Bohemian Rhapsody - Who's seen it and how was it?

• Members

I haven't seen it. Buzz is the lead actor is incredible, the music scenes are great (including the entire Live Aid concert at the end), and the script was...shall we say, lacking.

Apparently "Brian May" really channeled the guitar. Note that Queen had creative control, which I'm sure helped.

• Moderators

I've only seen the trailers so far. It's kind of weird seeing rami malek as Freddy, but that's just because I've seen all the seasons of Mr Robot where he was an schizophrenic hoody wearing hacker. He does look quite a bit like Freddy Mercury.

Terry D.

• Members

I saw it and loved it. And this was after going into it with low expectations as I generally don’t like musical bio-pics—especially of artists I know really well and love. Also I had read mixed reviews and I thought the trailer was disappointing. But the wife wanted to see it so we went.

It certainly has some cliche moments and some spots with corny dialogue and such, but the performances are all very good. It follows the standard movie biopic formula. No new ground is broken here. But the band actually looks like they know how to play instruments, and the story is fast-paced and compelling. It ends with a 25 minute note-for-note reinactment of the Live Aid concert that is completely spot on.

Malik does a great job as Freddie Mercury. Maybe an Oscar nomination here?

There are a few details that might annoy hardcore fans—songs written/performed in the wrong year and such—but but these are all pretty minor.

My 13 year old nephew loved it. His only disppointment was that they didn’t play enough of his favorite Queen song— Under Pressure. Who knew he even knew that song?

if this introduces a great band to a new generation of fans, then that’s a very good thing. :thu:

I've only seen the trailers so far. It's kind of weird seeing rami malek as Freddy, but that's just because I've seen all the seasons of Mr Robot where he was an schizophrenic hoody wearing hacker. He does look quite a bit like Freddy Mercury.

Terry D.

He's really a good actor IMO, so I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

• Members

He's really a good actor IMO, so I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

He does a great job. I didn’t get TOTALLY lost in his character as he has those intense eyes and you can’t stop focusing on those TEETH, but he acts the part very very well.

Kudos also to the guy who plays Brian May. Good actor and he nails the mannerisms on stage.

They sort of relegate the John Deacon character to comic relief as the hapless “other guy” in the band. I guess that’s a risk when you leave the band and the other two serve as executive producers.

The character of Mary, Freddie’s long-suffering girlfriend/fiancé/muse is the heart and soul of the movie and the girl who plays her does a fantastic job.

Mike Myers appears as a composite of their first manager and a label guy who doesn’t believe that Bohemian Rhapsody should be a single and he’s seems to have been cast simply to toss out a Wayne’s World reference, but that alone makes his casting worth it.

I have been amazed at the response this movie is getting. My first thought was this would be a flop as who cares about a 40 year old rock band? But it’s been doing really really well.

I went to see it on Saturday and the showing was sold out. I had to buy tickets for later in the day. And the packed theater were all laughing and crying and stomping their feet and singing along. Even if you don’t like Queen, I think it would be hard to not like this movie.

• Members

Yesterday we had torrential downpours, after voting A few klicks from my home, I came out to find the roads flooded due to the rains and the storm drains blocked by fallen autumn leaves.

Took me quite awhile to negotiate my way home in my little low to the road BMW Z-4 Roadster.

our ‘grown up’ car the Jeep Cherokee was in use by mi esposa driving her elderly father to a Drs. appointment.

In a prior post I promised a review yesterday...mea culpa to y’all who were waiting with bated breath for my synopsis hahaha.

OK, I went today.. just got back from seeing the movie in IMAX and I personally thought it was superb..

I was impressed with the exceptional emphasis of detail in the period gear, mics, guitars, drums, recording equipment. The clothing, the hairstyles. ( mullets abounded) lol.

I don’t think they could have put together a more convincing cast...Brian, Deacon, Roger, and dear Freddie were so perfectly depicted..

The Live Aid recreation scene was so believable, even the guy playing Bob Geldof was a excellent match.

The music was waaay beyond my expectations.

