How Was AES 2018?

Anderton

• CMS Author

Report's in progress. It was remarkably busy this year, whole bunch of new exhibitors. Kali speakers are mighty impressive for $150. The good news is that the console I want was there. The bad news is that it's $85,000. I can't even get anyone to contribute as little as 85 cents to my Go To NAMM Or Bust cause.

Want to do an AES crawl at NAMM?

• CMS Author

with the new, spread-out arrangement, it seems really problematic just to get enough time to see a fraction of the show.

Time to get a scooter, particularly if you work with appointments - you might find yourself going the length of the convention center several times in a day if you don't plan really well! Because there's so much on exhibit at the NAMM show that doesn't interest me in the slightest, and there are sections of the show floor that drive me to take the long way around them, I found it easier to get to what I wanted to see since they got most of the audio exhibitors concentrated in their own building. I still do Hall E first, but last year I went straight over to the audio section and stayed there for the rest of the day. No drums or fuzz boxes. There's a press room in the walkway between the old and new sections in case you can't make the trek without stopping for a cup of coffee.

Since the US AES show seems to have found a home in New York, I wouldn't be surprised if the AES corner of NAMM grows. The AES@NAMM technical program looks bigger this year than last, though, like last year, most of the "training" sessions are conducted by the manufacturers. That can be a good thing as long as they don't become sales talks, because they're folks who know what they're talking about.

• Members
Report's in progress. It was remarkably busy this year, whole bunch of new exhibitors. Kali speakers are mighty impressive for $150. The good news is that the console I want was there. The bad news is that it's $85,000. I can't even get anyone to contribute as little as 85 cents to my Go To NAMM Or Bust cause.

Want to do an AES crawl at NAMM?

$85,000 is nothing in 21st century dollars. What console was it?

Archived