I'd done this decades ago.

• Members

Well, I got into the Moody Blues during the so called ‘’British Invasion’ when I was about 13 yrs. old.

They were basically a British Blues band copying American Blues artists with their own twist.

Love what they did with this Sonny Boy Williamson tune...

• Members
This is a copy and paste of a thread I started a while ago. I don't know who this LindaPeterson person is but I suspect he/she is a troll or a bot of some description. Sure as hell isn't one of my alts! Check the IP address' date=' mods. It ain't me[/quote']

...so now we add a dash of Paranoia?

• Members

I didn't get into Robert Johnson until the late 90's....Despite numerous references to him by some of my heroes.

About 3 tracks into the retrospective I finally understood what Clapton meant when he said he couldn't listen to RJ all at once...That it was just too intense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just getting into Argent 50 years late. They are a bit variable but checkin out my old "Rock Buster" IMO the best sampler album ever.

and there it was. complete with great piano section at 1:40

[video=youtube_share;2niGy08ITDQ]

Also for the first time discovering Gentle Giant that I somehow missed in my youth.

• Members
Just getting into Argent 50 years late. They are a bit variable but checkin out my old "Rock Buster" IMO the best sampler album ever.

and there it was. complete with great piano section at 1:40

[video=youtube_share;2niGy08ITDQ]

Also for the first time discovering Gentle Giant that I somehow missed in my youth.

I have all the Argent albums on vinyl well up to when Russ Ballard departed.

my favorite is still their first album when Russ sing the song ‘Liar’ which became such a big hit for Three Dog Night.

Another great song on the’In Deep album ’ penned by Russ Ballard was God Gave Rock and Roll to You.

BTW I was happy to hear that ‘The Zombies will be inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

• Members

Russ wrote some great songs...Among the ones you and I mentioned, he also wrote the Santana hit ‘I’m Winning’ and ‘I know there’s Something Going on’ (Frida) in 1982. Written by Russ, produced by Phil Collins who also played drums on that cut.

• Members

Andrews Sisters. No, they aren't my favorite kind of music, and they are before my time on the planet. Some of the songs are extremely corny by today's standards, and others have stood the test of time. But from the corniest to the best the performance amazes me. It's like one singer with multiple voices. Articulation (including the plosive consonants), falls, dynamics, and often even vibrato are exactly together. From a life of playing in ensembles and singing in groups, I know how difficult this extreme level of precision is -- and at the same time they are expressive and fun.

There are others too,

Notes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Going back about 20 years...and um....nobody. :)

I mean, if getting into him/her/them means listening to a previously unknown to me artist, more than a few songs, a few times, for a few days maybe...then I can't bring to mind anyone.

I dunno. Beyond the listening I do when working on my own music perhaps I just am not interested in listening very much anymore. My hearing is alright. What listening to others I do is rather targeted and is usually finished when I've finished scoping out whatever it is to my satisfaction though, I guess. And I never have music playing just to have some music playing. I'm sure I've missed some stuff I'd enjoy, and that's OK. That thought doesn't bother me.

• Members
I'm not a young man. I was born in the 60s. I'd heard of The Moody Blues (obviously) but had never really delved any deeper than the obligatory Nights in White Satin, Question etc.

Recently, however, I've been buying their albums. In chronological order. And I'm very impressed. I wish I'd done this decades ago.

I played their show as a member of the orchestra 3, maybe 4 times. Same exact show each time as I recall - every note, every word.

They'd be singing, "I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band." I'd be playing and saying to myself, " Yeah well, I'm just a violinist behind a plexiglass screen."

• Members
Going back about 20 years...and um....nobody. :)

And I never have music playing just to have some music playing. I'm sure I've missed some stuff I'd enjoy, and that's OK. That thought doesn't bother me.

Me either. My problem is I listen too intently to music.I play music I want to hear and I want to listen to it. And I'd prefer no one talk over it.

I do listen to KPFT at the times of day when they play music, because they always play things I have not heard, even by artists I'm aware of.

I don't think I've been bowled over by any particular music in a long time. Kind of sad really. I like it when I do hear something I've not heard and dig.

It just doesn't happen very often.

• Members

I discovered Joe Walsh late. I knew his hits and thought of him as the drunk guitarist that taught the Eagles how to rock.

But then I discovered his solo material and realized what a great songwriter/singer/arranger/musician he really is.

Glad he's gotten his life in order and hope he's around for a long time.

• Members
I discovered Joe Walsh late. I knew his hits and thought of him as the drunk guitarist that taught the Eagles how to rock.

But then I discovered his solo material and realized what a great songwriter/singer/arranger/musician he really is.

Glad he's gotten his life in order and hope he's around for a long time.

Have you listened to any of his early ‘James Gang’ stuff?

• Members

Good 'ol Joe. I always liked his approach to playin guitar. Depending on how one time signatures it, he pretty much never plays any subdivision smaller/faster than an 8th note. 2 16ths pickups once in a while, and I know the spots. Anyway he's the real slow hand if you ask me. So What was the 4th album that came into my possession about 40 years ago. Great album, and I think it speaks well for Joe that he included a selection by Maurice Ravel. In English, Pavanne For A Dead Infant.

• Members

I think perhaps "James Gang Live In Concert" and the 'Smoker Album" are my personal fav Joe albums. When he gets on the Hammond for "Tend My Garden" ...It's just shattering. "So What" he let his comic side take over, and right at the peak of his powers really. That took chutzpah. He is still a truly good player and a joy to watch perform. He really wants people to be entertained and has no guile about him at all.

• Members
Good 'ol Joe. I always liked his approach to playin guitar. Depending on how one time signatures it' date=' he pretty much never plays any subdivision smaller/faster than an 8th note. 2 16ths pickups once in a while, and I know the spots. Anyway he's the real slow hand if you ask me. [i']So What [/i]was the 4th album that came into my possession about 40 years ago. Great album, and I think it speaks well for Joe that he included a selection by Maurice Ravel. In English, Pavanne For A Dead Infant.

I believe’ Pavanne for a Dead Infant’ was a tribute to his daughter Emma Kristen Walsh who was killed in a car accident just shy of her third birthday,..so sad.,

Apparently it was the catalyst for Joe’s heavy drinking.

• Members
I think perhaps "James Gang Live In Concert" and the 'Smoker Album" are my personal fav Joe albums. When he gets on the Hammond for "Tend My Garden" ...It's just shattering. "So What" he let his comic side take over, and right at the peak of his powers really. That took chutzpah. He is still a truly good player and a joy to watch perform. He really wants people to be entertained and has no guile about him at all.

Joe can also croon some beautiful harmonies, love what he does here backing up Timothy B.Schmit on this great old Poco song ‘Get back to you’ (Ringo’s Allstar Tour 1992)

Joe has on the crazy sport coat and pork pie hat. Other background singers are Burton Cummings, Nils Lofgrin, Todd Rundgren et al.

• Members

Joe can also croon some beautiful harmonies, love what he does here backing up Timothy B.Schmit on this great old Poco song ‘Get back to you’ (Ringo’s Allstar Tour 1992)

Joe has on the crazy sport coat and pork pie hat. Other background singers are Burton Cummings, Nils Lofgrin, Todd Rundgren et al.

Those tours Ringo put together back in the 90's, Man, he had all kinds of talent along for the ride.....I've never heard anyone say one bad thing about the guy.

• Members

Those tours Ringo put together back in the 90's, Man, he had all kinds of talent along for the ride.....I've never heard anyone say one bad thing about the guy.

Yassah! Mucho for love for Sir Richard Starkey.

Dude is lookin’ good for 78 and 1/2 yrs.

Archived