Rami Malek portraying Freddie had his moves down to perfection...he absolutely channeled Freddie,

I have to see this movie again, not on television, but once more, on the ‘Silver Screen’

Supporting cast was excellent..Mike Myers was so believable as a guy that refused to release ‘Bohemian Rhapsody as a single...but ended up crying in his beer.

l saw Queen in 1975 ( Sheer Heart Attack tour) at the Trenton War Memorial..supporting acts were Kansas and Mahogany Rush...(I remember Concert Security removing our ‘Wine Bladders’ and ‘Spliffs’ from us, and thinking ’Dayum, is this the future of Concerts...can’t even Bring wine and joints to a rock event anymore!?’

I remember Freddie coming out in a Harlequin style black and white body suit, and holding a mic with 1/2 the stand attached..

I was wondering how he came up with that 1/2 stand concept?

it’s demonstrated in one of the first scenes in the movie, he was debuting as lead vocalist with a band called Smile..he tried to raise the mic stand, it stuck, and he ended up rather clumsily separatiing the two parts of the stand and continued to sing ‘Keep Yourself Alive’ with the top half of the stand attached to the mic.

One thing I learned about Queen recently was that John Deacon came up with that infectious bass line for ‘Another one Bites the Dust’ and in the movie it shows Brian and Rogers less than enthusiastic approval of the line as being ‘Disco’

From what I recently read ( this is open to conjecture) was that John Deacon was influenced by R&B and came up with that line with that particular genre in mind.

When it was decided that they would record it, Deacon was not happy with Brian’s chord phrasing and decided that HE wanted to do the guitar parts himself, apparently he did, and that created animosity between Brian and Deacon for months afterwards.

But, I digress, Freddie, ‘Deaks’, Brian and Roger have always been a favorite band of mine.

If you are a Queen fan, either a casual or rabid one, this is worth watching.

• Members

It would seem the general consensus is that this is a good movie. I know one thing about Luke17...He don't throw compliments around unless they are earned so it must be a pretty slammin' flick.

That's a good thing. My wife has been hounding me since the trailers broke to go see it, so I'll be squiring her this weekend.

I guess if I wanted to impress I'd say I was a Queen fan. I wasn't, perse. I absolutely noticed them, and after a few years came to appreciate the precision involved in their music...At least the stuff I heard. I read about how "Bohemian" was recorded and kinda had aw sh#t moment. Then I got interested in their creative process and realized what a talented bunch of guys they were. Then got into Brian May...Well specifically...His guitar. The fact that he still plays it...That it's still his main...

Plus what's not to love about a guy that stacks up AC30's?

My wife on the other hand, falls into the "Rabid" camp....And has always thought of me as a Philistine because I'm not.

S'ok.....David was the Man, but it's Goliath the Jewish girls got in a lather about.

• Members

Plus what's not to love about a guy that stacks up AC30's?

My wife on the other hand, falls into the "Rabid" camp....And has always thought of me as a Philistine because I'm not.

S'ok.....David was the Man, but it's Goliath the Jewish girls got in a lather about.

OMG AJ...last two lines of your post have me pissing in my pantalones here podnah!👍

And those AC30s stacked up on stage did put a baguette 🥖 in my crotch area...so sweet looking!

Hope you do take your wife to see the movie, she will love the movie and you even more..

Miré mi, amigo, you will prolly see sooo many technical aspects that I failed to notice.

looking forward to reading your post if you go have a look- see.

• Members

They sort of relegate the John Deacon character to comic relief as the hapless “other guy” in the band. I guess that’s a risk when you leave the band and the other two serve as executive producers

you nailed it Guido, that hapless ‘other guy’ wrote the second biggest selling Queen song ‘another one Bites the Dust’ and his ‘ You’re my best friend’ Written for his lovely wife, was no slouch in the sales dept. either.

BTW..Even though Deacon disassociated himself from the Queen playing name, he is still almost exclusively responsible for maintaining the Queen Enterprises Finances.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

...and I saw it. Excellent movie, well worth seeing. Interestingly, I never really "got" Queen, but now the music makes sense after seeing the movie. Assuming the characterizations are correct - and I have no reason to believe otherwise - the concept of these misfits getting together, bonding as a family, and doing whatever they wanted to do is pretty cool. The music used to sound overproduced and pretentious to me. Now it sounds like both were just because the band, and Mercury in particular, threw everything they had at the music, and didn't put any governors on their musical motors.

