No announcement yet.

Bands/artists you got into later in life

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E-money View Post
    I discovered Joe Walsh late. I knew his hits and thought of him as the drunk guitarist that taught the Eagles how to rock.
    But then I discovered his solo material and realized what a great songwriter/singer/arranger/musician he really is.
    Glad he's gotten his life in order and hope he's around for a long time.
    Have you listened to any of his early ‘James Gang’ stuff?

Comment

Good 'ol Joe. I always liked his approach to playin guitar. Depending on how one time signatures it, he pretty much never plays any subdivision smaller/faster than an 8th note. 2 16ths pickups once in a while, and I know the spots. Anyway he's the real slow hand if you ask me. So What was the 4th album that came into my possession about 40 years ago. Great album, and I think it speaks well for Joe that he included a selection by Maurice Ravel. In English, Pavanne For A Dead Infant.

Last edited by RockViolin; 01-01-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I think perhaps "James Gang Live In Concert" and the 'Smoker Album" are my personal fav Joe albums. When he gets on the Hammond for "Tend My Garden" ...It's just shattering. "So What" he let his comic side take over, and right at the peak of his powers really. That took chutzpah. He is still a truly good player and a joy to watch perform. He really wants people to be entertained and has no guile about him at all.

Comment

Originally posted by RockViolin View Post
          Good 'ol Joe. I always liked his approach to playin guitar. Depending on how one time signatures it, he pretty much never plays any subdivision smaller/faster than an 8th note. 2 16ths pickups once in a while, and I know the spots. Anyway he's the real slow hand if you ask me. So What was the 4th album that came into my possession about 40 years ago. Great album, and I think it speaks well for Joe that he included a selection by Maurice Ravel. In English, Pavanne For A Dead Infant.
          I believe’ Pavanne for a Dead Infant’ was a tribute to his daughter Emma Kristen Walsh who was killed in a car accident just shy of her third birthday,..so sad.,
          Apparently it was the catalyst for Joe’s heavy drinking.
          Last edited by Luke17; 01-02-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post
            I think perhaps "James Gang Live In Concert" and the 'Smoker Album" are my personal fav Joe albums. When he gets on the Hammond for "Tend My Garden" ...It's just shattering. "So What" he let his comic side take over, and right at the peak of his powers really. That took chutzpah. He is still a truly good player and a joy to watch perform. He really wants people to be entertained and has no guile about him at all.
            Joe can also croon some beautiful harmonies, love what he does here backing up Timothy B.Schmit on this great old Poco song ‘Get back to you’ (Ringo’s Allstar Tour 1992)

Joe has on the crazy sport coat and pork pie hat. Other background singers are Burton Cummings, Nils Lofgrin, Todd Rundgren et al.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEue0o7TjJE
            Last edited by Luke17; 01-02-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke17 View Post

Joe can also croon some beautiful harmonies, love what he does here backing up Timothy B.Schmit on this great old Poco song ‘Get back to you’ (Ringo’s Allstar Tour 1992)

Joe has on the crazy sport coat and pork pie hat. Other background singers are Burton Cummings, Nils Lofgrin, Todd Rundgren et al.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEue0o7TjJE
              Those tours Ringo put together back in the 90's, Man, he had all kinds of talent along for the ride.....I've never heard anyone say one bad thing about the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post

Those tours Ringo put together back in the 90's, Man, he had all kinds of talent along for the ride.....I've never heard anyone say one bad thing about the guy.
                Yassah! Mucho for love for Sir Richard Starkey.

Dude is lookin’ good for 78 and 1/2 yrs.

Comment

Yassah! Mucho for love for Sir Richard Starkey.

Dude is lookin’ good for 78 and 1/2 yrs.
                  He was the perfect drummer for The Beatles. His drumming always served the songs. Didn't have a hard on for solos or stepping out. Only put his flourishes in where they were needed...And from what I've been able to tell...Kept perfect time. I mean, I love drummers like Moonie and Peart. The raw energy and abject terror that Moonie played with. The top drawer and melodic talents of Peart.....But Ringo figured out early on what his job was in that band, just like Charlie Watts did. Keep the beat, move the songs along, keep a floor under the other guys.

Comment

I am going to heartily and unequivocally agree with your observation(s) regarding Ringo, Peart, Moonie and ‘Cholly’.

One reason I won’t disagree with you, (to bring bring dear Joe Walsh back into the mix) is in his Immortal words and live solo album; ‘You Can’t Argue with a Sick Mind’ ✌🏻😎
                    Last edited by Luke17; 01-04-2019, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Have you listened to any of his early ‘James Gang’ stuff?
                      Only a little.
                      Looks like Walsh is only on the first 3 albums; I'll have to check them out.

Is any of the post-Walsh James Gang any good?

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
                      For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
                      Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post

Only a little.
                        Looks like Walsh is only on the first 3 albums; I'll have to check them out.

Is any of the post-Walsh James Gang any good?
                        I only listened/owned the Records featuring Joe Walsh.
                        His chunky rhythmic guitar strum was a big influence on my own playing.

BTW...Go Eagles this Sunday!
                        hoping for a big WIN @ Soldier Field this Sunday.👍👍👍👍
                        Last edited by Luke17; 01-04-2019, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X