Biopics are a mixed bag, but this one is worth a trip to the theater (and preferably one with a good sound system!).

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I saw it once at a premiere here in NYC with my sister. I loved it so much that I took my wife and kids to see it.

Lets just say this, my kids are now fans of Queen and they are 16 and 13 so they are not easy to win over.

You owe it to yourself to see it in IMAX.

The ending was really phenomenal. The pacing was done quite well and I will mention, I think where the movie breaks ground is how it showed how Freddie Mercury struggled with his sexuality. I think for that reason alone, the movie will win some awards. Rami is fantastic and I forgot I was watching a movie at times.

• Members

One thing I learned about Queen recently was that John Deacon came up with that infectious bass line for ‘Another one Bites the Dust’ and in the movie it shows Brian and Rogers less than enthusiastic approval of the line as being ‘Disco’

From what I recently read ( this is open to conjecture) was that John Deacon was influenced by R&B and came up with that line with that particular genre in mind.

Yeah, it was primarily this song that influenced him:

The movie was not 100% historically accurate, but I really enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The movie and cast scored some big moments at the Golden Globes Awards.

Rami had a great Speech about dear Freddie...at the end he kissed the award, held it up and said ‘This is for and because of you, Gorgeous!’

I did see the Movie for a second time as I said I would...and in I-Max.

• Members

It's interesting the winning film only got lukewarm reviews from the "critics," but audiences loved it. And it seemed the critics who liked it, really liked it.

I've noticed movies that poke at critics don't get good reviews :) In Bohemian Rhapsody, there's the montage of negative reviews, and in "The Greatest Showman," one of the undercurrents is that an "everyman" reviewer just doesn't have a clue about what people want to see. I'd like to think reviewers aren't so thin-skinned that it influences how they feel about the movie, but...

Wish I could have seen it in IMAX, but the theater around here was showing some other stupid movie instead. It was still cool in standard, though.

• Moderators

went to see it again this week, and came away with a different take than after the first viewing [i gave it three stars then, and still do].

So focused on Freddie, yet glossed over his later struggles with AIDS to the point where I almost expected he was going to live...:facepalm:

No mention of Brian May's collapse on their American tour opening for Mott the Hoople...which almost derailed the band.

So little attention to the well documented infighting that actually made Queen work so well. Oh they showed a little, but it was a constant with them on every album.

If Deacon was downplayed for comic relief, then I felt Roger Taylor was positively lampooned...'you'd be a dentist'. He was the driving force that kept that band able to move between genres seamlessly...I don't know of many drummers who can play that many styles so well.

All four members are in the Songwriter Hall of Fame, but the film didn't bother mentioning that at the end.

• Members

I saw it one night last week "under the stars" on-board the Caribbean Princess while we sailed between Colon, Panama and Limon, Coasta Rica. Overall I thought it was pretty good but I always hate how they ignore facts for story line and drama. The character playing Freddie did real well but I thought the Brian May character often appeared to be on the verge of having an orgasm.

• 3 weeks later...
  • CMS Author

I watched it on the plane flying home from the NAMM show. I've certainly heard of, and heard Queen, but not being a fan I didn't know anything about their history. I wonder how accurate the history as depicted in the film was. I didn't realize that Bohemian Rhapsody (the song) was a flop when it was released - I heard it plenty on the radio, but that's probably a sign of what kind of radio stations I listen to.

I don't watch many movies, but I thought that the acting in this one was excellent - everyone was believable, and I hope that in real life, Freddie and Brian were as good as they were portrayed in the movie. I'd like to have seen them in a club.

• CMS Author
Mike - Sorry you were limited to the sound fidelity of an airline venue.

It's not like one of those theaters with the La-Z-Boy seats (I haven't been to a theater in years), that's for sure. I don't listen to music for enjoyment on headphones except when I'm on a plane, train, or bus, and then it's usually old hillbilly, blues, or jazz music recorded pre-1940, so fidelity isn't a big issue. I have a set of Audio Technica noise cancelling headphones so that helps a lot on a plane.

Really, I was watching the movie and the music was just part of it. I might have enjoyed it a bit more if I was listening on good speakers, but given that much of the music in the film was either recorded live or made to sound like it was, you don't need too high fidelity for that.

Archived